Do "brute force" techniques like haymakers and the double axe handle require precision and skill?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, and - does that count as video evidence that it doesn't work?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There’s a reasonable argument that the limit affects even not “full potential” results. If you think about what it takes to reach, say 80% of potential, that effort appears to be proportional.
-- i may not be following your point

but for a lot of things, its not effort but belief that is the defining issue. any amount of effort wont over come a lack of belief. in some instances more effort only reinforced the belief its difficult

for instance the more effort i put into learning guitar, the more difficult it becomes, tell my self its pathetical easy, put in the miinimum of practice time, 5/10 mins a day and i make progress in line with my view that's its very easy and only takes a few mins a day to achieve.

now i'm not going to be playing the hollywood bowl with this attitude, but i wont no matter what level of effort i put in

ive taken the same attitude to kids in the extended family who are having trouble with things, say reading, don't tell them they have to try harder, tell them its so easy even stupid people can do it, make it a fun 10 mins and in no time so can they

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep, it is my friend. Just read it.
your reaction to being wrong is so over the top that i was looking to avoid upsetting you more than is strictly necessary , but i'm disagreeing with your suggestion that brothers who are close in resemblance will '' grow'' with different attributes if they have EXACTLY the same environment. So some evidence of that would be nice, of course if that wasn't what you meant we are much in agreement

You also seem to be struggling with the definition of the word EXACTLY, so that may be at the bottom of your problem

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your reaction to being wrong is so over the top that i was looking to avoid upsetting you more than is strictly necessary , but i'm disagreeing with your suggestion that brothers who are close in resemblance will '' grow'' with different attributes if they have EXACTLY the same environment. So some evidence of that would be nice, of course if that wasn't what you meant we are much in agreement

You also seem to be struggling with the definition of the word EXACTLY, so that may be at the bottom of your problem
I assure you, you do not have the capacity to upset me. Frustrate Everybody? Hell yea.
As far as examples; me & my older brother is the first one to come to mind. Same parents, same upbringing, near identical active life (we both played college ball), completely different body types, strength, speed, and coordination.
This list could go on to near infinity.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I assure you, you do not have the capacity to upset me. Frustrate Everybody? Hell yea.
As far as examples; me & my older brother is the first one to come to mind. Same parents, same upbringing, near identical active life (we both played college ball), completely different body types, strength, speed, and coordination.
This list could go on to near infinity.
no I asked if you hav evidence, not family remonisances,
.the issue that you seem to have forgot you raised, is brother of the sam body type, growing different attributes after having EXACTLY the same environment

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-- i may not be following your point

but for a lot of things, its not effort but belief that is the defining issue. any amount of effort wont over come a lack of belief. in some instances more effort only reinforced the belief its difficult

for instance the more effort i put into learning guitar, the more difficult it becomes, tell my self its pathetical easy, put in the miinimum of practice time, 5/10 mins a day and i make progress in line with my view that's its very easy and only takes a few mins a day to achieve.

now i'm not going to be playing the hollywood bowl with this attitude, but i wont no matter what level of effort i put in

ive taken the same attitude to kids in the extended family who are having trouble with things, say reading, don't tell them they have to try harder, tell them its so easy even stupid people can do it, make it a fun 10 mins and in no time so can they
I was just expounding on your point that, while we have different "full potential" points, genetically, most of us never get near that point. I think most folks get to something like 75% of their full potential in an athletic area they put some effort into. That 75% will still vary wildly from person to person, in absolute terms.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was just expounding on your point that, while we have different "full potential" points, genetically, most of us never get near that point. I think most folks get to something like 75% of their full potential in an athletic area they put some effort into. That 75% will still vary wildly from person to person, in absolute terms.
i think its probably fairly accurate, that where the '' 80/20 thing starts to kick in, but those who have made it as far as an athletics arena are well above average in seeing their actual potential

to go further takes belief, you need to believe that there is indeed tangible improvement to be had,, in order to find the additional effort to realise it. people also confused time spent and effort expended, they are not at all the same thing, infarct in many instances they are complexly counter

the number of people ive met complaining that their physical development has stalled despite spending two hour at the gym 3 times a week are considerable

they think my advice that they spend a lot less time putting in a lot more effort to be completly counter intuitive and general go the other way and raise it to three hours 4 times a week, before giving up, having decided they have reach their potential

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think its probably fairly accurate, that where the '' 80/20 thing starts to kick in, but those who have made it as far as an athletics arena are well above average in seeing their actual potential

to go further takes belief, you need to believe that there is indeed tangible improvement to be had,, in order to find the additional effort to realise it. people also confused time spent and effort expended, they are not at all the same thing, infarct in many instances they are complexly counter

the number of people ive met complaining that their physical development has stalled despite spending two hour at the gym 3 times a week are considerable

they think my advice that they spend a lot less time putting in a lot more effort to be completly counter intuitive and general go the other way and raise it to three hours 4 times a week, before giving up, having decided they have reach their potential
Yeah, intensity of effort matters a lot. I think that's true in almost every area, not just physical stuff. I know folks who can get more done in a day than other folks do in a week. Many of them work shorter days than other folks - they just work harder when they work.