Differences of Siu Lim Tao?

OP
A

aichis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
PPLLLLEASE ... not again! Hey Zepe ... I'm having an DeJavu man, what about you?

Aichis my boy (the beginner) ... it is not wise to question the collective knowledge and experience of established MA'ist on this forum. Why don't you present what you had voiced here to your teacher and see how he/she would respond ... he/she would be you bud if he/she thinks the way you do, and has no qualification as an teacher.

Could be Coffeerox in disguise, ya never know.

Ditto the sentiment. Without knowing and understanding the concepts of the form(s), everything is just a hand movement with no meaning to what the positions can/might/how/are used for.

Ever tried to look at a martial arts books and not read the words or captions, just look at the pictures (expecially a Wing Chun book). Especially with the forms, some pictures make sense, others, you wondered how to use it and how they got from this pose to that pose, wishing it was a video instead so you could get an idea of how the motion was performed (how it got from point a to point b). But it doesn't always tell you why, which is what the concepts help do. Without the concepts to help you with the forms, you may know how it got from point a to point b, but not know why. Without the which, why, when, where, and how of the concepts, you are just lost. And with the concepts, it allows you to use the hand positions several different ways depending on your creativity and the situation.

Example: the basic Wing Chun punch (yut yee kune or some say yut chi kune), everyone knows 1. you use it to strike or hit a target (person). But you can also use it to 2. destroy a block, from the outside going in, executed by your opponent (and move their hands out of the way), expecially when used as a battle punch combination. Or you can use it to 3. clear out space (coming across your centerline, left hand from the right side, right hand from the left side) into the center of your opponent and then use it to also strike. Three different ideas on how to use the basic Wing Chun punch, all three effective but using 1 hand position, the punch. You're not bound by the system to tell you how to use it, just use it.

Thanks for the explanation and clearing my misunderstanding.

btw, you have said to read books to improve my understanding of concepts ?
what is the good books for Sil Lim Tao?
what about the DVD? I can watch it too!!

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

--------------------------------------------------------------

Suggest you ask your instructor, if you have one or get an instructor if you don't have one.

joy chaudhuri

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

As for books and DVDs, I can't think of any off the top of my head. Since I'm not at home right now, give me a day and I'll see what I have in my library which I think are worth reading/watching.

One DVD/video I like was done by Wong Shun Leung back in the early 1980's called the Science of Wing Chun. It's about 40 minutes and gives some good information, but very basic. Not sure you can find a copy of it now, but worth trying.

Jason Lau also did a 3 piece video/DVD collection which you can find on the internet. It's very basic but I think covers most of what you need to understand some of the concepts. However, everything looks very military, from the way the students dress, to how regimented they train. The chi sau demonstrations are cool, and in some places the students are very relaxed and flow well. The 3 part collection can be had for about $50 I think.

Again, I suggest these videos/DVDs not to train Wing Chun in place of a Sifu but to help you better understand the system. Pretty much everything in them are the central focus to any Wing Chun lineage. However, in the end, watch them, hopefully they will help you understand the system better, but train with a competent Sifu and do it the way they suggest.

OP
A

aichis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------

Suggest you ask your instructor, if you have one or get an instructor if you don't have one.

joy chaudhuri

I do have one, but I rarely meet him,
maybe once a month, because I setup my class with the instructor for part time class.
so its one a month.thats why i wanna add my info from this forum

As for books and DVDs, I can't think of any off the top of my head. Since I'm not at home right now, give me a day and I'll see what I have in my library which I think are worth reading/watching.

One DVD/video I like was done by Wong Shun Leung back in the early 1980's called the Science of Wing Chun. It's about 40 minutes and gives some good information, but very basic. Not sure you can find a copy of it now, but worth trying.

Jason Lau also did a 3 piece video/DVD collection which you can find on the internet. It's very basic but I think covers most of what you need to understand some of the concepts. However, everything looks very military, from the way the students dress, to how regimented they train. The chi sau demonstrations are cool, and in some places the students are very relaxed and flow well. The 3 part collection can be had for about $50 I think.

Again, I suggest these videos/DVDs not to train Wing Chun in place of a Sifu but to help you better understand the system. Pretty much everything in them are the central focus to any Wing Chun lineage. However, in the end, watch them, hopefully they will help you understand the system better, but train with a competent Sifu and do it the way they suggest.

what do you mean by "looks very military"?

The video you're referring to is called "The Science of in-fighting", and can be downloaded if you know where to look for it ... like looking for pirate's treasure ... hint, hint.%-}

I still have my copy in VHS bought back the early 80's.

You got the point...:)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do have one, but I rarely meet him,
maybe once a month, because I setup my class with the instructor for part time class.
so its one a month.thats why i wanna add my info from this forum...

Honestly, once a month isn't enough. I know because I've been in your situation. What is the reason you can't train with your instructor more often? Does he live out of the area, or is he just very busy?

Anyway, at the very least you need to get together with some training partners on a more regular basis. Maybe you have a friend or two who can train with you... that is if your instructor is accepting more students. That way you can practice and polish your skills while waiting for your next session with your instructor. Seriously, you can't learn much from videos, youtube clips and forums alone. This stuff is more of a fun way to meet other people who share a passion for WC. You really need to get a solid base under your sifu's guidance with real training partners first. Good luck!

OP
A

aichis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, once a month isn't enough. I know because I've been in your situation. What is the reason you can't train with your instructor more often? Does he live out of the area, or is he just very busy?

Anyway, at the very least you need to get together with some training partners on a more regular basis. Maybe you have a friend or two who can train with you... that is if your instructor is accepting more students. That way you can practice and polish your skills while waiting for your next session with your instructor. Seriously, you can't learn much from videos, youtube clips and forums alone. This stuff is more of a fun way to meet other people who share a passion for WC. You really need to get a solid base under your sifu's guidance with real training partners first. Good luck!

