Decline of CMA

R

RHD

FasterthanDeath said:
Yes the taji legacy the only CMA tournament that is held here in the DFW area. Hosted by jimmy wong, a very nice guy. I love those tournaments. And I do attend them every year. I feel thats how tournaments should be and they are always very very good. .

So how did you do last year?

Who is the grandmaster that you helped to create the system for and what system is it. Is it Mike Vendrell and Yee Chuan tao? Rob Moses and 9 "psalms" Preying Mantis?

Mike

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
My teacher was the one primarily responsible for the creation of the AAU CMA program back in the early 90s. Eventually it passed on to some other folks who had $$$ in their eyes more than anything else, and from what I gather (I haven't competed in AAU stuff since 1991 or so) it has nothing but nosedived into the dirt since then...

Sad, really.
It really is sad, its to bad that it is becoming so neglected. It could be a really great tournement if run well and judged well, and maybe organized a bit.

7sm

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
It really is sad, its to bad that it is becoming so neglected. It could be a really great tournement if run well and judged well, and maybe organized a bit.

7sm

I remember in 1990 or 1991 two prominent instructors from the West Coast showed up in Iowa for the National Championships. When they did, one of the first things they did was to ask how much they were receiving in compensation... They appeared less than thrilled to find out that it was on their own dime.

Another prominent instructor from north of the US was quite full of himself... When I introduced my sister in law to him, he said "I'm So and So" in such a tone as to imply that his name alone would convey the totality of his deeds... My sis looked at him, looked at me, looked back at him and said "Am I supposed to know you?"

Too many egos, not enough students. I tried to get something started locally via the AAU, but the state AAU office is too concerned with their bottom line to put any effort into helping people out... I emailed the representative about trying to act as the state rep for AAU CMA, and instead of "do this, this and then this," I was berated for not being in the AAU to begin with, told that they weren't interested in solicitations from non-AAU members, etc. Whatever... So WA goes without.

It was good when it first started. I admit I really like the rules now, but I won't be participating in anything with them any time soon...

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, you said it, too many egos! I think that is probably across the board in any system, but it does seem to be contributing quite largely to the decline of CMA. This is just one example, and its too bad to.

7sm

Latest Discussions