Do you have a mantra?

wee_blondie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello folks, just wondering if any of you have a particular favourite saying or motivational phrase that keeps you going? Something that you might say to yourself when you are nervous or scared or maybe to psyche yourself up before taking on a new challange/exam/opponant?

I liked the one we had at a former gym, "Fearless, Focused & Full of Pride" although lately i've been favouring "Soft as silk, hard as a diamond"

Happy posting!

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I don't know about a formal mantra per se, but one phrase that does come out of my mouth quite a bit recently is "oh god, why me?". :)

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only mantra I have happens to be a string of explistives that I frequently use.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
one phrase that does come out of my mouth quite a bit recently is "oh god, why me?". :)

My brother use to say that until the day a loud, deep and booming voice that was preceeded by a crack of thunder answered him by saying "Do you want a list??"

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Often I am asked "where are you?" because of the vacant expression I am giving due to being stuck in my head. Or when I am concerned with something that has yet to happen - I am asked "what time is it?"

So I came up with my own Mantra - "I am Here, Now!"

Farang - Larry

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My brother use to say that until the day a loud, deep and booming voice that was preceeded by a crack of thunder answered him by saying "Do you want a list??"

:D!!!

Good one, Drac!

My own personal mantra, which I repeat several times a day, is `Ogod, why am I such an idiot???! No answer forthcoming... maybe `do you want a list??' is the right answer here as well...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well it use to be “Oh no not again” :)

But believe it or not I do have a mantra and it is “om vajrasattva hum”

It is Buddhist (and yes I do know what it is for) and I am not Buddhist. It is used mainly to get me to focus in day-to-day life, not Qigong or Tai Chi or CMA training. However if my mind is wandering or if I find myself daydreaming prior to any training it stops it quick

I think it is that the words are so different from anything else I say that they force me to stop and think about what I am saying and therefore focus

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is that the words are so different from anything else I say that they force me to stop and think about what I am saying and therefore focus

Hey, XS, that's the main point, right---you do whatever you need to achieve it, eh? Focus... why is it so hard to do???

I feel like such a hypocrite lecturing my 9-year old about how important it is (he's a magnificent kid, but focus is definitely not his strong point), gvien that it takes me an average of a quarter of an hour to find my keys on any given occasion where I desperately need them...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey, XS, that's the main point, right---you do whatever you need to achieve it, eh? Focus... why is it so hard to do???

I feel like such a hypocrite lecturing my 9-year old about how important it is (he's a magnificent kid, but focus is definitely not his strong point), gvien that it takes me an average of a quarter of an hour to find my keys on any given occasion where I desperately need them...

Most unfortunately it has never helped me find my keys, although I have tried...... many times :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is one I have been using at work for the last 9 months or so, "If He swings, do NOT Kill him" or "Do not laugh".

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
The one I use under my breath is too rude and totally non-PC to say on this forum. But it does help me focus. :)

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine is:
HEY, where the white women at?
:lfao: :lfao:
Actually, it's: Where's my coffee at?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have two that I use frequently:

"Persistence, dedication!"

These were the ones I use when I feel like I don't want to go on, but needed to give myself some extra push to go further.

"Do it. Don't stop. Keep moving."

The second mantra was a life-saver in a time when I froze on the side of the cliff while free climbing (off rope). These were the words my instructor told me to snap me out of it and keep going up rather than falling. The bottom of that cliff wouldn't be very pretty as others got injured there from previous times that required a SAR unit (Search And Rescue).

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Do it. Don't stop. Keep moving."

The second mantra was a life-saver in a time when I froze on the side of the cliff while free climbing (off rope). These were the words my instructor told me to snap me out of it and keep going up rather than falling. The bottom of that cliff wouldn't be very pretty as others got injured there from previous times that required a SAR unit (Search And Rescue).

Man I want your instructor! Mine hollered up "Keep going! I am NOT going to drag your dead *** out of here if you fall!" It was an inspiring moment, kind of brings a tear to my eye looking back upon it. It does help that we were great friends, and I knew it was just to get be back on the rock mentally.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man that might be a good one for my MA training as well, just change the "fall" to "fail."

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
"I am created Shiva, The Destroyer. I am made Death, and the Shatterer of Worlds. Who is this dog meat that stands before me?"

Interesting to chant the first 3/4 until you feel it rouse inside you as a cold, steely, calculated rage, barely contained within your skin; great idea when some guy you threw out of a bar has come back with his buddies...bad idea to chant before moving the family crystal collection from one cabinet to another.

D.

Latest Discussions