DF: Thoughts on the basics.

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Thoughts on the basics.
By kingoftheforest - 10-07-2008 05:59 PM
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

Here are just some random thoughts I had on the basics of TCMA's.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The basics for most TCMA's internal or external are relatively simple.

Some have already been covered on the forum previously.

The basics are all important and build on each other. No one ideal could survive without the others. It would be like trying to figure out what is more important to your body. Your brain? Stomach? Heart?.
No one can survive without the others.

One concept and one of the basics found across the board on all MA's is root.

Root is the essential for not being shoved over or over powered by in coming strikes.

This thread covers most of the concepts of root and more advanced floating root.

http://www.defend.net/deluxeforums/c...tml#post304753

Moving up on the body next would be how power is generated. The classics state that all movement is generated from the hips. The best way to understand this is to stand in an area with plenty of space, let your arms hang down at your sides limp or as loose as you can, and swing them using your hips.

Something like a washing machine agitator. You see little kids do it all the time if they're board or zoning out. Now practice adding control to your arms with out tensing up too much. Changing the part of the hand you intend to strike with changes the dynamic a little so practice many different strikes.

Now the difference between TCMA's and a lot of other arts is that, with practice you can generate power in your strike doing this with one leg off the ground. Especially if you have a good root and even better if you have been practicing floating root.

You can generate power from your hips and strike with just about any part of your body you want too.

Shoulder strikes, punches, head butts, kicks, even hip strikes, knees and elbows can be throw using power generated from the hip movement.

Next is knowing what weapons your body is and how to use them.
Some arts rely solely on hands and feet, Usually closed fists and feet.

Understand that your whole body is a weapon and depending on the situation, distance and timing, you can hit with any part. Head and shoulders, as well as fist feet, knees and elbows.

I wouldn't throw an elbow at punching range and I wouldn't throw a punch when I'm shoulder to shoulder.

Your hand has many striking surfaces. The simplest way to determine what to use to strike where is to follow the classics again “Hit soft parts of the body with hard parts of the hand...” and vice versa.

Always try to stay loose and relaxed this keeps your muscles from working against each other. When you're relaxed you can react faster.

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - CMA Feed

Latest Discussions