Do CMA's have a concept similar to Kiai?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, there are different ways of breathing that raise and sink qi. A reverse breath will cause a Ha sound. Look at Fujian white crane, the sound vibrates inside the body. Then it became okinawan crane, then Karate and they project the sound outward..why? Because they are ignorant. It was an incomplete transmission that became popular due to dumb luck and politics. Its a crappy art, better to go to China and learn white crane.
Care to elaborate?

Neijia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Most of what is taught is garbage. I am doing you a kindness by telling you. As to the breathing and sounds in movement, this is something you can find for yourself if you go to a Daoist temple and ask someone. I never said that anyone who trained in another art sucks. Its not the art its the knowledge base and transmission. I said in another post that branding was useless in fighting. Its what you know. I am spitting out knowledge that is hard to find. I mean you can wonder all you want, but I'll tell you now that the secret of the kiai is in the yawn and the sigh. You probably won't believe me, but if you follow nature and look at the sympathetic and parasympathetic response you will understand.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Neijia how do you know you were not taught garbage too? You don't have to answer its rhetorical.

I never said that anyone who trained in another art sucks.
You said
non spec forces TKD sucks.

So where does that put people who train in Non spec forces TKD at? Does this mean they as martial artist suck or don't suck? Chuck Norris doesn't train in Spec forces TKD does that mean he sucks?

I am spitting out knowledge that is hard to find.
To me you have not said anything that sounds mind blowing and you aura reeks of how
After 2 years of traditional hardcore training in mantis I had beaten up 7 TKD black belts. It was easy to do
And the many other posts of yours. See how you have a "Red Point" It means regardless of the spitting of knowledge and bluntness noone likes an ***-hole.
I am not calling you one just other people might come to that conclusion.

but I'll tell you now that the secret of the kiai is in the yawn and the sigh
Thank you for your insightful information. One of my teacher have said similar things involving sneezing but there was more to it then just that.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you now that the secret of the kiai is in the yawn and the sigh. You probably won't believe me, but if you follow nature and look at the sympathetic and parasympathetic response you will understand.

:rolleyes:
Oh, I believe you; I just think you left out the peeing and the pooping. :lfao:

Last edited:

Neijia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
at the time I wrote that I hadn't said that another art sucked...then I thought about it and yeah...tkd does suck. I changed my mind.

If CMA do not kiai or have anything like that can you explain the heng and ha of taiji?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
at the time I wrote that I hadn't said that another art sucked...then I thought about it and yeah...tkd does suck. I changed my mind.

If CMA do not kiai or have anything like that can you explain the heng and ha of taiji?

Are you refering to 哼 and 哈? Why do you call it Kiai that is a Japanese term why don't you use the Chinese hanzi 気合 or type Qihe?
If you read my post on this thread you would see I used the Bagua classics to show how Bagua uses Sound:
Song 9

Close the lips and mouth with the tongue touching the palate,

All respiration goes through the nose.

When force reaches its peak, release it by speaking "Hun" and "Haa,"

For obtaining a combination of whole unified energy.

If you are asking about Taijiquan the sounds are used more in rising the spirit or letting out energy during Fajin in Chen taijiquan we have it but I don't think it compares to what is used as in Japanese martial arts. I also don't think it is something to focus to much on and focusing on your intent would be better because were ever intent goes breath and Qi go. It is a question I will ask for clarification from my teacher and maybe Chen Bing when he comes here in 2 months.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you refering to 哼 and 哈? Why do you call it Kiai that is a Japanese term why don't you use the Chinese hanzi 気合 or type Qihe?
If you read my post on this thread you would see I used the Bagua classics to show how Bagua uses Sound:

If you are asking about Taijiquan the sounds are used more in rising the spirit or letting out energy during Fajin in Chen taijiquan we have it but I don't think it compares to what is used as in Japanese martial arts. I also don't think it is something to focus to much on and focusing on your intent would be better because were ever intent goes breath and Qi go. It is a question I will ask for clarification from my teacher and maybe Chen Bing when he comes here in 2 months.
Because of people's understanding of 'chi' or 'ki', some people equate everything with breathing. There are other definitions or meanings of chi or ki. As you have pointed out spirit and energy are also involved intimately in the equation. That is not to say breathing does not play an important role but it is only part of the picture. In the small amount of bagua I have looked at there are sounds that are made as you strike and these correspond to the kiai of karate. Strange thing though. The kiai, from what I have seen, seems to be far more prevalent in Japanese karate that Okinawan. In Goju there is more emphasis on the breath than the yell. Proper breathing allows for a stronger strike.

So I do think that you can compare the two, as they are both used at the moment of impact in a way of focussing the energy or intent, in order to impart the maximum force into a strike.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Personally, i think the fighter should use the technique that works best for that fighter, voice or no voice.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Art-bashing is strictly forbidden. Some of you have already been warned, and any further incidents will be infracted accordingly.

Ronald Shin
MT Assistant Administrator

Neijia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Having a lot of posts doesn't mean you have any idea what you are talking about. This is why there are so many secrets, Chinese masters don't want to throw pearls to pigs. have a nice day.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having a lot of posts doesn't mean you have any idea what you are talking about. This is why there are so many secrets, Chinese masters don't want to throw pearls to pigs. have a nice day.

Oh, are you a Chinese Master then? Master Pu?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Neijia
Ha and Heng are not really secrets in fact Jwing Ming Yang goes into it in detail in his book Taijiquan theory of Dr. Jwing Ming Yang
(I bought my copy for only $10 pretty good for a book of secrets)

I personally don't get hung up with people who talk about masters and secrets, and alot of times people who speak about masters and secrets don't have any to begin with; they just want to make people think they do so people pay attention to them.

A shame you have limited access now Neijia your ideas may have some meaning if you articulated them in a well behaved manner on a public forum.

Latest Discussions