Daedo (Truescore) Feedback

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the A.A.U. Junior and senior National Team is done with so I was looking for input on the elelctronic system either from players or even Gorilla? What was the biggest complaint? How well did it preform againsts let say LaJust? Would you recomend this for tournaments or did the A.A.U. people not like it.​

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I didnt make the team trials but we used it in Spain. I liked it a TON better than Lajust. The only thing I didnt like was that any strike with the bottom of the foot scored. My player scored on a cut kick that was a baby slap. You could see everyone else was seeing the same thing because cut kick was being used more and more by the end of the tournament. If they can fix that problem I would say they are going to be GREAT! They were consistent, they scored in ALL the areas that were legal targets and they weight about as much as a normal hogu.
I would also bet money that AAU will be using them at Nationals at least for the Black Belts this year.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I didnt make the team trials but we used it in Spain. I liked it a TON better than Lajust. The only thing I didnt like was that any strike with the bottom of the foot scored. My player scored on a cut kick that was a baby slap. You could see everyone else was seeing the same thing because cut kick was being used more and more by the end of the tournament. If they can fix that problem I would say they are going to be GREAT! They were consistent, they scored in ALL the areas that were legal targets and they weight about as much as a normal hogu.
I would also bet money that AAU will be using them at Nationals at least for the Black Belts this year.

Isn't that the WTF rule? I thought any part of the foot below the ankle scores. so long as it has the required force. Not "baby slaps" of course.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is a little piece from TKD.net

Looks like LaJust is on its last legs. At this year's Korea Open, they used
Daedo electronic scoring equipment, and the response was mostly favorable.
They did not use the head hogu sensors, and instead scored head shots using
referees, just like with the LaJust system.

The only negative with Daedo is that it scores push kicks and cut kicks,
which the WTF is trying to moving away from. To their credit, they don't
want Taekwondo matches turning into push kick/cut kick ugly slug fests. But
they are working on that issue, perhaps with some sort of manual override of
points scoring by pushing type kicks, perhaps with the TA doing the
override.

Testing of Daedo is also very smooth, and takes about ten seconds to
complete. There apparently is a test function built into the system, and all
it takes is for the testees make very light contact to see if the sensors
are working properly. This in in contrast to LaJust, where even when testees
are kicking with all their might, points still aren't scored, even though
their partner doesn't move and is giving them the hogu to hit.

LaJust on the other hand, is failing miserably. The system simply does not
work. For example, I was told that this year's US Nationals was the absolute
worst ever, in terms of scoring. The only ones who support LaJust seems to
be USAT and PATU, which many believe have strong financial interests in
seeing LaJust being used at their events.

At this year's Costa Rica Open held at the end of last month, they used
LaJust, with terrible results. Again, the system simply does not work. WTF
President Choue asked for a report on the use of LaJust at this year's
Costa
Rica Open
, so the referees and others were polled. People were almost
unanimous in their disapproval of LaJust as a scoring system.

Back in Korea, the senior people all realize that they have a dud on their
hands with LaJust. They feel that LaJust has been unresponsive to the
concerns raised by the WTF regarding its reliability under match conditions.
I understand there is some sort of meeting next month or so on the use of
electronic scoring equipment, and perhaps then a decision will be made as to
what electronic scoring gear will be used in the 2012 London Games.

If we are going to use a particular brand of electronic scoring at the
Olympic Games, then we need to decide sooner rather than later, so that the
official electronic gear can be used at the Olympic world and regional
qualifiers.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thats true, and in the past I think that cut kicks were underscored if scored at all. When you see someone buckled at the waist from a cut kick that is a score. But as of right now the problem is that it scores pretty much any touch with the bottom of the foot.

Isn't that the WTF rule? I thought any part of the foot below the ankle scores. so long as it has the required force. Not "baby slaps" of course.

rlp271

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's definitely a problem that needs to be fixed, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few more true side kicks, cut kicks, and front kicks in all honesty.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah our girl lost in the final round with all little taps of cut kicks and push kicks. Evidently the opponent knew how to score with the Daedo hogu and all she did was the Karate style kicking. Tap here, tap there with the front leg and she won.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a wonderful and informative thread. Should those (particularly dojangs) that have not invested in any kind of new electronic gear wait to see which company prevails in this product fight?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
LaJust system also scores cut kicks. Just watch the vid of my son at this past JO's in my sig and you will see the last kick in the clip is a cut kick that bends over the opponent and also scores the point. I think he scored with 2 or 3 cut kicks on the LuJust system in all. Cut kick done properly will score and should score on any system, that includes manual judging as well.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I guess I am confused because the cut kick, sidekick and push kick have all been a part of TKD, so why should'nt they score? On the part about the tapping with the front foot, I saw alot of pretty good front leg kickers in the vids. that I watched. Remember a few months ago we all talked about how the game is changing and if you do not have a front leg you better get one because that is going to be one of the biggest scoring avenues for alot of people.

It is no since in saying it looks like Karate when the lajust system does not even score to the backside because it does not have any sensors in that part. If you make the target area mainly the front that is when the lead leg becomes so important.

In closing I believe the Daedo system has alot more to offer than the Lajust right now, but we will see which really comes out on top in a few years.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't mind loosing or getting scored on with the front push kick or cut kick with enough power to prevent me from delivered my kicks. However, I do mind loosing to "baby tap" cut kick.

My team mate lost because of the "baby taps" cut kicks and "bay taps" push kick, when she off started the match with a spin kick to the head and scored first.

I guess with Daedo hogu, the long legs fighter with cut kicks will win. If a 6 feet tall fighter with short legs, then you are S.O.L. Unless Daedo modified the hogu so "baby taps" wouldn't register.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't mind loosing or getting scored on with the front push kick or cut kick with enough power to prevent me from delivered my kicks. However, I do mind loosing to "baby tap" cut kick.

My team mate lost because of the "baby taps" cut kicks and "bay taps" push kick, when she off started the match with a spin kick to the head and scored first.

I guess with Daedo hogu, the long legs fighter with cut kicks will win. If a 6 feet tall fighter with short legs, then you are S.O.L. Unless Daedo modified the hogu so "baby taps" wouldn't register.

I was not meaning you inparticular, I was just talking about some of the fights I saw by video. The cut kicks i saw moved to opponet backward and the push kick put the person on the floor. I am sure like everything else there was some simple kicks that score but that is part of the game now and has always been that way. I believe we will never be able to get rid of everything, so it just needs to be that way for all fighters so everybody is playing with the same dis-advantages.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I much prefer Daedo...My daughter agrees...The cut kicks score when you are running in and get hit with It. The reason that it score is that you forward motion increases the power of the kick.

Also if you get hit backing up it will reduce the power of the kick. Decreasing the likelihood of a score. The EBP's change the game. It is a head kick game now. I hope that they go with the Electronic Head Gear and take the refs out of scoring!!!

We pick Daedo over LaJust!!!

Latest Discussions