"...Did I just...........throw us BOTH!!?!???!?!?!??"

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
So I was at class last night doing randori and for the first time I got off a functioning ippon-seoinage on this particular player....and I don't know just exactly how the laws of physics got broke here but maybe i was too far forward or overcommitted on my twist to the left, but anyway I got the throw but we BOTH somehow went over and broke our falls( at least that's what it felt like to me. At some point we were both totally feet, body, hands off the ground and slapped out about 8, 9 foot apart.

I don't get it either but it was cool.

I wish we'd had a camera so I could see just exactly what happened from the observer's perspective and not the mat-rushing-up-to-meet-me perspective.

Anybody else got a story like that?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D Well done, Andy. Do it again but make sure to have a cameraman on hand this time :).

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well Andy, you were commited to Ippon-seoinoge weren't you? If I have a good grip, a good high collar choke and get tossed I take Tori with me for the ride and try to reverse or sweep. I often go over with Uki when throwing if I work with some of the bigger BB so I try to rip away and get clear so yes I do this as well. It's kinda fun aint it?
lori

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
After having had today at work to think about it, and going over in my memory how it "felt" this is what must have happened as near as I can figure:

I started out okay--had just enough kuzushi going that I got the arm drag, trapped his elbow by scooping my right arm under his just above it, had my hips under him at a workable fulcrum point, but then, instead of twisting my head/torso up and left( right handed throw) as I bent, i just bent straight down and his weight going over plus my incorrect position put me left shoulder first as he was right shoulder first and that must be how we landed/rolled apart symmetrically.

So I did all but one ingrediment in the recipe correctly, i flipped him, then a nanosecond later, I flipped ME.

But yes, it WAS kinda fun :D

Latest Discussions