Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess she died?
Someone said that MA has 3 levels, the

- physical level,
- mental level,
- spiritual level.

After all these years, I think I'm still in the physical level.

To me MA is

1. fist meets face, or
2. head meet ground.

I just can't care less anything that can't help me to achieve 1 and 2.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

- physical level,
- mental level,
- spiritual level.

To me MA is

1. fist meets face, or
2. head meet ground.

Good news, I'm almost positive all 4 Secret Words are on your level.

Teachers love to dumb stuff down. It's the silly students who muddy stuff up trying to validate themselves.

This is anti Confucian-Daoist thought. 4 ways instead of 103 sounds like progress.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

- physical level,
- mental level,
- spiritual level.

To me MA is

1. fist meets face, or
2. head meet ground.

I think the spiritual is what you bring with you. It's not part of the martial arts. Monks were already spiritual before kung fu was introduced to them.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel I may live on Mars, and I don't understand how earth people may talk. I don't understand the meaning of the following text. Do you?

What is the meaning of "His power generation was empty,"?

"His power generation was empty, leaving the opponent not knowing what happened or how the power was released. His power was so perfected as to be called mysterious.”

Last edited:

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of writings in the martial arts can have a mystical sense to them. Each person who reads them will create their own interpretation. Trying to describe a physical practice using the written can be difficult at the best of times.

Read less, train more, and learn from your own experiences of the martial arts - this is sure to help you eliminate the mysterious elements of the written word :D

Last edited:

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever read some text that you understand each and every words. But you just have no idea what the whole text is trying to say?

Do you understand the following text?

THE FOUR-WORD SECRET FORMULA (by Wu Yuxiang)

1. SPREAD: Spreading means moving energy in your own body to spread over the opponent’s power, making him unable to move.

2. COVER: Covering means using energy to cover the area the opponent attacks.

3. MATCH: Matching means using energy to match the opponent’s attack, knowing for certain where his target is and sending him away from it.

4. ENGULF: Engulfing means using energy to completely absorb the opponent’s attack and neutralize it.

These four words are about something invisible and silent, and if you are not yet identifying energies and have practiced to a point of extreme refinement, you will not be able to understand them. They are entirely about energy. If you can nurture energy with integrity, it will not be corrupted, and you will begin to be able to send it into your limbs, and then your limbs will instinctively know what to do.
Understand what the terms mean, and how they'er used....

If one does not study "energy, why should they, or how would they, know if they haven't studied this aspect.
Just as in the following...

"Anybody who wants to repeat an experiment in modern subatomic physics has to undergo many years of training.

Only then will he or she be able to ask nature a specific question through the experiment and to understand the answer.

Similarly, a deep mystical experience requires, generally, many years of training under an experienced master and, as in the scientific training, the dedicated time does not alone guarantee success.

If the student is successful, however, he or she will be able to ‘repeat the experiment’. The repeatability of the experience is, in fact, essential to every mystical training and is the very aim of the mystics’ spiritual instruction."

The four words are for those who do have an idea through training, practice, or experience, just as in subatomic physics, with out training none of it would make sense...for those seeking to understand the answer ...it won't make sense.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A lot of writings in the martial arts can have a mystical sense to them. Each person who reads them will create their own interpretation. Trying to describe a physical practice using the written can be difficult at the best of times.

Read less, train more, and learn from your own experiences of the martial arts - this is sure to help you eliminate the mysterious elements of the written word :D
In your opinion, what's the meaning of the following text?

"His power generation was empty, leaving the opponent not knowing what happened or how the power was released. His power was so perfected as to be called mysterious.”

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score

Where did this sentence come from? Who are they talking about? Is it with reference to a particular style of fighting and a certain rule-set? It makes very little sense when isolated from the original context - if you tell us where this text was extracted from then it may help, otherwise your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I suspect it's a matter of translation. By "empty" the writer may have meant the "void," meaning that the power generation was unable to be perceived by the opponent, generated internally, unseen, without telegraphing. Sun Tsu wrote that his enemies knew not how he achieved victory. In this light, the quote makes sense.

Latest Discussions