Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Just got back from China...
By kiddbjj - 07-22-2008 05:12 AM
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

Hey

I just got back from a trip to China and I can pretty much say that, with the exception of Sanda, Kung fu as a combat art is dead in China.

It is much stronger in the West, perhaps with the exception of Wushu type performance stuff. Even the famous Shaolin temple is a joke for real combat learning.

Just my opinion :p

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - CMA Feed

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Lord knows its a small country and the martial artists there are very open to showing strangers a lot of stuff so I can see where a few days in China would make it possible to make this highly educated and informed statement :rolleyes:

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score
The original post is pretty much correct. While there are some people that can apply their arts, as a percentage, the CMA's have very few such people when compared to JMAs, KMAs, Muay Thai, BJJ, etc.

People in CMAs never like to hear this but it doesn't really matter.

That doesn't mean that NO ONE is learning to apply their art in China. There are some. But as a percentage, it is really, really low. That goes for Taiwan, as well. It's jst the way it is.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The original post is pretty much correct. While there are some people that can apply their arts, as a percentage, the CMA's have very few such people when compared to JMAs, KMAs, Muay Thai, BJJ, etc.

People in CMAs never like to hear this but it doesn't really matter.

That doesn't mean that NO ONE is learning to apply their art in China. There are some. But as a percentage, it is really, really low. That goes for Taiwan, as well. It's jst the way it is.

Dead by definition to me at this point means gone, no one is training it. But I have also said that taijiquan by comparison is dead as a martial art if you compare the number of those that train the martial art to those that don’t so if I go by that the combat side of CMA is certainly not to healthy on mainland

And there are those that are, not many by comparison but there are still sifus on mainland training the combat side of their art.

However I am more than willing to admit that the performance side of just about every style outweighs the combat side considerably.

Hell like I have said before there are BJJ, Muay Thai and MMA schools in Beijing now so what’s that tell you. But there is also (this surprised me too) a Wing Chun Sifu in Beijing teaching pretty hard core Wing Chun. And I have been told (so I cannot confirm this yet, except for 1 Xingyi Sifu) that there are real live Bagua, Baji and Xingyi sifus teaching the combat side as well but they are getting pretty old and I am not sure if they have a student that will carry that on or not.

And there is Chen Yu for Chen Taiji there as well but I am not sure if he is or is not teaching a lot of the martial side or not.

But there are A LOT more people teaching CMA without much MA there these days and even the Chinese are not really all that interested in much more than form. If they are they tend to gravitate towards sanshou.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I for one plan on training in it as long as I can , and hope to achieve a standing within the style to be able to teach it and pass it on. CMA is most certainly not dead yet. Wushu is still alive and kicking, San Shou is very much alive. It is just currently being swept into the background because it is not so much fighting in a Octagon on television.

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well I for one plan on training in it as long as I can , and hope to achieve a standing within the style to be able to teach it and pass it on. CMA is most certainly not dead yet. Wushu is still alive and kicking, San Shou is very much alive. It is just currently being swept into the background because it is not so much fighting in a Octagon on television.

I think the situation is a bit more complex than that.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the situation is a bit more complex than that.
Well yes , I agree over there it is more complex, however, I think it is sadly the situation in the United States. CMA is not mainstream enough , and maybe someday it will be. Might be better or might be worse, I don't know.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
why is it that it seems people from the native country are more interested in studying arts from other countries than the ones that originate in their own

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
why is it that it seems people from the native country are more interested in studying arts from other countries than the ones that originate in their own

I think it is just more of a fascination with the unknown and foreign things ?

Latest Discussions