Death

M

Mon Mon

Question Do you guys belive in the idea of living each day like it is your last and contimplate your own death? basically do you see yourselves as a warrior or martial artist is this a game to you or way of life? Do you belive the only purpose of a warrior is to destroy the enemy?

OP
P

pknox

I do strive to live my life as if it could end tomorrow, but I don't always succeed in doing so, because like most people, I end up getting caught up in life's day-to-day issues. Having children usually exacerbates this, as there is a lot of stuff that ends up taking up your time. I also try not to become fixated on death, because if I do, I usually can't remain productive for very long. Too much philosophy can sometimes be dangerous (think of Descartes and the bathtub ;)). I definitely consider myself a warrior, and to me martial arts is a way of life that defines me -- not a game or a hobby. I also believe that while destroying the enemy may be part of what a warrior does, it shouldn't define him or her. Their true goal should be to use their skills and power to make the world a better and fairer place when they leave it.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do I live each day as tho it is my last? No. Its difficult and unrealistic in the modern world... you fail to do this if you have debt... that leaves owning a home out...

Do I understand death is a natural course in my life and accept that it can come to me or those I care about at any moment? Absolutley.

I also consider myself a Warrior, or more typicaly I am training and striving to become one... I dont consider my art "a game", although I often joke about it... (My "Chicks Dig Assassins" Tshirt is the perfect example of that)

Dunno if that answers your question or not.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
no you can't live each day like it's your last..otherwise, why would you do laundry?

and no, we are not warriors. The real warriors are over in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ender
no you can't live each day like it's your last..otherwise, why would you do laundry?

and no, we are not warriors. The real warriors are over in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I believe There is a difference between a soldier and a warrior.

And by your definition, were they NOT warriors before they went to the middle east? Will they not be when they come home?

What about Nam Vets? Are they not warriors because they are not in the Middle east?

Does activley engaging in combat make you a warrior? If so, what about L.A. SWAT members? Or cops?

I guess the real trick to to "Define" what warrior means...
Main Entry: war·rior
Pronunciation: 'wor-y&r, 'wor-E-&r, 'wär-E- also 'wär-y&r
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English werriour, from Old North French werreieur, from werreier to make war, from werre war -- more at WAR
Date: 14th century
: a man engaged or experienced in warfare; broadly : a person engaged in some struggle or conflict

Personally, I define myself as a warrior by my willingness to accept responsibility for the saftey and well being of others around me, before considering my own well being.

As stupid as it may be in todays society, I would not stand Idly by as a woman was raped, a man beaten, or whatever crime was occuring that could injur or kill other if it was within my means to prevent.

Am I perfect or a perfect example of a warrior? Hell no... as I said before... I STRIVE for it. Do I consider mysef one just because of my military service time? Nope.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe that true warriors work on healing their enemies. It's too common in this world to despise others. I think a warrior, in the truest sense of the word, sees others...even those who are attacking them or others, as human beings.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"There are many that live deserve death, and there are many that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be so eager to deal out death and destruction..."
Gandalf to Frodo by JRR Tolkien

"Do not hurt when holding is enough
Do not wound when hurting is enough
Do not maim when wounding is enough
Do not kill when maiming is enough
The greatest warrior is he who does not have to kill."

The Oath Of Peace from Stephen R. Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

:asian: respectfully submitted after reading the posts on the topic. :asian:

Pervaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Read the "Prince" by Michaelli in regards to Princes and Principalities - its an approach that is taken in the real world

P

Latest Discussions