Dating

OP
B

blackbeltedbeauty

Martial arts actually brought my boyfriend and I together so I am for dating another martial artist. We actually are engaged now and plan to be married next August. However, if a break up occurs between two martial artists in the same school, one will most likely drop out, and that would be bad. *cries at the thought* So ya, it's risky, but for me, it was worth it. All love is like gambling. You have to lose and sacrifice alot before you win. Why would you date a heathen, anyway? Just kidding. :) :asian:

OP
J

jaymo

i've been told i can do whatever i want, as long as i can live with the consequences.

i discovered martial arts via a person i dated. it was a positive experience, of course, until we broke up. going to the dojo was a different experience after that. every time i went to class, i prayed i would not run into the ex. i realized that i can't put off my dreams and goals because of people i dislike or disagree with--hell, the world is chock full o' nuts. so... i stuck with it, and eventually left the school because the school changed management and shifted in quality.

the cool thing was i didn't let this person's presence intimidate me and drive me out of there. i found out later that this person ended up leaving a few months after i did for the same reasons...shift in management.

i'm at another school and super happy. if this person were to mosey in and want to be a student, i am 100% positive that i would not have a problem and would be totally respectful of them. i'm human and would probably feel some icky stuff initially, but my ability to maintain maturity would not be shaken.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, this mirrors my experiance, kinda. I to got into the arts after dating a MAist, Kenpoist to be exact. I never trained with her, ended up at a different school, but people still say they see her in my training. Our break up was awhile ago, but through her I meet some cool people. I guess you could say I blame her for all this ;) I personally will not date inside my school. Two reasons. One is 260lb of 5th degree black belt that has instructed me, as my employer not too, and secondly he knows where I live *cheeky grin*
Truth be told, my school is two things. A martial arts school and a buisness. If we lose students due to "internal conflicts" that affects on the buisness side of things. And as an employee I cannot do that. Student between student is different. I know of at least one couple who were married after meeting in my school. I know another who though divorced recently continue to train together although the tension I believe is patatable. We'll see how it goes.

Latest Discussions