Do you "bounce" when you spar?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
depends on the style you're sparring in, the rules of competition dictate your behavior

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were taught to bounce when we spar. Also had alot of training, arduous training at that when you bounce for 10-15 minutes at a time. It does get you large calves and more energy to move. After learning that, I would rather just keep moving, not standing still, not walking around, but moving, switching feet, direction, faking whatever. Standing still, or nearly still and bouncing like a bunny rabbit is a target in my opinion. TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many Taekwondoin "bounce" when they spar-the need to stay light on the feet means you don't want to be flat-footed.

Miles

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do and I don't. I stay light on my feet because getting caught flat footed can often lead to laying flat on your back. I use bouncing to time my opponent and see how quickly they pick up on patterns. Then I change my "rhythm" to keep from getting trapped. I use bouncing and stance changes to break my own timing pattern.

-Josh-

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You never really want your weight on your heels, bouncing on the balls of your feet is one way to prevent it. I do it sometimes, and sometimes I don't. The only problem I have with the bounce is that you have to wait for your weight to come back down to do a serious change in direction. Like dubljay said, if you do, break up your rhythm, otherwise your opponent can catch on to it and attack when you won't be able to avoid it as well...

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I always always always bounce, everyone at my club does, its how we are taught and it keeps you fast and focused i find. But if you bounce to high or don't throw enough fakes its really easy for the other person to throw off your rhythum if they so chose.
Aqua

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say that its more important to have good footwork fundamentals over good bouncing. Being able to effectively move forward, backward, working angles, etc. Basically, taking the principles/concepts from boxing and applying them to your sparring.

Mike

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We bounce(not often)-pulse- and work footwork. One of the cheapest training devices I tell my guys to pick up is a Jump rope. Even if they are not actively bouncing-I want them to incorporate some of that 'lightness' into their movements.

M

Mr_Scissors

I bounce, bob, change stance, stand deeper/more upright, change stepping distance, use broken rhythym, toss feints, vary my attack time (on steps, on opponent's step etc) circle inside/outside and always try to attack when the other guy is breathing in.

Casey_Sutherland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like to moderatly rock, not so much of raising my feet. Rocking the body with having hands not stationary makes you unpredictable and I find easier to bluff your opponent and really get inside their psyche

O

OC Kid

I teach a lot of movement. its not bouncing but it appears to be bouncing (makes sense??) anyway.. The feet dont leave the ground just moving the heels off the deck and using the quads... it helps bridgeing the gap and taking off as well as other things.......but it definately is not just bouncing.

A

Aaron Little

Does bouncing imply that your feet leave the ground (i.e. hopping)? I am picturing a "HOT LAVA!" kind of thing here.

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i think you should. It lets you move faster, if you had to jump back from an axe kick or something you can save time because you will either be in the air or you will already be in position to jump.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aaron Little said:
Does bouncing imply that your feet leave the ground (i.e. hopping)? I am picturing a "HOT LAVA!" kind of thing here.

I am not sure the mental image I am getting is exactly what you mean, but it made me laugh none the same.

When I spar, I try to remain on the balls of my feet and bounce from them. Bobbing and weaving to avoid punches, etc.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:
i think you should. It lets you move faster, if you had to jump back from an axe kick or something you can save time because you will either be in the air or you will already be in position to jump.
why move away (unless this is only for comp.)I would prefer to move in, if you move away you allow the other person another chance.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ppko said:
why move away (unless this is only for comp.)I would prefer to move in, if you move away you allow the other person another chance.
Most definately ppko

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
As others have said, bouncing is dependent on system and situation. I, as a rule, do not bounce. I feel it telegraphs my movements, and I was always trained to keep movements to a minimum. TKD players on the other hand, bounce all over the place from what i've seen, as there's a fair amount of jumping involved.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I bounced more exxaggeratedly when I first started; since I was in poorer shape, I tended to get winded, so I went to a more subtle bounce to conserve energy.

I stiay mostly on my toys with a slight bounce. I tend to have a fairly low stance, though, after watching my sabomnim. Reason is that I think it's quicker to launch an attack, or to evade, if you are already cocked to spring.

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As others have said, bouncing is dependent on system and situation. I, as a rule, do not bounce. I feel it telegraphs my movements, and I was always trained to keep movements to a minimum. TKD players on the other hand, bounce all over the place from what i've seen, as there's a fair amount of jumping involved.
That is why I do not like to bounce. I feel that it telegraphs what I am about to do. Even though I do not bounce, I try to stay on the ball of my toes. I like to have limited movements, so this way my opponent cannot predict what I am about to do.

Latest Discussions