Dojaangs

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What makes a great Dojaang in everybody view.
Here is my list
1. A instructor who is humble
2. A instructor that makes every student feel good about themselfs
3. One that can accept they do not know everything
4. A Dojaang that gives back to there community in some way

Thanks I look forward to your response

GOD BLESS AMERICA

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
What makes a great Dojang in everybody view.
Here is my list
2. A instructor that makes every student feel good about themselves
4. A Dojang that gives back to their community in some way

Did you mean that "one" the instructor or the student? Actually it is both, you probably agree though, as it goes in with humility for everyone.
The points you listed are good. In addition:

- A instructor who has a planned lesson not just the whim of the day.

- Basics but done differently to make it interesting each time

- At least two days of hard workout for cardiovascular/fitness benefit.

- Having a time requiremen/minimum classes for going to testing. I've seen "talented" kids testing early, but not being mentally ready or mature enough for rank. I've seen adults, who hardly go, come and train hard for a couple of weeks and go to test thinking they should pass.

-A signup sheet for cleanup responsiblities by all ranks past green unless the student is already donating time for something else.

-Keeping the student's safety and well-being in mind. Like for instance hamstring injury caused by telling them to "bounce" down.

-Keeping discipline in the class. How would it appear to a prospective student and their parent if some students are running around or some are talkative instead of practicing form, for instance.

-Asking a student to particularly work on one thing that they are good at and making it their technique. Builds esteem also.

-Don't pass students until they know the basics, long stances, held front kicks at whatever level they should be at, for instance.

-Have a friendly atmosphere. Get togethers-twice a year at least

-Have Demo signup sheets, tournaments

-Have special classes-weapons, Black Belt, team form, self-defense for women, kick-boxing (not the choreographed line stuff) but on a bag

-equipment-mats, standup bags, focus paddles, balls to spin heel, bungee ripcords, stretch machine, weigh scale

All I can think of right now....TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Here is my list

I hope at some point they teach TKD as well.

T

TKD USA

A very dedicated teacher. with a gun.
:mp5:

Just kiding about the gun part

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Signs of a good Dojang:

1. An Instructor who actually works with the color belts and Dan students to make sure technique and manners are where they should be instead of just delegating all teaching to his black belts.

2. Black belts who actually have good technique. I've seen many black belts who didn't.

3. Instructors who know not only WHAT technique to do but WHY it is done a certain way.

4. Instructors who have credentials that are clear and traceable that don't involve breaking off from your Instructor or getting kicked out of your old organization.

5. Schools that emphasize manners and etiquette.

6. Schools that have black belt classes taught by the Head Instructor. Black belt classes help inspire color belts to earn black belts themselves.

7. Schools that emphasize actually practicing and sweating instead of buying whatever merchandise the Instructor is selling.

8. Instructors who can teach to each particular student. Each student has individual goals and needs.

9. Instructors who are more concerned with helping their students succeed than in making themselves look good.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Dunno. Sounded more like a finishing school to me.
JUST BECAUSE YOU TRY TO DO THE RIGHT THING IN YOUR LIFE DOES NOT MAKE TRAINING ANY EASIER... I WAS THOUGHT TO ALWAYS GIVE BACK WHEN YOU ARE BLESS, MY SCHOOL GIVES AWAY 12 SCHOLARSHIPS AWAY TO STUDENT SO THEY CAN COME FOR TRAINING, WE HAVE A LOCAL BUSINESS ALONG WITH (OTHER STUDENTS PARENT) THAT HELPS TO MAKE SURE WE CAN GIVE BACK WHAT WE SO TAKEN FOR GRANTED... NOT A FINISHING SCHOOL JUST A THOUGHTFUL DOJAANG.....GOD BLESS YOU AND AMERICA

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's hard to tell when things like "Emphaisizes sound technique" and "Motivates students to do their best" lose out to "Makes everyone have high self-esteem". They're all useful in a good instructor, but if the TKD's left unsaid, it really does just sound like a church or some kind of social club, like Boy Scouts.

