Curriculum and tests

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by skribs, Mar 15, 2019.

1. WaterGal

WaterGal Master of Arts

You asked this a while ago and I never answered. They're rote drills, but meant to give students some conceptual "vocabulary" to work with. What's the right distance I need to be at to kick? Punch? Clinch? What's a closed or open stance? What techniques can I do from there? How can I cover distance quickly if I'm outside of striking radius? How far do I actually need to move back to dodge a technique, and still remain close enough to quickly come back and counterstrike? That's the kind of stuff they're learning by doing the drills, even if they're not always aware of it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Having been an instructor in all three at one time or another, Rank Through Tests, Rank Through Merit and No Belts, it's kind of the same thing - just different.

If I was teaching you to speak French in those three ways, the goal is you speaking (and obviously understanding, reading and writing) French. Not just in class, but walking around Paris.

• Like Like x 3
  3. skribs

skribs Senior Master

Can you expand on this a little bit? You've given me the powerpoint explanation, but I'm looking to understand it a bit better than that.

4. Balrog

Balrog Master of Arts

ATA has a standard curriculum for each rank, but school owners can add stuff if we want. There is a little bit of rote memorization: the student has to know how many moves in the form, what move numbers the kihaps are on and what techniques they do when they kihap, that sort of thing. But sometimes, as they are doing the form, I'll step in front with a board and they have to break it on the next move, whether it's a kick, block, strike, whatever.

On the Black Belt testing, we always come up with an "instructor's challenge". We try to find something that the student might have difficulty doing. It might be multiple sparring, it might be an advanced board break that they haven't practiced, etc. It's nice if they are successful at the challenge, but what is more important (and what we are looking for) is that they approach the challenge with confidence and a can-do attitude.

• Like Like x 2