Do Not Let Political or Religious Extremism ...

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly, it's a fate that is repeated whenever a totalitarian regime is allowed to gain power.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
A result of "dumbing down" the masses. Saddening.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A result of "dumbing down" the masses. Saddening.

Not necessarily. The Ayatollah resonated with college students while residing in France (for whatever reason). Although purging the new regime of educated and potentially troublesome intelligentsia seems to be a common threat after coming to power. It baffles me why people will follow an extremist (unusual charisma?) like cattle into a slaughter house.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not necessarily. The Ayatollah resonated with college students while residing in France (for whatever reason). Although purging the new regime of educated and potentially troublesome intelligentsia seems to be a common threat after coming to power. It baffles me why people will follow an extremist (unusual charisma?) like cattle into a slaughter house.

I am assuming that their message resonates with the people who feel backed into a corner to a point when there is no alternative but the radical answer.
You know, when playing by normal rules will just not get you heard.
Sadly, once you picked Belzebub over the Devil, you are no better off.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm..what religion in particular has resulted in this over the millenia?

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm..what religion in particular has resulted in this over the millenia?

You may have to be more specific as to the century. I seem to recall something about the crusades.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whilst I agree that no faith is blameless, I have said before (tho' there are worrying fundamentalist signs again at present) that Christianity went through it's 'teenage' phase centuries ago and became less divisive and more inclusive of difference and change. The extreme elements of Islam are. at present at least, truly horrifying. Don't take my word for it, listen to a lass that knows:

[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24511696[/video]

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You may have to be more specific as to the century. I seem to recall something about the crusades.

The response to Muslim incursions against the Eastern Empire you mean?

The example of the Crusades is vastly overplayed as evidence against Christianity.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The response to Muslim incursions against the Eastern Empire you mean?

The example of the Crusades is vastly overplayed as evidence against Christianity.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Not as evidence against Christianity but as evidence that human behavior has a dark side regardless of creed.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The pictures are a shocking example of a decline if gone unchecked, over many years.......

If I was a powerful Deity of some sort, it's the heart I would go after. Change that and ........ well I digress, sorry.

PS. Wakeup call comes to mind.

Latest Discussions