Do Kata/Forms Define the Style?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I liked it. Looks familiar somehow…🤔
The older the karate the more it looks like kung fu. The younger the Karate the more it looks like something it's own creation.
A: Dear teacher! In our system, does our form map to application?
B: It may not before today. But after today, all our form will map into application.

Do you want to do the task that teacher A intend to do?

Example of the form and application are the same.

I like the last 2 videos. What causes the fall? The wrapping of the leg or the turn after the wrap? Or both?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like the last 2 videos. What causes the fall? The wrapping of the leg or the turn after the wrap? Or both?
You twist your leg starting from your opponent's upper leg and slide all the way down to his ankle (this is the key point). This way you can force his knee to bend side way. Since our knees are not designed to bend side way, the pressure will make your opponent to collapse his structure.

I believe both "leg twist" and "head lock" are going to be missing skills in the future that nobody wants to spend training time into it (because the training is very painful).

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You twist your leg starting from your opponent's upper leg and slide all the way down to his ankle (this is the key point). This way you can force his knee to bend side way. Since our knees are not designed to bend side way, the pressure will make your opponent to collapse his structure.

I believe both "leg twist" and "head lock" are going to be missing skills in the future that nobody wants to spend training time into it (because the training is very painful).

I just did headlock training in my beginners class Tuesday. The kids loved it!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I guess I need a pole to practice on. Lol.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try creating a long format solo form for bjj techniques. It just looks dumb. It's not the same.
If I were to design a BJJ solo form, it wouldn't be composed of a series of technique, but a series of commonly used movement patterns. Like this:

In the video, Galvao is just free-styling it, but I could come up with pre-set sequences along the same lines.

OP
I

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I were to design a BJJ solo form, it wouldn't be composed of a series of technique, but a series of commonly used movement patterns. Like this:

In the video, Galvao is just free-styling it, but I could come up with pre-set sequences along the same lines.
I'll take a double of whatever that guy drank.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just did headlock training in my beginners class Tuesday. The kids loved it!
What kind of head lock training do you teach those children?

I'm not talking about "skill development" (how to apply head lock). I'm talking about "ability development" (how to make head lock strong).

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess I need a pole to practice on. Lol.
Test yourself to see if you can do with only 1 arm.

my_pole_hang.png

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’ve heard that one before…😂
Can't be as bad as a lecture that I gave in class about the need to understand our bodies and how it's not good to be in our bodies fie so man years and yet we have very little ability to get it to do what we need like walk with balance. Then I said we need to build a better relationship with ourselves. The parents giggled because that's what Tyler perry said in one of his movies anout building relations lol.

I couldn't recover. But wad glad it went over the kids head lol

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of head lock training do you teach those children?

I'm not talking about "skill development" (how to apply head lock). I'm talking about "ability development" (how to make head lock strong).
We began with application, then technique improvement, then escape techniques.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We began with application, then technique improvement, then escape techniques.
Escape techniques are fun to train too.

"Eyebrow wiping" is the most common counter for head lock.

The weakness of the head lock is you opponent always has 1 free arm.

When your opponent controls your neck with both arms, you can then apply head lock on him while he has no free arm.

Last edited:

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the kids favorite part. I have a brother and sister in the same class (they are all teens). I always pair them up so they can work out their aggression.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

"Eyebrow wiping" is the most common counter for head lock.

The weakness of the head lock is you opponent always has 1 free arm.

When your opponent controls your neck with both arms, you can then apply head lock on him while he has no free arm.

Lol @Tony Dismukes . Put me in a headlock I want to try something

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oddly enough this reminds me a bit of Chinese dog boxing which has a major wrestling aspect to it.

OP
I

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does Karate have hook punch, uppercut, overhand (or hammer fist)? Don't see those basic tools used in that clip.
Yes. Hook, uppercut and hammer fist (plus several more) are present in karate, although they are not found much in forms in most styles. My style has a roundhouse punch and uppercut in our basic curriculum. Hammer fists aren't seen too much, but back fists are common.

I'm not a big fan of hammer fists due to the softness and large surface area of the striking surface and the resulting increase in the distance (and time) required to develop sufficient striking force. I find the knife hand more effective in most situations. However, I do like a short-range hammer fist with a twist to put the knuckles in play to the face.

Latest Discussions