DK Yoo Sparring

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can see that. The marketing of a new fighting system that is so dominant that it makes the practitioner look untouchable. If I were to make Jow Ga Kung Fu like that, I would only show my highlights when something went right and only spar others who make it easier for me to get away with a lot of things that I normally wouldn't be able to, for example, locking my knees.

That was a weighty post. The first order of business is I am usually pretty serious concerning the discussions. In this case, however, this really made me laugh.

Like those early Gracie promos, with the karate (whatever) black-belts walking toward the Gracie with their hands hanging at their sides. Then those new age arts criticizing traditional karate for 'punching air.' Taken down by the wrestler. And so on.

Thank you for phrasing that so succinctly. :drowning: in tears!

EDIT:
Maybe I should take the same marketing route lol.

How can you resist?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't buy a used car from the man.

But I sure do like sparring guys that keep their hands down. That boy would be spending most of his time getting back up.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why does he need to "pull" when he's already stepping/pivoting at a 45deg angle? He can already land that hook, which looks like a Boxing check hook.
He doesn't need to pull. The problem is that the pull makes things worse and not better. My assumption about it is that he saw this technique in another system and didn't bother to ask what makes it work. The general rule with pulling an arm is to pull it across your opponents body or to the side of your opponent.. The other general rule is that a pull has to be disruptive. It has to cause a person to lose balance, in the demo version it does. It explains a concept. In the assumption that he makes.

If you notice in the first 4 seconds of the video he is actually walking into his opponents punch. All his opponent has to do (in lack of a better description) is a one inch punch. Here straight beats circular. When his partner tries, he makes the same mistake as well., He's literally running into the fist. At 0:36, DK Yoo seems to realize his technique isn't solid and that it has some serious flaws in it. And he still gets it wrong.

If I land this technique as what I think it's true intention is, then it's lights out. My opponent isn't going to get up and I'm not bragging about that. If someone did the same to me, it's the same result. No matter how tough I think I am the technique that he's showing, when done correctly is dangerous. Boxer use a similar technique but they don't target the vulnerable spot because of the rules of boxing.

The concept is solid when it's done correct. Here's the general concept along with variation of it. Notice how he's not pulling the hand down and towards him. He's pulling it across the body on either side.
I teach this as "addressing the lead hand" The lead hand is the hand that pops you for getting to close, so you always want to address the lead hand first. Most people use their weak hand as the lead hand, so it's quick but not powerful, but it's powerful enough to disrupt an attack. But if you ignore someone who fights with power hand forward, then they will make you pay a price for not "addressing the lead hand" which in this case it the pull.

My free kung fu secret to the group. Interfere with the lead hand correctly and the rear hand will have trouble firing.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I also teach this one. I refer to it as "jamming" because the way I do it is more than just holding an arm down. You also see some of the other concepts of pulling.

To me these are more like kung fu than boxing because alot of it is the same stuff in the Jow Ga forms. I've never studied boxing so my only source if kung fu.

Mayweather does the lean back that DK Yoo tries to do. I tried to find the boxer who pulls the guard hand down and hooks after but I can't remember how does it.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

The old school Muay Thai in Thailand used to have their guard high and forward, constantly pawing/distracting....so one of the technique is to pull a guard hand down and come in with an elbow, etc.

But then the Dutch Kickboxers with their superior boxing came in and was beating this guard, so the Thais brought this pawing guard back/close to the face. I guess this would work vs. Wing Chun guards?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The old school Muay Thai in Thailand used to have their guard high and forward, constantly pawing/distracting....so one of the technique is to pull a guard hand down and come in with an elbow, etc.

But then the Dutch Kickboxers with their superior boxing came in and was beating this guard, so the Thais brought this pawing guard back/close to the face. I guess this would work vs. Wing Chun guards?
The thing with that is if your guard is close to your face then you are at risked of being pinned or jammed. The pin example is what you saw Lomachenko do in the video that I posted. I don't think what I consider as jamming is possible with the boxing gloves because the boxing gloves forces a bad angle for the technique. Here's the difference between the tow. Jamming happens when my opponent does a strike. It can be a punch or a kick. Pinning happens before the opponent can punch or kick. So if I pend you then I prevent your from being able to strike, by pinning down the striking arm.

Pinning is gentle , Jamming is rough and requires conditioning. Pinning is a little more high risk because the goal is to get to your target before they launch a strike. Jamming doesn't require that same time of timing. I can be early or late and I would still be able to jam a strike, but I can't do it without taking damage.

Wing Chun punches very fast so I'm thinking Jamming the punch will work. If I was going to choose between pin the guard of a wing chun fighter or avoid it then I would probably avoid the pin and use the pull. Wing Chun practitioners do a lot of pinning. So I don't want to play where they are strong.
For example, all Wing Chun does all day is play the pin game. Take a look at how much pinning is going on compared to how much they pull.

don't play the pin game with them, the pull will be safer. It's still dangerous but better than trying to pinn. Just make sure you pull them off their precious center line. If you don't do that then they will make you pay. The centerline is wingchun's strength and weakness.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I also teach this one. I refer to it as "jamming" because the way I do it is more than just holding an arm down. You also see some of the other concepts of pulling.

To me these are more like kung fu than boxing because alot of it is the same stuff in the Jow Ga forms. I've never studied boxing so my only source if kung fu.

Mayweather does the lean back that DK Yoo tries to do. I tried to find the boxer who pulls the guard hand down and hooks after but I can't remember how does it.

The people that put together that first clip, Hand Traps, should be taken out and shot for continuously changing the speed on what should be a terrific video.

Latest Discussions