The defence attorney almost died.
The judge asked both counsellors to approach the bench and,
In a very quiet voice, said,
"If either of you idiots asks her if she knows me,
I'll send you to the electric chair".

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
O.K., this isn't a joke but a small Southern town legal story.

I grew up in the small Alabama community where this happened. One Sunday in the 1960s, a man confronted another man in a church parking lot after the morning service. The first man was convinced the second was sleeping with his wife (which he was) and after a few minutes of yelling back and forth, the first man pulled a gun and shot the second man dead in front of about 20 witnesses. Jump ahead to the trial and the defense lawyer really hasn't even bothered trying to dispute that his client killed a man, he just focuses on the fact that the murdered man was foolin' around with this poor man's wife. In his closing argument, the lawyer starting singing AMAZING GRACE with tears running down his cheeks. His client was found not guilty on all charges.

Is it any wonder that most of the great American novelists come from the South. Our reality is weirder than most folks fiction. :)

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I grew up in the small Alabama community where this happened. One Sunday in the 1960s, a man confronted another man in a church parking lot after the morning service. The first man was convinced the second was sleeping with his wife (which he was) and after a few minutes of yelling back and forth, the first man pulled a gun and shot the second man dead in front of about 20 witnesses. Jump ahead to the trial and the defense lawyer really hasn't even bothered trying to dispute that his client killed a man, he just focuses on the fact that the murdered man was foolin' around with this poor man's wife. In his closing argument, the lawyer starting singing AMAZING GRACE with tears running down his cheeks. His client was found not guilty on all charges.

Is it any wonder that most of the great American novelists come from the South. Our reality is weirder than most folks fiction. :)

Wow, however it seems that things like this are happening all over the palce and not just in the south!
icon6.gif

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

My favorite defense...the "Your Honor, he needed killin' " defense. Beautiful.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow.. as a serial killer all I need to do my stuff legally is to get an unfaithful wife.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
My favorite defense...the "Your Honor, he needed killin' " defense. Beautiful.

This is also known as raising, "the worthless victim defense".

My best moment ever as an Army JAG officer came when I was cross examining an undercover cop I knew was dirty....

Q (by me) : You testified last week in US vs. X, did you not?

A: Yes

Q: You were under oath, weren't you?

A: Yes

Q : Isn't it true, that while tesifying under oath in US vs X, you lied twice?

A: No sir! Just ONCE!

Latest Discussions