decription of pentjak silat

M

MA Newbie

I was wondering of anyone has any links to Pentjak Silat sites. Im looking for a link to a site more of a description of techniques than historical/ cultural information.

Thanks

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I personally can't think of any sites that have a good representation of silat techniques. I can only think of one or two that show anything (most silat people are pretty secretive or at least selective in teaching), and its pretty hard to convert visually to reality.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MA Newbie
I was wondering of anyone has any links to Pentjak Silat sites. Im looking for a link to a site more of a description of techniques than historical/ cultural information.

Thanks

I have a couple of vids on my website at http://impactacademy.com/videos

Nothing major. Just a couple of clips of me doing some stuff.

"Depok to Sapu Luar" and "Sapu Dalam Explanation"

As far as technical descriptions - not really.

Mike

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
to pesilat
I watched your video clips , some nice stuff.
Looking at the depok to salur clip its looks similiar to wing chun
looking at the carenza clip it looks similiar to something i saw from pekiti
I have been realizing more and more that alot of tehcniques in martial arts are similiar there are just variations in the execution from one style to the next in terms of positioning and energy used. Definitely some interesting clips.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by brothershaw
to pesilat
I watched your video clips , some nice stuff.
Looking at the depok to salur clip its looks similiar to wing chun
looking at the carenza clip it looks similiar to something i saw from pekiti

LOL. Well, the Carenza isn't Silat. In fact, it's not specifically any system of martial arts. It's just me freeflowing with a stick. My personal stick style has been influenced primarily by the Inosanto blend but also some heavy influence from Balintawak Cuentada and Doce Pares Eskrima/Eskrido.

For me, any time I'm playing with WC (or, more often, Jun Fan), I end up in Silat. The trapping is a nice bridge for setting up the Silat sweeps.

I have been realizing more and more that alot of tehcniques in martial arts are similiar there are just variations in the execution from one style to the next in terms of positioning and energy used. Definitely some interesting clips.

Yup. Way I see it, there is a finite number of ways the human body can move, be moved, or be affected. When you restrict that number (as we do in MA) to those methods that inflict pain/injury on another or prevent us from pain/injury, that finite number gets even smaller (it's still big, of course).

That means that there is a big pool of concepts and principles that work. Any system that is effective, then, must draw from that pool of concepts and principles.

What makes each system unique, though, is:
how it approaches the pool
what it prefers to take from the pool
what areas it prefers to draw from
what container it's put in

All of these will influence the appearance and flavor of the material. But it all comes from the same pool.

Any two systems that use joint locks will have similarities. Any two systems that use punches will have similarities. Any two systems that use balance disruptions will have similarities. Etc.

And then, when you start realizing things like:
disarms and joint locks (especially wrists) are intimately related
flexible weapons and trapping are intimately related

And everything you do empty handed has a weapon-based equivalent and vice-versa.

Standing techniques have equivalent ground techniques.

Etc.

Eventually, you start realizing that everything is the same. While we're all speaking different languages, we're all saying the same thing.

Mostly, we're saying "Ouch!" ;)

Mike

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To Pesilat:

Sounds good to me.

Whenever/ if i ever get the chance I want to go to a silat seminar or maybe visit a school just to watch some silat players in action. Unfortunately I dont personally know anybody who does silat.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by brothershaw
To Pesilat:

Sounds good to me.

Whenever/ if i ever get the chance I want to go to a silat seminar or maybe visit a school just to watch some silat players in action. Unfortunately I dont personally know anybody who does silat.

My instructor does some teaching in New York on occasion - but I'm not sure if it's open to the public or not.

I do know a guy on Long Island, though, named Roberto Torres. If that's near enough for you, check out his website at http://www.taliosilat.com

Mike

OP
W

wadokai_indo

MA Newbie said:

Thanks
In Jakarta, Indonesia I am more well known as a Wado-ryu and Jujutsu instructor. However with that being said I do teach Pencak Silat Paseban Mutakhir as well. In my home Dojo I sometimes shows some Pencak Silat techniques to my Karate and Jujutsu student to make the training not monotonous. Please tell me what kind of technical description that you would like to have and I will try to post them in my website as soon as possible. We are in the process of making videos of Silat Paseban due to numerous requests from foreign friends.

I am happy that many orang asing (Indonesian terms for non Indonesian) are interested in my native martial art. It is important to note that there are 27++ provinces in Indonesia, and each has their own Silat styles, sometimes more than 10-20 styles per province. And sometimes they are totally different from each other, for example the Bangau Putih style are very different with Merpati Putih style, and Pencak Silat Paseban are very different with Silat Mustika Kwitang despite coming from the same city. So for the martial art lovers there will be no shortage of new things to learn from many many Silat styles.

Your friend from Jakarta, Indonesia,

Ben Haryo
www.goshinbudo.clan.st

Latest Discussions