Dating

S

SMP

Do you think it is a good idea for Martial Artists to date other Martial Artist? Why? I have seen lots of relationships come and go between MA's and was wondering the pro's and con's people see ?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
just like any other situation where there is a definite structure of rank, there can be some downsides...for instance...an instructor dating a student can cause problems maintaining a student-teacher relationship during class...

however...when dating having someone that shares your interests can be a big plus...especially when they can be as varied as martial arts....someone who isn't a martial artists may not understand why we always have to go to the gym and train...

pretty much like anything else...i know it's a cliche...but if two people are really into each other...you can work around other problems...

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IMO, if it works for them then more power to them. The only thing that potentially can occur are some problems with regarding teachers and students. Details need not be elaborated on. However, even in certain cases I've seen it work well too.

OP
S

SMP

recognizing potential problems do schools out there have any rules in this area?

Our school does not allow family or "significant others" to spar or do contact drills with eachother.

Kunoichi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think martial artists dating others is a good idea, who better to understand your love of it. Its always nice to share something important to both you and your partner!
However, if the two people are in the same class, there are risks. Been there, done that. I had just joined the school and happened to fall for a guy there. Sadly he turned out to be a b****rd and we broke up after about 2 months. I know a lot of people when they break up within dojos, 1 of them leaves (usually the woman). I have refused to, even though I considered it for a while first. I see him a lot and it is quite akward between us. I usually avoid him to stop it interfering with my training but I still have the memory linguring in the back of my mind.
If it works out for the couple then great, but I always think; what if it never happened... Still, every mistake is a learning experience!

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think its good because of the common interest, the question is how are you going to behave around each other in class when it dont work out?

OP
O

OC Kid

Sure I got my ex into MA and now she's running a school of her own. We still talk in fact I got to call her soon (she outta state) Her hubby is a IKKYU now her one of daughters is Hachikyu also

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
however...when dating having someone that shares your interests can be a big plus...especially when they can be as varied as martial arts....someone who isn't a martial artists may not understand why we always have to go to the gym and train....

I agree. I got my boyfriend into it. We train together, same nights in the dojang, and a day or two at home. We love it. Like bignick said, it one of the common interests we share.

I trained alone for a year (before I met him) and it sucked. I was the only one in my family and my group of friends that trained. I had to go to the dojang 4 to 6 times a week to have a partner to train with. They thought I was nuts. I donno how I did it alone and stuck it out, honestly.

I think it's better to have your other half train (or even a friend), too. But that's just me.

OP
B

Billy Reuter

hello,

I just thought I would share my own experiance. Before teaching Kempo I was an instructor at a shaolin kung-fu school, and started dating one of the students. That was 4 1/2 years ago. We have now been married for 3 months.
We teach and train together all of the time and we both share a great passion for martial arts. So I say go for it.:)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hollywood1340 said:
For me I prefer my date be a martial artist. You must understand the madness. Now if only I could find a date!
I couldn't have said it beter...

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with two martial artists dating since, as stated before, there is a definite mutual interest. However, as with anything, there are certain caveats I recommend.

1. Two people from different schools-not a problem. They don't train together, one does not potentially have authority over another, and it could be interesting to compare what they are learning. In other words, a tae kwon do student dating an aikido student.
2. Two people from the same school gets a bit trickier. Two color belts in the same class? Not recommended. If there are problems, you still have to deal with the other person nightly. Very awkward in the case of a breakup.
Two black belts? Not a problem. Both are on the same level, hense equal.
Instructor dating a student? Absolutely out of the question. I can't emphasize that enough. I know it happens, and I can't disagree with it enough. I don't care if the ages are similar. It is unethical and wrong. I don't care how attractive the other person is (and I've taught some attractive students along the way!). Hands off your students!
One of our Senior Instructors treated his female students like his personal dating pool. I did then and still do think he is an amoral A-Hole. I respect his rank but not him.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dating a martial artisit is a tricky situation. Especially if they are a higher rank than you. I was dating a nidan when I was a green belt. This was a bit uncomfortable since she was my instructors assistant also. So my advice would be to date outside of your own dojo. The old expression never crap where you eat is a good lesson here.

OP
K

KenpoNoChikara

i've dated a couple of classmates, and it goes well until the breakup. In my opinion,it's better to date people from other schools.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's like the saying goes-you have to be able to put personal feelings aside and be professional. It doesn't matter how pretty or attractive they are, you have to consider the long term consequences of dating someone you train with. I don't think it is a good idea. Out of 5 billion people in the world, you have to date these three? Come on!:rolleyes:

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it would be cool dating another MA'ist, someone who would be into having weapons hanging all over the wall...lol

I don’t agree with Instructor/student relationships, unless maybe if they meet outside the Dojo.

It would be so cool to have someone who shares my passion, and someone to practise with at home. When I try to practise things on my other half...its like...ouch, your hurting me..winge, winge, moan, moan...(big baby)

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm engaged to another martial artist and things couldn't be smoother. She understands my passion and supports me in it. I also don't let it effect the relationship other than that.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
I think it would be cool dating another MA'ist, someone who would be into having weapons hanging all over the wall...lol

I don’t agree with Instructor/student relationships, unless maybe if they meet outside the Dojo.

It would be so cool to have someone who shares my passion, and someone to practise with at home. When I try to practise things on my other half...its like...ouch, your hurting me..winge, winge, moan, moan...(big baby)

Yes, the weapons all over my walls and through the house, has made some women think twice. ;)

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think its hot...its even worse when I guy gets scared after seeing the weapons on the wall!

Thats how my obsession with MA began, I dated a guy that had weapons all over his walls...I thought it was so cool!

Rich Parsons said:
Yes, the weapons all over my walls and through the house, has made some women think twice. ;)