Does anyone know what is Pangai-noon

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
So i was talking to a friend of my who did karate and he said one karate style was based on a kungfu style called Pangai-noon or 半硬軟/半硬软 in chinese. I have never heard of this style and can't find much info on it. Does anyone know about this style?[h=1][/h]

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
So i was talking to a friend of my who did karate and he said one karate style was based on a kungfu style called Pangai-noon or 半硬軟/半硬软 in chinese. I have never heard of this style and can't find much info on it. Does anyone know about this style?

Wasn't it the one before Pangai-nights.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i was talking to a friend of my who did karate and he said one karate style was based on a kungfu style called Pangai-noon or 半硬軟/半硬软 in chinese. I have never heard of this style and can't find much info on it. Does anyone know about this style?

Don't know where you're looking, but uechi ryu karate is said to be based on pangai-noon. Kanbun Uechi is said to have studied with the founder, who was said to have studied Jow Ga and Fukien temple boxing before founding his own school in the late 19th century. Beyond that, I don't know much-most of what I said here is what I was told by a friend who studies uechi-ryu.....

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I understand, after Kanei passed away, some groups split off from the main Uechi Ryu branch and renamed their approach something different out of respect for the family name (I have also heard that the family requested it, but that is politics I don't know/care about).

So, if you would like to know more, research the style of Uechi-Ryu in general. If you want to see very good examples of it. Go to youtube and type in "Shinyu Gushi", an amazing martial artist who is unfortunately no longer with us.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kanbun Uechi was supposed to have studied martial arts with an instructor in Fujian, China known as Shushiwa. Whether this was his real name, a translation, or a knickname cannot be positively determined as far as I can tell. He was believed to be an instructor of Fujian Tiger fist. While in China, Uechi learned three forms- Sanchin, Seisan, and Sanseiru. I remember reading somewhere that he was unable to learn the fourth form, Suparinpei. All four of these forms exist in Goju-ryu, but in a different form. The Uechi version of Sanchin, for example, uses open hands as opposed to Goju's fists, and has a different breathing pattern. Supposedly Kanbun Uechi called what he had learned "Pangainoon", claiming it meant half-hard, half-soft. Later, practitioners began to refer to the style as "Uechi-ryu". As punisher73 stated above, a splinter group (or groups) started once again referring to it as "Pangainoon", perhaps due to some conflict with the Uechi family.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kanbun Uechi was supposed to have studied martial arts with an instructor in Fujian, China known as Shushiwa. Whether this was his real name, a translation, or a knickname cannot be positively determined as far as I can tell. He was believed to be an instructor of Fujian Tiger fist. While in China, Uechi learned three forms- Sanchin, Seisan, and Sanseiru. I remember reading somewhere that he was unable to learn the fourth form, Suparinpei. All four of these forms exist in Goju-ryu, but in a different form. The Uechi version of Sanchin, for example, uses open hands as opposed to Goju's fists, and has a different breathing pattern. Supposedly Kanbun Uechi called what he had learned "Pangainoon", claiming it meant half-hard, half-soft. Later, practitioners began to refer to the style as "Uechi-ryu". As punisher73 stated above, a splinter group (or groups) started once again referring to it as "Pangainoon", perhaps due to some conflict with the Uechi family.

Correct. Uechi Kanbun Sensei was in China for a total of 13 years. Ten as a student in the Shaolin temple and three as an instructor. Upon his return to Okinawa (and Japan at one time) he refused to teach initially but later did begin teaching. He called what he taught Pangainoon. It was known by this name until after his passing. His son, Uechi Kanei Sensei renamed the system Uechi Ryu. After his passing, Uechi Kammei Sensei (the grandson) took the reigns of the system. According to many I've spoken with, politics divided the system in the early 90's. Uechi Ryu remained as a system but many seniors broke off. Now we have Pangainoon, Pangainoon Karate, Pangainoon Kempo, Pangainoon Ryu, Pangainoon Jutsu etc. The number I was given was that there were 16 individual factions. Uechi Ryu has a centralized organizations, the various Pangainoon offshoots do not.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
hey all, i feel i needed to chime in here to make a few comments. i practice uechi-ryu. i started in 1993. i know and have met many great practioners of the style. for the original poster Qianfeng, if you have any specific questions i would be gald to help find the answer.
... kanbun Uechi studied in china 1897-1910 while folklore says he studied in the southern shaolin temple there is no evidence to my knowledge that a temple ever exsisted. he called the system Pwang-gai-noon. this is a Hakka language term meaning to move in and out quickly but hit hard. my intepretation would be to "float like a butterfly and sting like a sledgehammer" his teacher was shu shi wa in Japanese and Chou-tzu-ho in Chinese. Uechi-ryu is not based on Pwang-gai-noon, it is Pwang-gai-noon but the flavor has changed a bit over the years. Shu-shi-wa was not the founder of the system as far as we can tell and it is not a renamed version of any other style like 5 ancestor. politics have spit the system. i do not know about all those pwang-gai-noon associations as mentioned the only one i know who calls it Pangai-noon is Shinyu Gushi and his students. Kanmei Uechi since it is his last name and his grandfathers system has retained the rights to the name Uechi. George Mattson brought the art to America in 1958 and he and his students use the name Uechi-ryu and have retained a connection with kanmei. many Okinawan senior practitioners have created their own orginaization called Shohei-ryu and so in America if you have a connection to the Okinawan seniors you probably call the system by this name. Many would call the art karate because of its Okinawan connections but it is a Chinese art. Kanbun taught in China and taught using the chinese language. however it must be looked at with a view of history in that Kanbun was in China during the boxer rebellion and does not have the "feel" of modern day wushu.