Cross Training

B

birney29

Hi, i currently train in Wing Chun and Muay Thai. A place very near where i live teaches boxing, and i thought, rather than sit and watch TV, i should go down and train when i have the chance. However, im worried this boxing will have a detremental effect on my other martial arts? Am i taking to much on or will boxing destroy my wing chun?

Thanks for any advice

Kenny

OP
S

Shoto Tiger

Hi,

To be honest with you, you are the best judge rather than anyone else as to whether you are doing too much or things that don't fit in with your training.

Many people feel you should just stick to one art until you at least achieve a BB, others say learn what you can from other arts though.

How about just trying to do all three for a little while. If you find that you are doing a muaythai punch when you should be doing a boxing punch and vica versa too often it might be something you need to rethink. You can always do it at a later stage. :)

Good luck.

P.S. I do Shotokan, Selfdefence (using pressurepoints) and Modern Arnis...
:D

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I study one system mainly, I add tai chi and Chin Na, some WL and WC to my system a bit. I'm not a big fan of cross training, but alot of people do it regularly. It depends on what you are looking for in your MA. IF you are looking to learn to fight well and quickly, these three may be ok together, if you are wanting to really master Wing Chun, I would be careful doing to many systems together until you have achieved a good understanding of WC.

Just my opinion,

7sm

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Boxing will help with the Mauy Thai
& Even Bruce Lee Did some Boxing
And he was real good with Wing Chun

Cross Training is My best way of not
geting bored of one Martial Art.

I do Submisson Grappling, Moder Arnis & Wrestling
Rite now But have also done J.K.D., Kali Mauy Thai
Bondo & Ju Jitsu/Judo

I think They are all verry good & keep
Me wanting to learn.
I have intrist in Ninjitsu as well.

I say go for all 3 & let your self decide
if 1 or 2 are no longer what U want
:boxing:
Primo

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ace

Boxing will help with the Mauy Thai
& Even Bruce Lee Did some Boxing
And he was real good with Wing Chun

I don't think there are many people here that are in the same class as Bruce was though.

7sm

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
U are 100% rite
But he is a Romodel to us all.
& a great Example for a Martial Artist
100% Rite:roflmao:
:xwing: :redeme:
Primo

OP
B

bscastro

Kenney,

There is great advice already on this thread. I think it's a balance of time, money, and how much you're getting from each. I think many people here train in one or two arts their whole lives and enjoy it. Others do many and enjoy and benefit from it. It really is up to your specific situation.

I've studied a few arts depending on where I lived (moving around for school, work, etc.). Right now I'm concentrating on studying JKD but in that class we incorporate Jun Fan, thai boxng, FMA, and grappling too. However, I still practice my previous training when I can.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do...or if you haven't decided. :)

Bryan

OP
B

birney29

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. ive been doing a lot of research on the internet about this as well. Ive decided to keep doing my wing chun as my main art, with my Muay Thai once a week. I think if i have a spare evening ill go and train in the Boxing too. It will help my fitness and will be a lot better for me than sitting in the house doing nothing. may as well get some exercise! i hope that when i become good, i will be an effective close range fighter( wing chun) and a decent longer range kicker (muay thai).

Cheers guys!

OP
B

bscastro

Originally posted by birney29

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. ive been doing a lot of research on the internet about this as well. Ive decided to keep doing my wing chun as my main art, with my Muay Thai once a week. I think if i have a spare evening ill go and train in the Boxing too. It will help my fitness and will be a lot better for me than sitting in the house doing nothing. may as well get some exercise! i hope that when i become good, i will be an effective close range fighter( wing chun) and a decent longer range kicker (muay thai).

Cheers guys!

Sounds good. In a conversation with my instructor, we talked about cross-training, and the one thing we decided was that life was too short to try to worry about doing everything (it was a situation where I was trying to do a little too much). Do what you enjoy, and there's nothing that says you can't change your mind every once in a while. :)

Good luck.

Bryan

OP
B

birney29

very true, i can see how people could argue against cross training. if my wing chun class was closer to home, id go a lot more. the good thing about the muay thai and boxing is that it is very close to where i live, and is on frequnetly. I also do a fourth martial art ---- ice hockey!!! not sure if that counts but hey....

OP
B

bscastro

very true, i can see how people could argue against cross training. if my wing chun class was closer to home, id go a lot more. the good thing about the muay thai and boxing is that it is very close to where i live, and is on frequnetly. I also do a fourth martial art ---- ice hockey!!! not sure if that counts but hey....

Ah, Canadian stick fighting!

OP
B

birney29

here in scotland we have our own martial art. its called "fuckyou" and basically consits of headbutting people and kickingh them when they're down. quality

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What happens when they spit teeth back at U
& keep coming:erg:
:snipe2: :snipe2: :snipe2:

I know some S.O.B.'s
Like this
:asian:
Primo

OP
B

birney29

in that case, i would scream like a girl until they turn away in disgust, then id hit them over the head with something while they're backs turned! :p

OP
B

bscastro

in that case, i would scream like a girl until they turn away in disgust, then id hit them over the head with something while they're backs turned! :p

If they still keep coming, it is best to employ the Nike method if possible. Run like the wind, because you aren't winning this fight!

Cheers,
Bryan :D

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cross training is an interesting topic.

Will boxing 'ruin' your Wing Chun?
Not exactly. But to be honest, if I were you and I wanted to get better at doing Wing Chun or felt I should be doing more training instead of sitting on my duff, I'd get up and do some Wing Chun. Nothing will improve your Wing Chun more than simply doing more Wing Chun. Skill is a specific accumulation of habbits and patterns. Master one pattern first. I believe in the rifle approach to the martial arts: Study one hard and heavy until you feel VERY adroit in it.... then you might want to fill in the gaps by suplementing with other arts... if you do Wing Chun, then later you might want to do some Tae Kwan Do to improve your kicks. after you have become VERY able in TKD, go to Jujutsu to fill in your throws/sweeps and groundfighting/grappling skills. ETC...

Doing more styles all at once is OK for some. In my opinion, a focused effort gets more done.
Just a thought...
MOST OF ALL: Enjoy what you are doing and do it the best that you can as often as you can!!!! That's what the martial arts should be about.

Your Brother
John

Attachments

• $rose.gif
    $rose.gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 147

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Currently, I'm studying Western Boxing, Jujutsu (stand-up), and Judo. Western Boxing and Judo give me the opportunity to execute techniques full-power against a resisting opponent who is also trying to hit me, throw, choke or joint lock me. Jujutsu gives me the opportunity to practice on my flow and "too deadly for sparring" techniques and different type of throws and joint locks. We generally work off of street scenarios and defense against weapons (i.e. sticks and knives) which are things that generally won't occur in Western Boxing or Judo.

Do what is right for YOU and much success to your training.

Peace & blessings,