Day 3 Training. More whining -4 pounds dropped

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bad news is that the new training still sucks. I'm sore and hungry (my body thinks that it's hungry). The good news is that I dropped 4 pounds in 3 days. I'm glad I started to get into gardening because it's become a large part of my diet lately

I grow sweet peppers in a planter so I can have a longer growing season, and I mix it with my low calorie food to help give the appearance that I'm still eating the same amount of food. They pretty much go with any food except for cereal, cakes, and pies lol. These bad boys cost me about $5 -$6 dollars a bag in the store. I haven't purchased any since last year and I've eaten more than 60 of these things already this year. I'm hoping to get my Bok choy growing this month since worms destroyed them over the summer.
Baby-BellPeppers.jpg

I thought the hardest part would be the physical training but it turns out the calorie reduction is the hard part. I "feel hungry" but deep down I know that it is really me not "feeling full." 4 months made me feel comfortable about having food in my stomach vs feeling hungry. An empty stomach doesn't always mean hunger and I'm finding that to be the biggest challenge right now. Getting used to an empty stomach or a stomach that's not full.

Now the goal is to keep the 4 pounds off and not go in the other direction by eating junk food. I need to keep up the training pace as well at least until the weekend when I can get a little break from the demanding workout. I think I open the fridge at least 10 times without getting anything out. I learned that I've become a habitual eater so if I'm not doing anything then I eat.

My kung fu forms are rusty, it will take a while to build my stamina back to where it used to be. 45 years of age doesn't recover as quick as 30 or 20.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bad news is that the new training still sucks. I'm sore and hungry (my body thinks that it's hungry). The good news is that I dropped 4 pounds in 3 days. I'm glad I started to get into gardening because it's become a large part of my diet lately

I grow sweet peppers in a planter so I can have a longer growing season, and I mix it with my low calorie food to help give the appearance that I'm still eating the same amount of food. They pretty much go with any food except for cereal, cakes, and pies lol. These bad boys cost me about $5 -$6 dollars a bag in the store. I haven't purchased any since last year and I've eaten more than 60 of these things already this year. I'm hoping to get my Bok choy growing this month since worms destroyed them over the summer.
Baby-BellPeppers.jpg

I thought the hardest part would be the physical training but it turns out the calorie reduction is the hard part. I "feel hungry" but deep down I know that it is really me not "feeling full." 4 months made me feel comfortable about having food in my stomach vs feeling hungry. An empty stomach doesn't always mean hunger and I'm finding that to be the biggest challenge right now. Getting used to an empty stomach or a stomach that's not full.

Now the goal is to keep the 4 pounds off and not go in the other direction by eating junk food. I need to keep up the training pace as well at least until the weekend when I can get a little break from the demanding workout. I think I open the fridge at least 10 times without getting anything out. I learned that I've become a habitual eater so if I'm not doing anything then I eat.

My kung fu forms are rusty, it will take a while to build my stamina back to where it used to be. 45 years of age doesn't recover as quick as 30 or 20.
Good work.

Life has thrown me some deviations and my training pretty much ended for about three years. I’ve been making a real effort to reclaim my training habit for the past several weeks, and I’m feeling a lot better already. But i know the issues that you describe.

Keep it up. I will too.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good work.

Life has thrown me some deviations and my training pretty much ended for about three years. I’ve been making a real effort to reclaim my training habit for the past several weeks, and I’m feeling a lot better already. But i know the issues that you describe.

Keep it up. I will too.
Keep up your efforts and post about it if you think it will help you to stay on track. It's usually easier to get back into things when you see others doing the same thing. It makes it the effort feel less lonely. This is one of the benefits of going to a gym vs trying to workout alone. When that the lazy feeling creeps up, the people only have to look at other people working out to get that extra effort. when you train alone, without coaching, then you really have to dig down deep sometimes just to "show up and workout." with no one around.