Firstly, yes, he lives out of my area, I need about 50mins-1 hr to go there w/o traffic problems.
Just imagine if the roads having a traffic probs...maybe 30 additional mins required.

I dont think he is busy though, because the only thing he does is only instructing peoples of chunners.

I cant learn much, its okay, how bout a little, at least something isnt it??
I do have partners and he goes with me to the training place.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Firstly, yes, he lives out of my area, I need about 50mins-1 hr to go there w/o traffic problems.
Just imagine if the roads having a traffic probs...maybe 30 additional mins required.

I dont think he is busy though, because the only thing he does is only instructing peoples of chunners.

Well that doesn't sound so bad. I commute 30 miles each way every Saturday to train Eskrima. And I don't even have a training partner to go with me... although I'm working on that. So I'd recommend making a New Year's resolution to get out to your instructor's a minimum of once a week, and train with your partner at least one other day a week, in addition to doing forms and drills on your own. You won't regret it!

OP
A

aichis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well that doesn't sound so bad. I commute 30 miles each way every Saturday to train Eskrima. And I don't even have a training partner to go with me... although I'm working on that. So I'd recommend making a New Year's resolution to get out to your instructor's a minimum of once a week, and train with your partner at least one other day a week, in addition to doing forms and drills on your own. You won't regret it!

30 miles is okay even for me but the training place is about 55 miles!!~huh~ Im tired just for driving all the way...
btw, riding a train never had been in my mind, but i dont think of riding it due to personal cause.

training with my partner?I can train everyday with him. He's my neighbor.

Last edited:

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
30 miles is okay even for me but the training place is about 55 miles!!~huh~ Im tired just for driving all the way...
btw, riding a train never had been in my mind, but i dont think of riding it due to personal cause.

----------------------------------------------------
Just curious- where are you and who is your teacher and where is he? With that info- maybe someone can suggest a solution to your problem?

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just imagine if the roads having a traffic probs...maybe 30 additional mins required. I dont think he is busy though, because the only thing he does is only instructing peoples of chunners.

Hopefully your partner had more training under his belt than you do, other wise you both will end up with lots of bad habits (training without proper guidance) .. like the blind leading the blind.

It's OK to learn small bites at a time, but please do take the time to learn them correctly in order to properly build your knowledge foundation.

OP
A

aichis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hopefully your partner had more training under his belt than you do, other wise you both will end up with lots of bad habits (training without proper guidance) .. like the blind leading the blind.

It's OK to learn small bites at a time, but please do take the time to learn them correctly in order to properly build your knowledge foundation.

Ok, thanx, I will try my best to do that.:D

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
. . . . what do you mean by "looks very military"?

All of Jason Lau's students dress in army fatigues with berets and boots, they stand in line or line up like they are starting PE in the morning. Some drills look like they are beginning military drill. You have to see it and you'll understand.

OP
A

aichis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All of Jason Lau's students dress in army fatigues with berets and boots, they stand in line or line up like they are starting PE in the morning. Some drills look like they are beginning military drill. You have to see it and you'll understand.

Looks like Im getting tougher after watching the vids..lol

btw ill try to find it.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

I went back and looked at what I had for reading to help with the Wing Chun concepts. One really good book is Mastering Kung Fu by Garrett Yee. It gets pretty deep concerning principles, theories, and concepts. You can order it online or through Barnes and Noble.

There are a couple of books written by K.T. Chao and J.E Weakland that to me are worth searching for. Three of them to be exact. They are titled 'Secret Techniques of Wing Chun Kung Fu' Volumes One (Level 1, Sil Lim Tao), Volume Two (Level 2, Chum Kil), and Volume Three (Level 3, Bil Jee). Volume one and three are easy to find, if you look around a bit. However, volume 2, Chum Kil, is almost impossible. I found one used copy for sale at $125 not too long ago. Haven't been able to put my hands on a new one for a reasonable price. The 2 books I have (Sil Lim Tao and Bil Jee) go into pretty good detail and to me are worth having.

OP
A

aichis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I went back and looked at what I had for reading to help with the Wing Chun concepts. One really good book is Mastering Kung Fu by Garrett Yee. It gets pretty deep concerning principles, theories, and concepts. You can order it online or through Barnes and Noble.

There are a couple of books written by K.T. Chao and J.E Weakland that to me are worth searching for. Three of them to be exact. They are titled 'Secret Techniques of Wing Chun Kung Fu' Volumes One (Level 1, Sil Lim Tao), Volume Two (Level 2, Chum Kil), and Volume Three (Level 3, Bil Jee). Volume one and three are easy to find, if you look around a bit. However, volume 2, Chum Kil, is almost impossible. I found one used copy for sale at $125 not too long ago. Haven't been able to put my hands on a new one for a reasonable price. The 2 books I have (Sil Lim Tao and Bil Jee) go into pretty good detail and to me are worth having.

thanx,

ill be searching for the books you said.
the mastering kung fu by Garrett is featuring shaolin wing chun. Its okay though, i have watched shaolin siu lim tao performed by sifu todd shawn tei. Its kinda and likely to be same with my sifu SLT, few slightly differences only. I will try to take what best for me and leave what's not.

The secret techniques of WC, the styles is kinda old books. however, i will try to find it.

I am now watching the vids by Gary Lam titled siu lim tao and its application.
well..it gives some good.

owh, and one more things, of course i will confirm it with my sifu, dont worry.

procmail

White Belt
Reaction score

Thanks for that.

I just bought, based on your recommendation, Volume 1 of 'Secret Techniques of Wing Chun Kung Fu'.

The other 2 books are too expensive for me at this point in time.

Latest Discussions