Daiken Kempo

M

MisterMike

I'm curious if anyone knows about the history of this art and where it was developed.

TIA

OP
M

MisterMike

Originally posted by arnisador
I haven't heard of it. It's Japanese?

I beleive it is, but came from China (or has influence from there). My understanding is that it is even older than Daito-Ryu.

OP
M

MisterMike

Originally posted by Randy Strausbaugh
The only reference which I can find is an article on daikento no kempo by William Durbin. Is this the matter about which you were asking?

Thanks Randy. The article discusses one type of strike and it may have the same roots. From what I have seen, Daiken Kempo contains Tai Sabaki with strikes that lead into throws. It is a very hard style. I will ask my Sensei about this and report back for those who are interested.

OP
M

MisterMike

Daiken Kempo, or Dai Ken Kempo was a system of training before Kenjutsu, AikiJutsu and Karate systems branched off into their own. Therefor it was comprised of training with Swords, Throws and Strikes and dates back ~1000 years.

OP
K

Kempo Guy

My understanding is that it is even older than Daito-Ryu

Daito ryu is not really that old. It was created in the latter part of the 19th century (and into the 20th).

OP
M

MisterMike

Originally posted by Kempo Guy
Daito ryu is not really that old. It was created in the latter part of the 19th century (and into the 20th).

Wasn't that just when Daito Ryu was brought into the public eye?

OP
K

Kempo Guy

It is said that Daito Ryu was a style developed by Sokaku Takeda himself based on arts of the Takeda-han. There is apparently no record of Daito Ryu being in existance prior to Sokaku Takeda.

OP
M

MisterMike

Originally posted by Kempo Guy
It is said that Daito Ryu was a style developed by Sokaku Takeda himself based on arts of the Takeda-han. There is apparently no record of Daito Ryu being in existance prior to Sokaku Takeda.

Right, but the roots go back hundreds of years. My point was that Daiken Kempo also comes from these early formative years of Martial Arts in Japan.

OP
K

Kempo Guy

Only reference I've ever seen on Daiken Kempo is in Mr. Durbin's book.

You could have someone look it up in the "Bugei Ryuha Daijiten". It is a pretty comprehensive text covering lineages and histories of over 9000 ryuha.

KG

OP
K

Kempo Guy

Right, but the roots go back hundreds of years.

There is no evidence of this... unless you mean the roots of the various arts Sokaku Takeda studied (such as Itto Ryu, Shinkage ryu etc) goes back a couple of hundred years...

KG

Latest Discussions