Does Wing Chun have hooks?

Teapot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have zero experience in Wing Chun. I have a few questions:

Does Wing Chun have “Hooks”? I’m broadly just asking if it has a strike that has a rounded trajectory. I ask this because my understanding is that Wing Chun has a philosophy that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line – hence their iconic straight punches.

If the answer is yes, my follow-up questions would be:
  • Is this practiced in the form? Can you locate it for me in which form it’s in?
  • And how do you reconcile having this toolkit while also emphasizing the philosophy of the shortest distance being a straight line?
The internet confuses me on this point because some say:

1701813501334.png

1701813525624.png
'

But then I see...
1701813569776.png

I have seen videos where the practitioner demonstrates a "hook"... but it's unclear to me that came from their curriculum or if they just added it in from an external source such as Boxing.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry for the short response...on my cell phone at the moment.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, the Wing Chun I learned (Yip Man - Leung Ting) has hooks. They are used exactly as WCKF92said: When that's the shortest distance between your fist and your target.

The inward hooking energy is hinted at in Siu Nim Tau (returning from sideward fak-sau to double lan sau), is more apparent in Chum Kiu (turning lan-sau) and downright explicit in our Biu Tze form.

We don't have any long-bridge haymakers though like CLF.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Does Wing Chun have “Hooks”?
This is great example of Wing Chun diversity. While @geezer 's lineage has a hook in Biu Jee, the Wing Chun that I train (WSLVT) does not. The reasons in our differences are supported by how we interpret and train the system, which ultimately shapes the final outcome (physical actions).

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes. Agree. One could view it (3rd form action) as a "hook." However, one could also view that movement as a method of power generation to return your fist to the center.
Agreed. From my perspective, what you call the "power generation" thing is a better way to look at it. I think reducing the forms to specific applications is limiting and misses the larger point.

But, still. You can sure use that movement back to center to punch the crap out of somebody! :)

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
OF course Wing Chun has hook strikes.

This is the Shaolin art of Snake, Crane, and Dragon..

Latest Discussions