A good Dojang teaches a martial art.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
It's hard to tell when things like "Emphaisizes sound technique" and "Motivates students to do their best" lose out to "Makes everyone have high self-esteem". They're all useful in a good instructor, but if the TKD's left unsaid, it really does just sound like a church or some kind of social club, like Boy Scouts.

A good Dojang teaches a martial art.
If by teaches a martial art you mean just practicing to bang heads, then that's not how I conduct class anyway. Why would anyone go to a class if the Instructor constantly criticizes them for not measuring up? You will always have the top students who push themselves, and the rest just do the best they can. Not being great in Tae Kwon Do doesn't mean you are a failure as a student.
Tae Kwon Do is more than just self defense. It is a program for your whole life. Many people who start, myself included, start because life is throwing rocks at them. Especially for these students, encouragement and self esteem should be emphasized. Otherwise Tae Kwon Do is dominated by athletes and fighters.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
If by teaches a martial art you mean just practicing to bang heads, then that's not how I conduct class anyway.

Not what I meant, but IMO the other stuff should only contribute to the MA rather than being the focus in of itself. The humble teacher who allows mistakes, asks only for the best out of every student (best being each student's personal best) facillitates the training, being humble, learning to give money to chairty etc shouldn't be the focus IMO. They should be done simply because it makes sense to do so.

Personally I don't beleive that TKD or any Do art really imparts this humility, the self-sacrifice etc any better than any other group activity will if that participant wants to not have rocks thrown at them by the other participants sooner or later. People get along because they have to, not because there's something inherently peace giving or ego diminishing unique to TMA's etc.

You will always have the top students who push themselves, and the rest just do the best they can. Not being great in Tae Kwon Do doesn't mean you are a failure as a student.

"Do your best, then do a little more." Not an unreasonable request really.

Tae Kwon Do is more than just self defense.

That may be so, but that's why it exists in the first place. You are in fact, teaching people how to fight.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Not what I meant, but IMO the other stuff should only contribute to the MA rather than being the focus in of itself. The humble teacher who allows mistakes, asks only for the best out of every student (best being each student's personal best) facillitates the training, being humble, learning to give money to chairty etc shouldn't be the focus IMO. They should be done simply because it makes sense to do so.

Personally I don't beleive that TKD or any Do art really imparts this humility, the self-sacrifice etc any better than any other group activity will if that participant wants to not have rocks thrown at them by the other participants sooner or later. People get along because they have to, not because there's something inherently peace giving or ego diminishing unique to TMA's etc.

"Do your best, then do a little more." Not an unreasonable request really.

That may be so, but that's why it exists in the first place. You are in fact, teaching people how to fight.
Marginal, TKD is an art of fighting. Maybe you should go to Korea or any Asian country for that matter there Masters are Humble, they teach how to flurrish a tree, how to do gardening to relaxe the spiritual aspect of one mind, they even go out to help the villages to grow wheat and rice in the fields... That is giving back to there community.. I know you believe only in the the sport of TKD and I mean the Sport, TKD in this country has become sport, not for fighting on the street.... Thanks for your opion, I will stick by my guns and keep teaching with respect and the art of TKD... GOD BLESS AMERICA

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Marginal, TKD is an art of fighting. Maybe you should go to Korea or any Asian country for that matter there Masters are Humble,

If that was true, there wouldn't be scandal in the WTF, and 4 different ITF's right now. Asian masters are just as human as anyone else.

know you believe only in the the sport of TKD and I mean the Sport, TKD in this country has become sport, not for fighting on the street....

You really should at some point, read the posts that you're attempting to reply to. If you had, you'd notice I said nothing about sport, and I said nothing contrary to tradition.

Thanks for your opion, I will stick by my guns and keep teaching with respect and the art of TKD... GOD BLESS AMERICA

Just be sure you at some point do actually teach TKD. Flourishing trees is nice and all...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
If that was true, there wouldn't be scandal in the WTF, and 4 different ITF's right now.

You know nothing about me or what I think. Sorry.

Just be sure you at some point do actually teach TKD. Flourishing trees is nice and all...
MARGINAL Thanks for your opion and yes you are right with all organization fighting just like any sport and remember WTF, ITF are all sport driven not actually the Art.. I respect your opion and I hope you can respect mine.. and by the way we do teach TKD... Thank you And God Bless You and Yours....

