Destructions

I

Icepick

Do you guys routinely pull off destructions sparring? I understand that it isn't illegal to do in boxing, but I've never seen it done. Is that the size of the gloves, skill of the boxers, or something else that prevents this? Just wondering your experience.

I

IFAJKD

destructions to hands can happen while gloved but as a rule not. It is accepted that this is the case. if you get the siko you get it from there straight blast yada yada yada....Destructions, and intercepts are trained easily however. progressive and with flow

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for the DEA story goes, I think a big part of that is the drilling of weapon retention most law enforcement officers (LEO) get. It is a very VERY bad thing if a LEO gets his/her weapon taken by a perp.

One of the smartest things I've heard regarding LEOs and their firearms is that they have to be aware that where ever they go, there is always at least one firearm on the scene that could be a danger to them - their own.

Cthulhu

I

IFAJKD

weapon retention is one aspect. The other is how it all happened and the lack of anyother plan of attack or goal by the perp. If someone pulls a weapon at work they are committed to that weapon. to the point of not being able to do anything else.

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, I'm gonna steer this back on topic :D

I'm going to ask the obvious with this: when using destruction when sparring, you HAVE to have adequate padding, yes? If not, then you won't be sparring for very long.

I don't know if the usual dipped mitts have enough padding. I have a pair of those fingered gloves (called either kempo or JKD gloves, depending on where you get them...you know, the gloves from the beginning of 'Enter the Dragon') and they have much more padding than the usual sparring mitts. They're a bit heavier, but I accept that as resistance training :)

Cthulhu

I

IFAJKD

Kempo gloves will work but watch the fingers. You really need boxing gloves. Now be sure that you don't go after the punch with an elbow but allow your guard to let them punch into it. use lead elbow. from there upper body destructions are in the trapping range and work the wrist and biceps, shoulder, elbows etc. check out the trapping tape and you will see what I mean.

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
against a punch we try to block (or hit the elbow with your hand) from the outside going up at a angle. there is no catching in this, just to slant your body away while you slap the elbow or above the elbow, its hard to describe it. but the force of your slap with over extend his elbow if you do it right before he brings back his arm, right when he has full extension.

you go to an angle up just in case his arm does not lock when he punch, your slap will force his elbow to lock. anyway you have to practice this while you box, and your partner is really trying to hit you so that you can understand how to use this technique.

i dont like the catch, because you will probably never met a guy who is slow enough for you to catch his hand with both of yours.

against a leg its easier because you will have more time to prepare, and your hands are faster than the legs in kicking anyway. with the legs you can go inside or outside, but you have to use a downward angle or a line that is level with the floor. you can catch a leg, so that techniques will work against a kick too.

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've found most destructions tough to pull off in sparring situations.

Some friends and I have put on gloves and tried to do destructions on each other. They are tough to do full speed even if you know what's coming.

The two Renegade listed seem to be the most practical , to me.

I think they are a situational technique; meaning if you find yourself at a reference point you can pull it off but I don't think you can (safely) go into a fight thinking "I'm gonna do destruction xyz.

":soapbox: :soapbox: :argue: :cuss: :fart:

Can't get enough of them smiley thingies:jedi1: :xwing: :jediduel:

I

IFAJKD

I have to add some things here. First, Destructions have to be used in the way they are intended. They are often misunderstood or misrepresented. They are simply an opening, a window if you will that dishes out pain mostly. This allows several things to happen to follow up.
As with anything there are small but crucial things to do to pull it off and you CAN pull it off at will. They are not tough to get at all and the % will increase with proper instruction and proper training.

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by IFAJKD
I have to add some things here. First, Destructions have to be used in the way they are intended. They are often misunderstood or misrepresented. They are simply an opening, a window if you will that dishes out pain mostly. This allows several things to happen to follow up.
As with anything there are small but crucial things to do to pull it off and you CAN pull it off at will. They are not tough to get at all and the % will increase with proper instruction and proper training.

Can you expand on this ?

I'm intregued

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by IFAJKD

Can you expand on this ?

I'm intrigued.

:ultracool :ubercool: :idunno: :viking2: :supcool: :drink2tha

I

IFAJKD

Hey, I'll try. Destructions are sometimes thought to be an "ending" to an altercation. Or used in such a way that the attacker's weapon (ie their hand from a jab) is no longer functional. These kinds of definitive destructions are rare and VERY unusual. Rather, destructions are simply a tear in the fabric of time in that fight where you can enter more safely to end things. An example of this may be....They throw a straight punch (SP, Cross or jab) and we siko or elbow it. In essence let it run into our elbow. This moment of pain and this interception allows a small window that we follow with tremendous amount of pressure, (ie straight blast or ABC) Attack By Combination. Think of this as in FMA this is the proverbial kitchen sink. everything is thrown that they are overwhelmed and off balance and unable to counter attack. In JKD it's an 50 MPH blast down their centerline. From there it's HKE. Major tools. Fight enders.
Destructions can be against anything not just their attacking weapons, It can be intercepts, stop hits half beat attacks etc, The form of eye jabs shuffle kicks, shoulder stops etc. The key is such a total way of training that incorporates everything into this one area. How we move, how we train, how we hold our guard, where we place our guard JKD 5 ways of attack, JKD premis and FMA technique as well, It includes weapons training and drills from Panantuken, Panajakman. If done correctly they are easily pulled off. Of course it is always dependent on your opponent and how well they fight, This said, we have to have more tools and be much more adaptable. This is why we weapons spar from many different combinations of weapons and go from there to empty hands to the ground etc.
Hope this helps

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks !:D :D

Sound similar to the way we try to train it.

Can you reccomend any resources ????:confused:

Books drills websites ?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

:D :D :D

I

IFAJKD

I have trained in several other JKD system/approaches I should say and have to say that no one has it like I have seen with Paul Vunak. I highly reccomend his Rapid Assault Tactics tape RAT. for training in destructions.