Differences between Remy and Ernesto

Black Grass

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I remember in 97 at the Arjunken school talking to Jun-Jun and him saying that his father knew the balitiwak style.

A little funny side note:

Was only at the Quiapo school for a short period. My family found out I was going to Quiapo and told me not to go down there anymore. I was living with my uncle who was a congressman at the time and they thought i would be kidnaped and ransomed! Besides my tagalog sucked.

Black Grass

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the most recent Eskrima Digest, a description of a certain instructor:
He holds the rank of 7th Dan Arnis and Arjuken Karate under Grandmaster Roberto Presas.

What system of arnis is Mr. Presas a grandmaster of? Is it within his brother Ernesto Presas' arnis system or his own?

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ocho-Ocho is a figure eight style.

As I understand it (and I am in no way an expert) it is a simple style based on the figure eight motions.

Lady Plotria-Cruz

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Mr. Dieter,

You may not know me but I was teary-eyed when I had read your post mentioning MATCOP, ANTONIO PLOTRIA AND SIR DAGOHOY. I'm Tony's (Antonio Plotria) neice and Matcop was our home way back before. I was able to witnessed the ups and downs of Matcop Gym, how was my uncle and my father (Gerardo 'Boy' Plotria) teaching karate and Aikido every other day. My unle Tony is a karate professional, while my father is Aikido professional. My father passed away last 2001 and only Aikido and Matcop was his 'buhay na alaala' to us. I know if my uncle and my father has the capability to maintain Matcop way back, they would not allow the gym to disappear. My uncle now moved to Jeddah (if i'm not mistaken), sharing his Karate thing to his students there....Good thing to know that there are few people who still remember Matcop....

Armas

White Belt
Reaction score
Here are some of the videos that can answer your question about the brothers. I would like to say that as a student of GM Ernesto Presas Sr. He did say he studied Balintawak. But not as deep as his brother. He studied later with GM Antonio Ilustrisimo, GM Ben Lema and GM JOse Mena aside from his father and Grandfather. I was witness to the training of GM ERnesto with the Legends such as the above GM's.

One thing is sure that you all will agree that as time goes you will evolve so has the Brothers. Hope you can see for your own eyes the difference

Remy Presas videos on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er99t7SvuUg&feature=user

Ernesto Presas on Video:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hellom Lady Plortia Cruz,

Hi Mr. Dieter,

You may not know me but I was teary-eyed when I had read your post mentioning MATCOP, ANTONIO PLOTRIA AND SIR DAGOHOY. I'm Tony's (Antonio Plotria) neice and Matcop was our home way back before.

Very nice to hear from you. in 1983 it was my home for 4 weeks in Manila too. I keep my memories of MATCOP very much alive.
If you go to my personal website, the biography http://www.dieterknuettel.de/Englisch/html/bio_en.html
and then see picture 3:
Here I got my 5th Dan Diploma from GM Rodel back in 1983 in the MATCOP Gym.

I was able to witnessed the ups and downs of Matcop Gym, how was my uncle and my father (Gerardo 'Boy' Plotria) teaching karate and Aikido every other day. My unle Tony is a karate professional, while my father is Aikido professional. My father passed away last 2001
I am sorry to hear that.

and only Aikido and Matcop was his 'buhay na alaala' to us. I know if my uncle and my father has the capability to maintain Matcop way back, they would not allow the gym to disappear. My uncle now moved to Jeddah (if i'm not mistaken),
He is in Riad now.
He teaches Arnis, among other groups I am sure, to some members of the german embassy in Riad.
Here you can see a picture with him and his group taken in December 2007:
http://www.abanico.de/Riad-Arnis_09_12_07-k.jpg

sharing his Karate thing to his students there....Good thing to know that there are few people who still remember Matcop....
Yes, very much. I mainly trained Nunchaku with Antonio and only a little Arnis, because my main Arnis teachers in MATCOP were GM Rodel Dagooc, who I and the german Arnis organisation invited to Germany to the DAV summercamp in 2005, and Freddie Alfaro.

Do you know him and what he does now?

I will be back in the Philippines for 4 weeks during this July

Greetings from Germany

Datu Dieter Knüttel
Senior Master of Modern Arnis

Lady Plotria-Cruz

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Mr. Dieter,

I didn't know Mr. Alfaro. My grandmother knew you also. Even my brother, Jeffrey Plotria. He is asking if you can still rememember him. Way back 1983, I was just 2 years old then. Do you have contact with my Uncle Tony? I heard that he is looking for you also.He will be home I think this September? He wasn't able to be here when his wife died last Octobe, 2007. My grandmother talks more about you. I think they really knew you. Best regards...from Philippines.

Lady Plotria-Cruz

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello Lady Plotria-Cruz,

Hi Mr. Dieter,

I didn't know Mr. Alfaro. My grandmother knew you also. Even my brother, Jeffrey Plotria. He is asking if you can still rememember him.

Sure I do. There were a lot of friendly people in MATCOP.

Way back 1983, I was just 2 years old then. Do you have contact with my Uncle Tony?
No, I don't. The contact I have goes via one of his students of the german embassy.

I heard that he is looking for you also.
Give him my email address then: [email protected]

He will be home I think this September? He wasn't able to be here when his wife died last Octobe, 2007.

This is too bad. I will be in the Philippines in July for the 4th FMA Festival
http://www.wfma.info/Events/pdf/4th_FMAfestival_information-activities.pdf
and to show the Philippines to my family.

My grandmother talks more about you. I think they really knew you.
How nice of her.

Please send her my best regards.

Dieter

Lady Plotria-Cruz

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I'll just send your e-mail address to my uncle. Let me give you his phone number as well. Maybe you have a lot of things to talk about. Anyway, you can give him a call during your free time (if there is). My brother Jeffrey is one the member of IMAFP (International Martial Arts Federation of the Phils) and PIGSSAI as well as my uncle Nonoy Poblacion. If you wanted some assistance, you can approach them when you visit here. Sad thing is that MATCOP will no longer be there to welcome you back. I'll let uncle tony know about your plans to visit here. I'll send his contact number to your personal e-mail for privacy. God Bless you and your family!

Lady

Latest Discussions