Cult like behavior

OP
Pat M

Pat M

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd question the need to have students sign something saying they won't train outside the school. That's a red flag right up front, to me.

Yeah signing that form for the first time I thought it was an realistic request. Then I noted that there were students in breach of this requirement? I then realized that it was something to be used when and if required to exclude a student.

I have no issue with rules, just make them equitable with all including the Sifu being answerable to then.

True integrity.
Rule number one "respect the art"

Last edited:

Tortoise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One highly ranked instructor I know of will make sure you cannot find anyone else to teach you, at least in his particular lineage since that is the only place he has power, should you have any type of disagreement with him.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One highly ranked instructor I know of will make sure you cannot find anyone else to teach you, at least in his particular lineage since that is the only place he has power, should you have any type of disagreement with him.
That is perfectly normal. If you leave any job, on bad terms, it is a bad reference.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is ridiculous.

That is perfectly normal. If you leave any job, on bad terms, it is a bad reference.

That's backwards. I am paying him, so if I think he sucks as an instructor, he's the one who gets the bad reference.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. This presupposes that the instructor is always in the right. Just because I disagree with someone who has high rank, that doesn't automatically make me wrong, nor unfit for other instructors. Now, if I've been a problem - poor attitude or behavior - that's a different matter.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I disagree. This presupposes that the instructor is always in the right. Just because I disagree with someone who has high rank, that doesn't automatically make me wrong, nor unfit for other instructors. Now, if I've been a problem - poor attitude or behavior - that's a different matter.
Attitude is always first, but if you have a problem with the instruction, I doubt the affiliated school is much better. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah signing that form for the first time I thought it was an realistic request. Then I noted that there were students in breach of this requirement? I then realized that it was something to be used when and if required to exclude a student.

I have no issue with rules, just make them equitable with all including the Sifu being answerable to then.

True integrity.
Rule number one "respect the art"
I'd prefer a rule that simply says the student attends at the pleasure of the instructor, who can terminate the agreement at any time. That particular rule you mentioned is a warning to me, since it implies they considered that (when writing up the agreement) a problem.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attitude is always first, but if you have a problem with the instruction, I doubt the affiliated school is much better. :)

Not necessarily. There can be very different personalities (and instructor attitudes/approaches) running the different schools in a branch of any association.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are a complete psycho, my teacher would also consider warning the TKD, Tang su do, guys, or anyone else who would listen; because you are a psycho. LOL

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On a related note, I know a guy that left on bad terms, because he felt he deserved a Black Belt. He goes from school to school, with that one little request; because, as far as he is concerned, he has been ready to test since high school, and for some reason, nobody wants to hang a black belt on this guy. No phone calls needed. :)

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
On a related note, I know a guy that left on bad terms, because he felt he deserved a Black Belt. He goes from school to school, with that one little request; because, as far as he is concerned, he has been ready to test since high school, and for some reason, nobody wants to hang a black belt on this guy. No phone calls needed. :)

I know "that guy" too. I think most of us know him.

His cousin "guy who can't let his last art go and always tries to take your head off with it" is a popular one too.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Kudo. He gan get one provided he can clean house.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why does a guy wanting a black belt not simply go out and buy one? It holds as much value to him anyways.

Latest Discussions