Does this happen at your school

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK I go to A lot OF Tournaments and visit a lot of other schools (live for martial arts)
Now Let me know if this happens at your school to?

Lately I have been seen this it has happen a lot more but first time I noticed. OK How often do you see people who are in martial arts for a year or two then get to an advance belt and think that there UN stoppable and all they care about is the next rank. Mainly Like kids and girls at my school who would not be able to do anything to me compared to what I could do to them. I just feel it is giving people a false sense of defense and going to make them have a big fall if they ever get in a fight. It starting to seem like a lot of them want to have martial arts as a fashion statement LoL so let me know what u think.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
People join martial arts for a variety of reasons. If your martial art school is good, it only promotes people who have (1) attended classes regularly (2) learned the requirements and developed physically (3) gained or exhibited character and moral standards. But if it does promote people too easily without paying attention to those steps, what does that say for your training as well? I have seen some that do these requirements but get promoted too fast and are unable to do the sparring end very well, also.

My master's theory is that it does come together at some point, like a light bulb coming on. Some are later, some are sooner. Everybody is different in learning, everybody learns at a different pace. I have seen young men who are great in sparring but terrible in forms and slow motion kicks. If you have not gone through the whole process its harder to second guess the master. He may have alot more experience in teaching and knows how people learn. Myself, I believe more time is needed in each belt rank and each set of requirements should not be rushed. Those that put into it, get it out three-fold. Those that are impatient only hurt themselves and they seldom make it to the perceived end, the black belt. Even if they do, they quit before they realize it is but the beginning. I would only be concerned about your own progress and don't compare yourself to others. They may be gone soon. Keep up your good work. TW

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
My master's theory is that it does come together at some point, like a light bulb coming on. Some are later, some are sooner. Everybody is different in learning, everybody learns at a different pace. I have seen young men who are great in sparring but terrible in forms and slow motion kicks. If you have not gone through the whole process its harder to second guess the master. He may have alot more experience in teaching and knows how people learn.
Agreed.

- Ceicei

T

Tkang_TKD

I've seen it a little bit at my school, but mostly from a select few of the children's advanced belts. Our adult/Teen female advanced belts act as if they are timid, but have a very good skill level, and very good defense techniques. If they ever figure it out, they'll be very dangerous :)

T

tsunami

Adam, It happens in all schools. There is always a layering of students with different skills at every belt level. If your school attracts alot of people who you veiw as less serious about training than you would like. You may want to find a school with a harder edge. In the end, school and stye choice is all about personal taste and use.

Respectfully, George

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Obviously children are graded on a different scale than adults. The theory is that agains an untrained adult, they would have a chance. The other part of the theory is that once they do become adults they will "step-up" to the level that they should be at. These are both true in my experience. I was a black belt before I was 16 yrs. and I couldn't do much to the adults of equal ability or rank. I did realize this however, and as I trained with the adults, I "stepped up" to where I should have been. I now hold my second dan, and will be testing this december for my 3rd dan at 20 yrs. of age.

This little lesson on my personal history is basically trying to give some proof that though children would not stand a chance against an adult of equal ability, they should be at the rank they are because of their understanding of their study. There are obviously limits to a childs understanding, no 10 year old black belts.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman hit the nail on the head... Can't get any better than that statement.GOD BLESS AMERICA

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
OK I go to A lot OF Tournaments and visit a lot of other schools (live for martial arts)
Now Let me know if this happens at your school to?

Lately I have been seen this it has happen a lot more but first time I noticed. OK How often do you see people who are in martial arts for a year or two then get to an advance belt and think that there UN stoppable and all they care about is the next rank. Mainly Like kids and girls at my school who would not be able to do anything to me compared to what I could do to them. I just feel it is giving people a false sense of defense and going to make them have a big fall if they ever get in a fight. It starting to seem like a lot of them want to have martial arts as a fashion statement LoL so let me know what u think.
I would say it isn't the 'training' or even the instructor as much as the developmental stage. Teen/adolescent years are all about finding identity and 'ownership' of something that makes you distinct from others (but still gives you a social group to belong to, what ironic creatures we are) and "not like mom and dad" in some cases....

The ego/external reward phase of motivation is part of the personal cycle of training. I am sure in the past or in the future, even for a fleeting moment everyone has been motivated by that 'next fix' of promotion/recognition/acclaim....

Maybe it isn't so much the 'rank' they are craving as much as that challenging experience of stress, adventure and challenge with the reward/recognition of a job well done (promotion or 'rank') that they really found meaningful and significant. That may not be your way, but it might be 'serious' none the less.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So its like a lot of students don't like the color of there belt...for example green personally i don't like it...but when I get to that point...I won't really care cause i earned it.....vanity is a sin. I wear a Black Gi and my white belt actually looked good with it...i liked it...well so does every other bright color...but what happens when i get to black??? i guess i will just blend in like a Ninja. Anywho My Gi is what i earn...nothing on it or about it is extra...thats why i am proud of my belt and my patchs cause I had to work hard for them.... :asian:

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
QUOTE"Adam, It happens in all schools. There is always a layering of students with different skills at every belt level. If your school attracts alot of people who you veiw as less serious about training than you would like. You may want to find a school with a harder edge. In the end, school and stye choice is all about personal taste and use"

If I go away to collage I have found A school that trains hard with good fighters. I Realy enjoy fighting better people cause I get better!

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
I would say yes, this has happened at my school. It was also found that the best fighters are the quiet, humble ones.The ones who have high opinions of themselves usually get put in their place real fast by those who know their stuff, but don't boast about it.

I remember one experience was with a high red belt who thought he was invincible. He tried to be the teacher, and had advice for everyone, whether they wanted it or not. One day, there was a big sparring class. This guy said he would "Take it easy on the lower belts". A high green belt was then told by two seperate instructors (neither of them talked with the other on this), to waste him. He was wasted. He shut up for a while after that.

Latest Discussions