Then there's the comfort of home all around me, bed, sofa, t.v. I have a play list that I use for my timer now. When all the songs are finished then I'm done unless I want to push some more.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Baby-BellPeppers.jpg

Inspirational;brings back memories. Are you in training for anything in particular?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Inspirational;brings back memories. Are you in training for anything in particular?
Well normally my training is just to be health, but I have increased the intensity in training in hopes that I will get a chance to spar with my Sifu's teacher next year. For me that's just a really good opportunity. So to answer your question. I'm pretty much in training so that I'm not beaten up too badly by my Si gung (my sifu's teacher.) I've never sparred with anyone that is 6'5" before. By him being bigger and stronger I will be able to not hold back on my techniques. Normally I hold back, meaning I don't relax like I should or go at the speed that I should, because the techniques have a high probability to knock someone out if they don't block or if they miss a block. At 6'5" He'll be well out of that range for being knocked out so I can just let it loose. His conditioning is way better than mine so I don't have to worry about me hurting him. However, I do have to make sure that I'm conditioned enough to go multiple rounds of punishment. He's an ole skool martial artist so I'm not expecting much kindness with the exception of accidentally knocking me out because I missed a block.

It won't be just sparring because I know he'll want me to show him the forms as well. So I have to get that "perfect" My natural weight is 175. I weigh 201 pounds now. I need to loose 26 pounds, build up my strength, and my body conditioning. To give you an idea. My Sifu can go Shin to Shin with me and that hurts me, he doesn't feel it. My Sifu can go Shin to Shin with his teacher, that hurts my Sifu and his teacher doesn't feel it.

The other reason I need to get into shape is because my health deteriorated when I wasn't training. I gained 5 pounds, started to eat bad, and just did everything wrong as far as my health. I took a physical and the bad eating habits should up with increase in cholesterol, increase in blood, sugar and something else with my blood. I need to get all of that back on track. The extra weight that I have is also causing some back problems. The sooner I improve my health the better. Then I get to damage my body and learn some kung fu. Martial arts logic lol.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Sending you a sincere man hug, bro. And keep it up.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well normally my training is just to be health, but I have increased the intensity in training in hopes that I will get a chance to spar with my Sifu's teacher next year. For me that's just a really good opportunity. So to answer your question. I'm pretty much in training so that I'm not beaten up too badly by my Si gung (my sifu's teacher.) I've never sparred with anyone that is 6'5" before. By him being bigger and stronger I will be able to not hold back on my techniques. Normally I hold back, meaning I don't relax like I should or go at the speed that I should, because the techniques have a high probability to knock someone out if they don't block or if they miss a block. At 6'5" He'll be well out of that range for being knocked out so I can just let it loose. His conditioning is way better than mine so I don't have to worry about me hurting him. However, I do have to make sure that I'm conditioned enough to go multiple rounds of punishment. He's an ole skool martial artist so I'm not expecting much kindness with the exception of accidentally knocking me out because I missed a block.

It won't be just sparring because I know he'll want me to show him the forms as well. So I have to get that "perfect" My natural weight is 175. I weigh 201 pounds now. I need to loose 26 pounds, build up my strength, and my body conditioning. To give you an idea. My Sifu can go Shin to Shin with me and that hurts me, he doesn't feel it. My Sifu can go Shin to Shin with his teacher, that hurts my Sifu and his teacher doesn't feel it.

The other reason I need to get into shape is because my health deteriorated when I wasn't training. I gained 5 pounds, started to eat bad, and just did everything wrong as far as my health. I took a physical and the bad eating habits should up with increase in cholesterol, increase in blood, sugar and something else with my blood. I need to get all of that back on track. The extra weight that I have is also causing some back problems. The sooner I improve my health the better. Then I get to damage my body and learn some kung fu. Martial arts logic lol.
Much respect to that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Nobody goes in to a fight wishing they had less cardio.

Train hard

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How old is your Sifu's teacher? The reason that I'm asking because my teacher passed away 31 years ago. My teacher's teacher passed away ...
He just turned 50 and has 39 years of experience and conditioning.

Latest Discussions