DF: BajiQuan

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
BajiQuan
By Baji87 - Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:13:54 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

My name's Eric, I'm 21, from America, and I live and work in China, in Shandong Province. I'll be here a while.

Now, I wish I could ask the locals, but at the moment my Chinese is extremely poor, and the ones I do manage to communicate with know nothing or next to it. Something I keep hearing is that Bajiquan is practised by very few people. And those that DO know, well, even if their conversational English is good, there knowledge of Wushu is not usually wholly and completely transferable. And yes, I am working on improving my Chinese as well.

I have been looking for a Martial Art that was right for me, and I am pretty much convinced with what I've seen and read. Of course experience and time will be the only true tell, but before I decide who to learn from, I have to (want to) understand what my options are...something I am currently mixed up with.

I've read ALL the pages I could (yes, i've read bajimen...), but all the information is very generalized and I am looking for a bit of detail and history.

I understand that Bajiquan is an Art Form, and in that Art Form there are different styles and families. I've heard of the Wu, Huo, and Liu families (and many listed on Bajimen with no actual details about the different styles).

I really want to know, if anyone does:

1) What are all the different styles/families/branches/etc of Bajiquan existing in and outside of China today?

2) Where are they from and where are they mostly practised today?

3) What similarities do they share and what makes them different?

4) What are the most traditional of these styles? And what's your definition of traditional?

5) The Forms: It's my understanding that there are 20 (?) standard forms that are shared by all branches of Bajiquan...is this accurate? If so, what are they all?

Also, I've heard people from the Liu family style say in their history of Baji that Wu Zhong had no descendants, and yet I've also heard many others say the the man by the name of Wu Lian Zhi in Mencun, Hebei (Baji's birthplace, apparently) who is the head of the Wu Family Style, is Wu Zhong lineage (in fact i've even seen a provided family tree of it)...Does anyone know for sure?

I hope that any of you might be able to assist my curiosity...I know I ask a lot...and I'm sure I'll have more questions, too...but I thought that the Martial Arts Forums would be the best place for this post.

Thanks,

Eric

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - CMA Feed

Latest Discussions