Dave's not here man.

OP
Dave Leverich

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rofl, what a bunch of nuts :)

But hey, I should fit right in!

My dad used to answer the door like that, he'd know it twas me and go 'Dave's not here man', finally I was old enough and had watched the movies so yeah, running dialog heh.

Thanks all, I feel welcome indeed :)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings Dave, welcome to the board (I see you've already met some of our more unruly members :D). It's good to have you with us, and any info you have on the linkages between ATA and the other TKD organizations in terms of lineages and so on will be very welcome here!

OP
Dave Leverich

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've actually been working on that some. Trying to piece the whole thing together in a non-denominational way.

From what I've learned, ITA was an ATA offshoot from 1983-5ish?
HTF is from GM Jack Pierce via ATA, in 1993ish (Fluffy would have the exact date, or I'll ask GMP next time we bs). GMP is a close personal friend so I can find out relatively easily on that one.
Those are the only two that come right to mind on lineage starting in the ATA.

But then, look at Han Mu Do. DR/GM Kimm originally was in the ATA, with GM He Il Cho as well. (see: http://www.hanmudo.com/bio06.html) I remember seeing pictures of GM Cho's insanely powerful jump reverse side kick into a bag, splitting the bag, and saw the ATA patch. in an old BB mag.

It's my understanding that the ATA was the American arm of the ITF originally. Which makes sense to me. E GM H.U. Lee was originally from CDK under GM Sun, and GM Uhm. Then ODK when he served in the military (teaching on Osan AFB). GM Chuck Norris mentioned that he had been one of his first instructors there.

So it's a hodge podge of history, I'm trying to piece everything together in an accurate fashion.

There's a CM here that studied for some 15 years under GM Lee, perhaps I can fill in some blanks there. (That's actually what led me to this forum, a post about the history).

Anyway, I do appreciate all the warm welcomes. I hope to be an asset.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've actually been working on that some. Trying to piece the whole thing together in a non-denominational way.

From what I've learned, ITA was an ATA offshoot from 1983-5ish?
HTF is from GM Jack Pierce via ATA, in 1993ish (Fluffy would have the exact date, or I'll ask GMP next time we bs). GMP is a close personal friend so I can find out relatively easily on that one.
Those are the only two that come right to mind on lineage starting in the ATA.

But then, look at Han Mu Do. DR/GM Kimm originally was in the ATA, with GM He Il Cho as well. (see: http://www.hanmudo.com/bio06.html) I remember seeing pictures of GM Cho's insanely powerful jump reverse side kick into a bag, splitting the bag, and saw the ATA patch. in an old BB mag.

Hee Il Cho was originally ATF??? Well I'll be.... somthing-ed! I've heard about his vandalism with respect to heavy bags, though... would have loved to have seen those pictures.

It's my understanding that the ATA was the American arm of the ITF originally. Which makes sense to me. E GM H.U. Lee was originally from CDK under GM Sun, and GM Uhm. Then ODK when he served in the military (teaching on Osan AFB). GM Chuck Norris mentioned that he had been one of his first instructors there.

So it's a hodge podge of history, I'm trying to piece everything together in an accurate fashion.

Good luck with this venture---it's actually a good enterprise not just for sheer historical curiosity, but as a way of presented a more integrated picture of TKD in N. America which might have the effect---if people learn enough about it---of diminishing some of the sectarian back-biting that TKD is prone to (though as far as I can see, not nearly as much as some of the other MAs).

There's a CM here that studied for some 15 years under GM Lee, perhaps I can fill in some blanks there. (That's actually what led me to this forum, a post about the history).

Anyway, I do appreciate all the warm welcomes. I hope to be an asset.

Don't worry about that, you already are an asset! This is actually some of the first historically detailed information I've run across on the ATA... I hope you continue this project, it's very worthwhile.

OP
Dave Leverich

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll do what i can!

Actually GM Cho was ATA, not ATF (yet another TKD org hehe).
But, last I heard that ended a while back. I know one of his nieces on another TKD site, I'll see if I can't find out more via that route as well.

Dr. Kimm might be a good source as well.

Also, GM Robinson from Sacremento might be helpful. He's 8th/GM in WTF now, but was ATA for aeons. Of course he started as WTF but when he got back from Korea, no one but the ATA would honor his certs. (I understand at that time, actual Korean TKD was frowned upon over American versions).

Anyway, it should be an interesting journey. :)

JOHN PATTON

White Belt
Reaction score
LOL Im here he he he . I started in the WTA in 1978 then had my instructor go into the air force and was with out a instructor .I got to my brown belt .I met Dave at a Joe Lewis seminar in first part of 86 then I joined the ATA in 86 .Now I have my 5th degree and own a school .I bought a school in 98 .Ive boxed and wresled and done some judo . Dave and I have been great friends now over 20 years.:ultracool

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Dave and welcome, I'm TKD too :wavey:

I can see you and Exile are really going to get on.... hey they found you a playmate Ex! :lol:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome, Dave. You've already got a sampling of some of our goofiness here. Enjoy. :) ANd actually I see you've been here a few months now. Glad you've stuck with us.

mjd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kicker's are good :mst: , don't have to worry about putting your foot in your mouth here, I hold the record.

welcome

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Dave, it looks like you are already having fun, enjoy.:)

Latest Discussions