DIY Kubotan A Felony???

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a requirement for shodan for the style of jiu jitsu that I do. And the training is direct from the PPCT manual.

Which manual? I am an instructor in PPCT Ground Avoidance/Ground Escape (GAGE), Spontaneous Knife Defense (SKD) and their Defensive Tactics (which included baton). I have never come across that training before. Is it separate? Just curious.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Which manual? I am an instructor in PPCT Ground Avoidance/Ground Escape (GAGE), Spontaneous Knife Defense (SKD) and their Defensive Tactics (which included baton). I have never come across that training before. Is it separate? Just curious.
I could be mistaken. The founder of our system of jiu jitsu, Georges Sylvain, was instrumental in the early stages of PPCT in Canada, he is actually referenced in the Canadian manual. I just assumed that as the kubotan techniques and PPCT techniques were integrated into our system around the same time, that the kubaton techniques were from PPCT. Guess I have to do a little background research on my style. I may have misspoken.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I could be mistaken. The founder of our system of jiu jitsu, Georges Sylvain, was instrumental in the early stages of PPCT in Canada, he is actually referenced in the Canadian manual. I just assumed that as the kubotan techniques and PPCT techniques were integrated into our system around the same time, that the kubaton techniques were from PPCT. Guess I have to do a little background research on my style. I may have misspoken.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What all does the training cover, Frank?
There are three sets(kata) for the kubaton, one for striking, one for flailing and one for power(double handed techniques). Also had to show applications for joint locks and utilizing the kubaton to escape from various grabs.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are three sets(kata) for the kubaton, one for striking, one for flailing and one for power(double handed techniques). Also had to show applications for joint locks and utilizing the kubaton to escape from various grabs.
That sounds like something I'd be interested in. I've considered doing something similar (though probably not in kata) with a short stick/club for my curriculum.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I would have done as well.

No worries, it peaked my interest. After reading your response, please let me apologize if you took it to mean I was calling you out on it. My interest was in learning more. I have been active in PPCT for 20 years and I know much has been taken out or revised so I thought it might have been something done at one point and not now.

They have even gone away from the name "PPCT" recently and now go by "HFRG" or Human Factor Research Group which does alot with recognizing threat patterns, or reading the physical signs of an attack. So it is always changing etc.

Latest Discussions