Dead < laying down < sitting < standing < walking < running

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you agree with this order?

Running water won't grow bugs. If you move a tree, that tree will die. If you move a person, that person will live longer.

Do you prefer to hold your side kick in the air for 10 minutes? Or do you prefer to spend that 10 minutes to do side kick instead. Of course both training can be useful. But if you can only choice one, which one will you choose?

Your thought?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some people believe that to stand like this can be good for health.

hug-tree.jpg

I believe this is much better for health.

happy-run.jpg

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you on all points, and if I had to choose 1, Inwould choose 10 mins side kick, rather than 1 10 min static.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

hug-tree.jpg

happy-run.jpg

Yeah but standing is easier.

It is like treatment for things like knee or back pain. Loosing weigut really is one of the most effective. But it is hard. So people do anything else.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Staying in horse stance can build up foundation. After you have built your foundation, you will need to build your house (application).

Staying in grade school forever won't earn you a PhD degree.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running water won't grow bugs. If you move a tree, that tree will die.

Running water carries germs, microbes, all sorts of nasties and trees are moved all the time and survive very nicely in their new locations.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Running water won't grow bugs. If you move a tree, that tree will die. If you move a person, that person will live longer.

Do you prefer to hold your side kick in the air for 10 minutes? Or do you prefer to spend that 10 minutes to do side kick instead. Of course both training can be useful. But if you can only choice one, which one will you choose?

Your thought?
I get what you are saying but I have worked on hundreds of water and waste water projects. Believe me, bugs grow everywhere, especially in running water.
FYI, in waste water this is a very, very good thing.

But to your point, I like your second post; building the foundation is/should be the initial goal. Over time, we (martial artists) have learned how to blend building foundation concurrent with 'moving'. It is in the efficiency of motion and training that we accomplish both. That said, foundational skills should always lead the way.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I neither agree or disagree with the order, it is a gross generalization, based on one person's view, which IMO is comparing apples to oranges. And throwing in "dead", IMHO, is just plain silly. Might as well ask if one agrees with the order Sick > sleeping > walking > bike riding > strength training > running. Obviously of the choices sick is the least desirable.... but the order of the rest is entirely dependant on what your trying to achieve.

Running water can gather no bugs? Look up bugs that are found in and on rivers. And one aso should know....running water can destroy civilizations.

Standing practice, lest we forget, is also standing meditation. I think many often miss that point. Like sitting meditation, which has been proven to be good for the mind. Another thing that is often forgotten in stance training is ultimately, to be effective, this has to move

It is foundation, but it is also more, it is also training breath, training mind, strengthening, etc. And should not be compared to walking or running. And throwing in "dead" is IMHO, just plain silly. It's purpose is to train something other that the cardiovascular system

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I neither agree or disagree with the order, it is a gross generalization, based on one person's view, which IMO is comparing apples to oranges. And throwing in "dead", IMHO, is just plain silly. Might as well ask if one agrees with the order Sick > sleeping > walking > bike riding > strength training > running. Obviously of the choices sick is the least desirable.... but the order of the rest is entirely dependant on what your trying to achieve.

Running water can gather no bugs? Look up bugs that are found in and on rivers. And one aso should know....running water can destroy civilizations.

Standing practice, lest we forget, is also standing meditation. I think many often miss that point. Like sitting meditation, which has been proven to be good for the mind. Another thing that is often forgotten in stance training is ultimately, to be effective, this has to move

It is foundation, but it is also more, it is also training breath, training mind, strengthening, etc. And should not be compared to walking or running. And throwing in "dead" is IMHO, just plain silly. It's purpose is to train something other that the cardiovascular system

We can see you are handling lock down well

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Your thought?
Running water still grow bugs that live on the bottom of the river or creek. Even a tree moves with the wind and the sun. So the answer seems easy to me. Move.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Beginner will spend 20 minutes to stay in horse stance.
Non-beginner will spend the same amount time in the application of the horse stance.

horse-stance.jpg

Chang-push.gif

Lin-hip-throw-solo.gif
Not sure of the point you are making.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with KFWang, on the benefits of training static for beginners, imo, it helps train control, as well as developing smaller muscle groups, it is something we still train in Systema to a degree, no 20 min horse stance, but the humble push up, take 20 seconds down, stop half way and hold for 10 seconds, finish the down, then begin the up, with slow smooth movement, stop half way, continue up, repeat, the pause we use is to try to release the tension (as we progress the pause, and up and down time increases), we are looking to push through the threshold, with breath control and relaxation, increasing the bodies capabilities of dealing with stress, increasing ones control over body and mental limits, however, movement and efficient movement, should be the target for most ma and sd senario.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here are 2 extremes:

1. If you don't move, I won't move.
2. I may not find opportunity to attack you right at this moment. But as long as I keep moving around, soon or later I'll find that opportunity to attack you.

IMO, 1 < 2.

Of course we are not talking about SD here. we are talking about fighting.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
  • Walking may help you live longer. A study published in JAMA Internal Medicine found that older women taking about 4,400 steps per day had a 41% lower risk of dying. Another study, this one published in JAMA Network Open, found that taking 7,000 steps a day was linked to a 50% to 70% lower risk of mortality. Yet another study, this one published in Nature, found that walking briskly for as little as 10 minutes a day may lower your biological age by 16 years and help you live up to 20 years longer.

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score

hug-tree.jpg

happy-run.jpg
Depends on what type of health, the intended outcome. I seriously doubt for those thinking the standing is easy to do if they could do it meeting the requirements.