Do you compete when not ready?

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ive competed a few times when not ready with mixed results. You may do better than you think or it can be quite disheartening. If i dont do well at a comp it makes me train and prepare a lot harder for the next one. My next comp is a week after my Sam Dan test, providing I pass I will be competing against third Dans and Masters. There is no way I will be able to learn Kong Sang Koon in a week and I expect to do quite badly but im still entering all the categories since I have to be there anyway. I plan to just enjoy myself.
Wow, that will be tough, Yossarian.

I feel badly for our Dan candidates. They began testing early this week, had to do two days of competition, and finish testing tomorrow in front of the panel of masters. A very tough week indeed. I would think they are lacking in the sleep department.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We are incouraged to compete but we are not a tournament school so it is not required, except at apprentice black but even then you are required to "participate" in 2 federation tournaments I am not competative so I did registration and clean-up etc. I have only competed once. My question is are you allowed to keep your trophies? Our instructor feels they are your's as you were the one that won them but I have heard of schools that make you bring them in too be displayed at the dojang.
Oh, yes, we are allowed to keep our trophies.

I'm on the fence about competition. I enjoy it but it's also a lot of stress. Honestly, there's the money factor, too.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm so glad I didn't compete with Pyung Ahn O Dan. I learned three more things about the form last night. Sheesh.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are always more things to learn about a form. Remember that it isn't a test...it's a demonstration. Not to say you shouldn't pay attention to the correct techniques, and in fact that's my point. Even if there's some nuance to the form you don't yet know, so long as you're showing overall good technique and good spirit, you should do fine. Judges see each form about a billion times during a tournament; you gotta make yours stand out as exceptional in some way, some highly visible way.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
However, I am not that into competing. I would prefer to quietly learn my art and contribute to the school by teaching some day.

In order for us to get our black belts, we will have to travel to Massachusetts and attend a summer camp hosted by our Grandmaster. I don't know how I'm going to be able to afford it.

Yes, there is pressure to compete. Our association doesn't want you unless you are active via competing. That just happens to be the philosophy.

In my opinion, these comments are very telling. On top of this, we have discussed in the past some of the practices of your school, such as not allowing any restroom breaks or water breaks during a six hour test. These a practices that are downright dangerous, in my opinion.

I don't mean to stir the pot, but I'm noticing a pattern here, and I'll make a suggestion that you can either consider or disregard: you might consider looking for a different school. This one just might not be a good match for you. I know that if I was in your position, I would feel it was not a good match for me and I would not study at that school.

Anyway, I just wanted to make the comment. THink about it, and do what's right for you.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In my opinion, these comments are very telling. On top of this, we have discussed in the past some of the practices of your school, such as not allowing any restroom breaks or water breaks during a six hour test. These a practices that are downright dangerous, in my opinion.

I don't mean to stir the pot, but I'm noticing a pattern here, and I'll make a suggestion that you can either consider or disregard: you might consider looking for a different school. This one just might not be a good match for you. I know that if I was in your position, I would feel it was not a good match for me and I would not study at that school.

Anyway, I just wanted to make the comment. THink about it, and do what's right for you.
It is true, a competition school is not for everyone. I made a commitment, so I'm sticking to it...unless I'm not financially able to do so (regarding competition fees, hotel fees and such).

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are always more things to learn about a form. Remember that it isn't a test...it's a demonstration. Not to say you shouldn't pay attention to the correct techniques, and in fact that's my point. Even if there's some nuance to the form you don't yet know, so long as you're showing overall good technique and good spirit, you should do fine. Judges see each form about a billion times during a tournament; you gotta make yours stand out as exceptional in some way, some highly visible way.
Good points, JT. I recall that people do make errors in their forms but that's not what judges are looking at. When members of my group were doing Chil-Sung forms, I noticed the judges intently watching feet, looking at stances I'm sure. Those students who had snap, intensity, and focus seemed to place better.