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
MARGINAL Thanks for your opion and yes you are right with all organization fighting just like any sport and remember WTF, ITF are all sport driven not actually the Art..
Right. Which orgs do focus on this traditional TKD then?

I respect your opion and I hope you can respect mine..
Dismissing me as some sport obsessed fool doesn't really make me beleive you respect my opinion somehow.

L

Littledragon

terryl965 said:
Here is my list

Thanks I look forward to your response

GOD BLESS AMERICA
I totally agree with your list their. What makes a great dojo/dojaang im my opinion is: The atmosphere. The atmosphere must be a friendly atmosphere where you are able to easily communicate with the fellow students around you. Most important when you walk in you have to feel that this place is right for you and the school and master's are highly skilled and qualified in what they are teaching. Next the master. The master has to posess great skills and knowledge on martial arts predominantally the style he excells in. Most important the master/instructor must connect and adapt with the student. The master must be able to give adivce that helps a student in their life and make a difference when needed. The master has to be their for all of his students and run it as a school of martial arts where not only is he helping the students out physically and mentally but helping them become a better person as well. Also the master should but buisness seperate from true passion for teaching meaning not to be bribed for 2,000 for a blackbelt and stuff like that.

Tarek ;)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marginal said:

That was insulting. Or did you not realize that he already has a school and is a good teacher of TAEKWONDO? And I think you missed the point that the better TKD schools do teach values such as humility. I certainly hope your school does. Obviously that is important to Terry1965 if you read his other posts.

He never said you were sport obscessed and I don't believe he was trying to insult you. Yes, WTF & ITF's are having their problems, but that is not really representative of the schools in this country teaching one on one, the martial "art" of TKD. Which he endeavors to teach. Those WTF/ITF problems are organizational with some human weakness thrown in.

People don't get along because of ego, lacking humility. It takes work to see someone else's viewpoint and to be humble enough to walk in their shoes. God forbid the martial artist who gets all the way up to black belt and doesn't have humility. Makes you think that this is what the real problem is with some in martial arts. Maybe MA schools should be teaching more values not less, don't you think? TW

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LittleDragon and TigerWoman thanks, Marginal sorry if you feel I do not respect you I have no intension of ever doing that, if I did judge you I'm sorry, I try not to judge people I do not know, it's not in my values....GOD BLESS AMERICA

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
That was insulting. Or did you not realize that he already has a school and is a good teacher of TAEKWONDO? And I think you missed the point that the better TKD schools do teach values such as humility.

I think you should read my response to Michigan TKD before you start trying to presume on what I'm saying, or not saying. Like I ALREADY stated, those aspects are important, but they should compliment the training, not supplant the training.

He never said you were sport obscessed and I don't believe he was trying to insult you.

Sure he did. "I know you believe only in the the sport of TKD and I mean the Sport, TKD in this country has become sport, not for fighting on the street.... " Not only was that insulting, he blatantly ignored what I had written in only the post before. Least I did him the courtesy of actually reading his post. If I respond thoughtfully and I get "You're not learning anything useful, and I know you're dedicated to that." in response, I'm not going to be especially polite in following responses. He's already shown me where he wants the conversation to go.

People don't get along because of ego, lacking humility. It takes work to see someone else's viewpoint and to be humble enough to walk in their shoes. God forbid the martial artist who gets all the way up to black belt and doesn't have humility. Makes you think that this is what the real problem is with some in martial arts. Maybe MA schools should be teaching more values not less, don't you think? TW

I think we should be realisitic about how those teachings will be applied. As personalities, egos etc will continue to conflict no matter how many times you talk about humility, and the fact that it happens in even the highest circles tends to indicate that teaching more values isn't going to solve what is at its core, an unsolvable problem. Can't root out human nature. Even worse, there are people who are proud of their humility, which totally defeats the point.

At the end of a day, you're still training a MA. If you have a good instructor, they probably will be humble, etc. They'll also be running an established dojang because they realized a long time ago that doing those things retains students.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal in my previous post I did say I was sorry and did not mean to hurt you in anyway

Latest Discussions