Defending a practice

B

Black Bear

Sometimes forumites go to great and passionate lengths in defending a certain practice or methodology. When the funny thing is, for the most part, they only did it that way in the first place because that's what their instructor told them to do. Forms or no. Shoes or no.

You want to talk about cognitive dissonance?

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
You want to talk about cognitive dissonance?

No, because my mom told me never to use language like that :)

Seriously though:

For me, the goal is self defense application/effectiveness. With that, innovation is what keeps you sharp and develops creativity under pressure - a pretty handy skill in self defense. The 'arms race' or technology race of the modern military is all about effectiveness. It has research and development aspects that seek innovations tactically as well as technically/technology, why should it be taboo in martial arts for civilians - except that students/artists may not always be motivated by effectiveness or street defense in their martial arts goals. I have no problem with this unless these same people try and say that they can be street effective. Defend a practice because it is logical, mechanically sound, creating positive results... not just because of tradition. Tradition argument was a defense of slavery during the Civil War... that worked.

Traditions all had some kind of practical root. Once that practicallity is lost, it becomes custom. Once the motivation to preserve the past is involved it becomes ritual. After a while people don't even know why they do certain things. The movie Whale Rider was great in explaining how a training program that is for personal development/cultural preservation is all about. If it had been about effective training for polynesian cultural defense, they would have been learning firearms and manuever tactics instead of stick fighting and sticking their tongues out.

Are you training for clear/tactical goals and the technical development and training accomplishing that, or are you training for the sake of training and along the way you could be able to defend yourself? If Martial arts is sought for self defense, tradition is the least reasonable reason to take a style.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bear:

I'm sure as a psych, you remember the research about high dogmatic vs. low dogmatic (been a very long time, but I think it was even doen as an appen to Cog Diss research, in terms of likelihood predictors for given responses to lowering dissonance. Anyway, I figure we're surrounded by Hi-Dogs (as evidenced by the resurgence of fundamentalism), and the folks around us can't help themselves.

OP
B

Black Bear

*smiles smugly around at the people who know exactly what he's talking about*

OP
T

TonyM.

Sure, I'd like to talk about Leon Festinger, but Jung is more interesting.

OP
J

Jason Davis

I just think people don't like to be wrong, and being on an internet forum makes it a hole lot easier to argue with someone. This particular forum isn't nearly as bad as some other ones though.

oh yeah BB thank you for for teaching me something new(cognitive dissonance) :)

OP
B

Black Bear

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Bear:

I'm sure as a psych, you remember the research about high dogmatic vs. low dogmatic (been a very long time, but I think it was even doen as an appen to Cog Diss research, in terms of likelihood predictors for given responses to lowering dissonance. Anyway, I figure we're surrounded by Hi-Dogs (as evidenced by the resurgence of fundamentalism), and the folks around us can't help themselves.
I'd say MT is about a dozen intelligent people trying to have a fruitful conversation about martial philosophy, in a room ful of Hi-Dogs yelping and fighting over who's Top-Dog.

But I admit, sometimes I like baiting the dogs. It's kinda funny.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
I'd say MT is about a dozen intelligent people trying to have a fruitful conversation about martial philosophy, in a room ful of Hi-Dogs yelping and fighting over who's Top-Dog.

How do you know that you are not a hi-dog?

OP
B

Black Bear

That's a good question. How DO you know? :)

If you guys are lazy enough to not produce an answer to this, I may throw out some thoughts on the matter when I get back from my road trip.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This display of smug, pseudo-psychological analytical self boasting is nauseating. The bravado in here is embarrassing. Its benighted to assume that you or anyone else is more intelligent or learned than anyone else by reading a posting of this medium.

Actually I would like to apply for a thread lock for this particular thread as its not only embarrassing to me for those here who are bragging themselves to no extent, it is also offensive in the fact that this is a martial arts board and this type of anti-humane behavior has no place in martial arts or anything in connection with martial arts.

7sm

OP

2fisted

I usually try to stay away from the arguments on these boards. I really like what I do and it feels right for me, so I'll keep on doing what I'm doing. If someone doesn't like it, that's cool too. :ultracool

OP
M

moving target

7starmantis said:
This display of smug, pseudo-psychological analytical self boasting is nauseating. The bravado in here is embarrassing. Its benighted to assume that you or anyone else is more intelligent or learned than anyone else by reading a posting of this medium.

Actually I would like to apply for a thread lock for this particular thread as its not only embarrassing to me for those here who are bragging themselves to no extent, it is also offensive in the fact that this is a martial arts board and this type of anti-humane behavior has no place in martial arts or anything in connection with martial arts.

7sm
I really don't see how this thread is much different than threads like " What's the thing that annoys you the most with some martial arts?"

I suppose it is target at "forumites" but still Idon't think it's that bad. I'm sure you have come across some people on this board that argue in favor of something without good reason, when argument is really based on a regurgitation of something someone told them, than a series of ad hock adaptations or pointless hypotheticals (I'm one to talk :p) and anecdotes to make their view fit.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I certainly agree that there are those who blindly argue the importance or superiority of said technique or method without any personal experience or having tested it more than, my instructor told me so.

What I have a problem with in this thread is not the topic (if it stayed on topic that is) but with the way some of the posters are handling themselves, that is what I find obnoxious, not the discussion by any means.

7sm

OP
D

DeilGyre

7starmantis said:
I What I have a problem with in this thread is not the topic (if it stayed on topic that is) but with the way some of the posters are handling themselves, that is what I find obnoxious, not the discussion by any means.
7sm
7starmantis, I want to buy you a drink, my good man. You nailed it just right, and very politely too.
Now let an unwashed Scotsman shake his fist at the obvious ****...

Black Bear said:
*smiles smugly around at the people who know exactly what he's talking about*
I really enjoy the company of egotistical internet masters, how about you guys?
You get your jollies from projecting your supposed intellect and degrading anything unfounded in your opinion, don't you?
That's the image you're projecting, in case this ***** you're piling is too high for you to see yourself.
Take this impression from a new guy to these forums, who doesn't even know you - YOU STINK!
After reading your posts, Black Bear, not just in this thead but others too - I can tell you're a pompous, obnoxious ***.
I hope this post means something to you other than another opening to present yourself gloriously with another smart aleck comeback.
What you want to say is "I'm sorry guys, I've been arrogant lately. I apologize for baiting the general foum and putting down other people who don't agree with me. I'm afraid my head has gotten too big for myself. Can you nice folks forgive me?"
Somehow I doubt that will be your announcement.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Methinks this will be locked soon if people keep going for personal attacks. Shall we take bets on how long...
btw I personlly like this board as there are fewer flame wars and what not.

If this comes off as an attack onanyone personally sorry don't take it that way.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You all are just failing to realize that Im the smartest guy here. :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
That's a good question. How DO you know? :)

If you guys are lazy enough to not produce an answer to this, I may throw out some thoughts on the matter when I get back from my road trip.
I might be lazy.

I might even reply.

Yet, I find that your comment could mean that you are lazy, as you will not take the time until you get back from your road trip. I might be swamped with work and other issues, to get involved in your discussion.

I hopefully wish for you not to believe that I might be one of the dozen of your Intelligencia discussing issues above the rest of the crowd.

Yet to determine a hi-dog from top-dog is hard without testing the eyes and tilt of the head and their killer instinct, and a whole bunch of other things.

Could you define what each is? This would give me something to reference from if I choose to discuss the issue.

For I do not believe, yours and mine definition(s) are the same.
:asian:

Latest Discussions