Dan Numbers - do they really matter?

Discussion in 'Tang Soo Do' started by Makalakumu, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Moto9000

Moto9000 White Belt

Thank you for your reply. That is very interesting. Anyone at the dojang with a dark bluebelt or higher could teach class if the master was not available. Before we were issued a blackbelt we had to earn three white stripes on our dark bluebelts through teaching all the warmups, stretches, techniques and colored belt forms to the class. The majority of students quit before they got a "blackbelt" and a dan # and kukkiwon certification even if they had a dark bluebelt with stripes.

I recently went to a new, local taekwondo school in the US after many years off and was quite surprised at the difference in everything. Their blackbelts start at one stripe instead of no stripes and they have no dan # on their belts. That is apart from the curriculum differences. I have found the Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo curriculum very complete in comparison.

2. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Which MDK TKD curriculum? More than one exists. Depending on when that particular MDK branch split off, they may teach using the Pinan, Palgwae or Taegeuk poomsae.

3. Moto9000

Moto9000 White Belt

I am not sure which branch exactly, though I do know all my gups were issued by the Korea Taekwondo Association.

We learned all the Kicho, Pyung Ahn, Bassai, Naihanji, Ship Soo, Jin Do, Kong San Goon and Ro Hai forms (basically almost everything in Kang Uk Lee's Tang Soo Do book except Chil Sung), plus the Kukkiwon Taegeuks and blackbelt forms. That is in addition to the sparring--both olympic and 3-point, self-defense, basic hapkido, basic boxing and weapons (nunchuk and staff).

It seems many taekwondo schools teach self-defense, hapkido and weapons as separate classes. Though many of the self-defense moves and setups for many hapkido moves are found in the older forms. And the basic weapons forms are based on the kicho patterns.

Almost forgot breaking as well.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Moto9000

Moto9000 White Belt

Just trying to learn more as I didn't know taekwondo/tang soo do/moo duk kwan was taught any other way except when you're training for sanctioned Olympic sparring events with the new kick style where the knee always chambers like a front kick or step to fool the opponent on which angle you're attacking from.

I want to get back into martial arts seriously again with a trained moo duk kwan taekwondo master and earn my kukkiwon 4th dan after going to the local taekwondo school for six months and seeing the "competition" style poomsae forms. At first I seriously thought they were messing with me but after doing a lot of research over the past couple of weeks I realized I need to find a legitimate master if I want to continue any moo duk kwan taekwondo studies.

5. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Just wanted to say, welcome to MartialTalk, Mont. Hope you enjoy it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Moto9000

Moto9000 White Belt

Thank you!

7. JP3

JP3 Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    Dan numbers. I think my ATA and WTF certificates have numbers on them, but all they mean is an identity thing, issued as the certificates go out I think.

In my current association, certificates aren't numbered. Dated of course, but no numbers. There is some "cool" factor to "who" it was that signed this one or that one. A buddy, older instructor of mine's shodan certificate was signed by Kenji TOmiki himself, which I think way neat. I admit, I got a bit fame-glazed about that one, starry-eyed in admiration, the old *(&$^%.

8. Moto9000

Moto9000 White Belt

I wasn't aware the WTF could issue certificates actually. Do you have information on this? Is it through the USAT?

9. Dirty Dog

The WTF doesn't issue certificates.

Your awareness is correct. JP3 is incorrect.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Moto9000

Moto9000 White Belt

I thought as much. I wonder who issued the Pope his 10th dan recently through the WTF lol.

11. Dirty Dog

Honorary ranks don't count...