Deceptive Kicking

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Come on now, do you really expect us to divulge all our secret techniques? :D

One of my favorites is throwing 2 kicks in rapid succession (usually expecting them to be blocked), then chambering a third kick, but holding it. If my opponent takes the bait, he/she will move their guard to block the third kick that doesn't come, and leave themselves wide open. I can then either throw the kick, or attack with a hand technique.

A classic one I've seen, but not had much success with, is to throw a hook kick over my opponent's head, from a closed stance postion so that your foot ends up in front of them. Then, without putting your foot down, just use the same leg to roundhouse them in the head. It's a cheap shot, but I've seen it work.

(My Rob, you've certainly been an active poster lately.)

A

Ahriman

"One of my favorites is throwing 2 kicks in rapid succession (usually expecting them to be blocked), then chambering a third kick, but holding it. If my opponent takes the bait, he/she will move their guard to block the third kick that doesn't come, and leave themselves wide open. I can then either throw the kick, or attack with a hand technique."

Do you mean with the using the same leg or alternating?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahriman, I will have to try that...if I ever get back to class that is.;)

I like fake anythings to start,but not all the time though. One of my favorites is to do a high crescent front leg and when they back up throw a side to the chest without putting my leg down. Or a fake side, then a quick 360 round kick. TW

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
spinning and different chambering.. you can chamber many kicks to look like a different kick in order to throw their hands to block the wrong area.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is my favorite "Deceptive Kick" for point sparring.

Start by starting your spin for a spinning hook/heel kick, and keep the kicking nice and close to you. Pass the point where you would normally launch the kick and jab out a quick round house kick. Your opponents hands will automatically be on the wrong side of their body to stop the kick.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ahriman, I usually throw all the kicks with the same leg, and it's usually my lead leg. The idea is to get your opponent hooked on a pattern, and I think switching legs would break the pattern prematurely by taking more time.

But then again, maybe not. I haven't actually ever tried it with alternating legs. It might be worth experimenting.

A

Ahriman

I usually try to alternate legs just for the fact that if the person knows what leg you favor, your already at a dissadvantage. With alternating legs, they have more trouble ... (shrug) thats just my thought.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ahriman said:
I usually try to alternate legs just for the fact that if the person knows what leg you favor, your already at a dissadvantage. With alternating legs, they have more trouble ... (shrug) thats just my thought.

That's true, but I thought you meant switching legs in the middle of the particular technique I had described.

A

Ahriman

... alternating in the middile of a technique ... hmmmmm, I'll have to try that. But yea, I thought you meant sticking to using just one leg in a combo.

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Here are a few I have found very useful in the past:

Jump Reverse Side Kick- Sparring stance, you jump and turn your body towards the oponant... Chambering the back leg for a side kick. When you turn nearly 180degrees around, throw out that chambered leg. Use this when your oponant has commited himself to a charge. Practice this as a close-in technique. If done right, they'll never expect a jump kick while that close to them.

Twist kick- each are facing oposite directions (closed stance). When nice and close, they'll be trying to punch. Block/cover-up and twist kick the front foot and connect it to the back of their head. Its a blind spot move.

360 degree jump reverse side kick- like the jump reverse, but this time the kick comes from the front leg after spinning 360 degrees around. Leaping at them and spinning, they'll most likely guard the head.. however, aim for the chest/stomach.

Jump side/side- This is a simple jump side kick, however, when you land (and the kick was probably blocked) DO NOT PUT THE KICKING LEG DOWN. Keep it up as you land on one foot and quickly side kick it again (no jump this time). Oponant will probably be trying to throw a punch or two, thinking you're in the landing process and they'll end up runing into the side kick.

Hand Techniques- Being TKD has a lot of kicking... and the fact that too many rely on kicking for the big points in the ring... I have found that getting close in and using blocking/striking with the hands has done well. Work on bouncing in and out of hands range until you feel quick enough... before you know it, you'll be able to score a punch within the same distance as a kick. No one ever expects that to happen. Not even the judges, so careful that they "see" the technique.

Hope this helps some!

Latest Discussions