Does this exercise look stupid in a gym?

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
(Originally posted at a relatively inactive weightlifting forum.)

Isometric shoulder raises with dumbbells shouldn't look stupid. But what if it's done in the traditional Kung Fu horse stance? This is the horse stance: Google Image Result for http://emac04.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/4.jpg

It's both a strength and endurance exercise among Kung Fu enthusiasts and practitioners. I first saw it in an anime and I thought to myself, for something that comes from a cartoon, it looks pretty cool. The problem is, I don't look like a great Chinese Shaolin monk. Chinese yes since I'm Asian, but not a Shaolin monk. So if they see some goofy fat dude like me doing something stupid, it would only add to the silliness of it all. lol.

But what do you think? Does it look stupid?

Thanks folks.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Isometric shoulder raises with dumbbells shouldn't look stupid. But what if it's done in the traditional Kung Fu horse stance? This is the horse stance: Google Image Result for http://emac04.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/4.jpg

It's both a strength and endurance exercise among Kung Fu enthusiasts and practitioners. I first saw it in an anime and I thought to myself, for something that comes from a cartoon, it looks pretty cool. The problem is, I don't look like a great Chinese Shaolin monk. Chinese yes since I'm Asian, but not a Shaolin monk. So if they see some goofy fat dude like me doing something stupid, it would only add to the silliness of it all. lol.

Thanks folks.
gyms have bexmcoje very toxic places, with fat shamming and technques shamming, your likely to end up on a Mickey taking vid on you tube.

the only issiues is do you care if you look stupid? if not carry on, if so get some dumbells and do it at home

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Bee. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does it look stupid?

In the gym, when everybody is doing this,

weight-pulley.jpg

I was doing this. Do I look stupid, or do everybody else look stupid?

Everybody just try to build muscle. I try to build muscle plus "something else".

weight-pulley4.jpg

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the gym, when everybody is doing this,

weight-pulley.jpg

I was doing this. Do I look stupid, or do everybody else look stupid?

Everybody just try to build muscle. I try to build muscle plus "something else".

weight-pulley4.jpg

I do have to ask you though...

That exercise you presented (the one YOU DID) is undoubtedly a twisting-motion exercise for better punching power. The POINT of it is very good and makes perfect sense. What I do find odd about it is the position of the equipment on your body.

Why did you have to wrap it around your back like that? lol. You can do the same kind of exercise by simply holding it with your hands and twisting that way. It's hard to explain but I've seen it in a YouTube video. I can dig around my playlists and link it to you. I just don't know the name of it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do have to ask you though...

That exercise you presented (the one YOU DID) is undoubtedly a twisting-motion exercise for better punching power. The POINT of it is very good and makes perfect sense. What I do find odd about it is the position of the equipment on your body.

Why did you have to wrap it around your back like that? lol. You can do the same kind of exercise by simply holding it with your hands and twisting that way. It's hard to explain but I've seen it in a YouTube video. I can dig around my playlists and link it to you. I just don't know the name of it.
I SUSPECT ITS A THROWING PEOPLE ON THE FLOOR EXERCISE

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- You can go into the woods.
- Use your left hand to hold on a tree branch.
- Spin your body.
- Use your right upper arm to break that tree branch.

After you have broken 1,000 tree branches, when you get hold on your opponent's wrist, you can break that arm if you want to.

You can pull with the arm too. There are many weight pulley training that can develop different MA skills.

weight-pulley1.jpg

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Thanks folks.

It depends. Is everyone else doing this?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it'd look stupid, but I also don't care too much if I did look stupid in the gym. I'll do body weight squats with kicks in the corner in between weights/machines, and I'm certain it weirds some people out.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t spend time in fitness gyms to much bs...to many teenagers standing on a Turned off treadmill Texting or taking selfies, to many guys focusing on looking cool for girls rather than work out. But frankly who cares what people think you’re paying to be there just like them and as long as what you’re doing isn’t breaking rules or putting anyone in danger do what you want

Latest Discussions