Cross Training

J

jjmcc

How do you feel about cross training (training in more than one martial art)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
jjmcc said:
How do you feel about cross training (training in more than one martial art)

I see nothing wrong with it, but I highly suggest that people establish a very good base art first, before moving on.

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Cross training (at the same time) is fine as long as it dosen't affect the other/both schools . Many times it is best to ask both your teachers first. Some schools do not like their students training in other systems, because some students say we do it this way over there? Loyality is important thing. Many times if it is different like Judo and Karate where the arts do not mix your teachers may agree to let you do both. Just my thoughts

For those who can and do cross train in two or more arts, wow! There is so much to learn. Especially if one school is grappling and the other is Karate,Kempo,kung-fu and etc. Boxing is good to learn too?

It is nice to be young and full of energy, go for it....after all it is your life and choice to improve yourself. The more you can learn, will only make you better.

Some of the leading Martial Teachers have two more different types of martial art training in their careers. Is more better? I guess it is better than less? .......more or less.....Aloha

OP
V

Vadim

Cross training is great. I would say make sure the styles complement each other such as Muay Thai and BJJ. It is always enjoyable to train in other methods of martial expression.

-Vadim

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
I see nothing wrong with it, but I highly suggest that people establish a very good base art first, before moving on.

Mike
That about says it all..

OP
K

Knifehand

Jack of all trades, a master of none. I think sticking with one style is the best, because arts can take a lifetime to master.... but people get impatient... but that is just one of the things the MA teaches - Patience

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cross training is ok but one needs the foundation of one Art to build off of.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Knifehand said:
I think sticking with one style is the best, because arts can take a lifetime to master.
I would disagree with that, but I would also guess that you and I have different ideas of what a martial art is.

A martial art, to me, is anything that is designed to improve someones chances of avoiding a violent conflict, and surviving one if it is unavoidable.

To this end I would say it is never possible to 'master' a martial art. It is only possible to improve our odds as best we can. However, it is possible to reach the peak of our martial arts career after only a short time, a few years perhaps. The 'it takes a lifetime to master the arts' is usually a fallacy. It takes dedication, hard work, and long hours spent training.

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It depends on your goals and your reason for training. If you are training for discipline, spirtual reasons, etc. (i.e. Shorinji Kempo, Ki Aikido), there is probably no need to cross-train. If you're training for self protection purposes or for competition, cross-training is the way to go.

BTW, you'll never master anything. You'll just get better at it.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Consider this: Suppose you're training in the martial arts in some isolated place, like Deep Space 9. Whatever method you're practicing didn't have any name..."kenpo," "TKD," "jujutsu." But after training hard with your instructors and fellow aliens for, let's say, 10 years (Earthtime), you could punch, kick, throw, grapple, and execute locks. Forget about calling anyone a "master," because if you keep training well, of course you'll get better. But would it really matter that your "art" didn't have a name? Isn't it just cool enough learning different ways to move in a martial way? Isn't that basically what Bruce Lee considered JKD? A non-style?

I appreciate the philosophy history and lineage of the martial arts, and it's great practicing a style that the ninja might have used, or that Chinese warriors might have trained in. And I agree, learning "basics" is, well, basic. But I prefer different possibilities of movement.

My first training was kenpo...I've also trained to a lesser degree in jujutsu, ninpo, capoeira, and Tai Chi. I've tried some BJJ and systema. After awhile, they're not all that different anymore! And you start thinking, "Hmmm, I know this is Silat, but I've learned a technique a lot like this one in kenpo."

I had this discussion with my instructor who's been training for more than 30 years in various arts, several of which he's sandan and yondan. He's planning on concentrating on just one art for the foreseeable future. Now he wants to get "really good" at one style. Go figure. He also accepts that some of us prefer to crosstrain.

Yes I think it depends on what your objective is.

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
A martial art, to me, is anything that is designed to improve someones chances of avoiding a violent conflict, and surviving one if it is unavoidable.

To this end I would say it is never possible to 'master' a martial art. It is only possible to improve our odds as best we can. However, it is possible to reach the peak of our martial arts career after only a short time, a few years perhaps. The 'it takes a lifetime to master the arts' is usually a fallacy. It takes dedication, hard work, and long hours spent training.
I totally agree with this.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember a discussion on a different board about kicking with front feet and the idea of trying to be symmetrical betwwn left and right. One person pointed out that in the training time it took to go from ok to good with his left foot, he could go from good to great with his right foot (I'm just paraphrasing, but that was the intent). The illustration of "Superfoot" Wallace was used as someone who was very good who only really used a few kicks from one side.

Anyway, it started me thinking, though, of the same approach to single arts versus MMA. I currently just do TKD (although our instructor teaches self-defense which uses some TKD, some Hapkido, and some other stuff). I'm not a professional fighter, nor do I aspire to be one (at 35 years old I just started this 7 mos ago). I'm wondering if in the time it would take one to become skilled at multiple disciplines, one would be better served at becoming really skilled at one?

OP
J

jjmcc

Zujitsuka said:
It depends on your goals and your reason for training. If you are training for discipline, spirtual reasons, etc. (i.e. Shorinji Kempo, Ki Aikido), there is probably no need to cross-train. If you're training for self protection purposes or for competition, cross-training is the way to go.

BTW, you'll never master anything. You'll just get better at it.
but can you not train in one martial art for the historical and spiritual side and another for the sporting aspects ?

OP
T

TimBreuning

I don't mind cross training. I was shodan before I even tried it, dna now I'm very glad I did it. The differences in techniques have helped me become better in my original style.

Don't just stick to one style - open your minds and try something different.

However, I suggest you first get some experience in one style before moving on. It will help you learn other styles more easily.

/Tim:)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
TimBreuning said:
I don't mind cross training. I was shodan before I even tried it, dna now I'm very glad I did it. The differences in techniques have helped me become better in my original style.

Don't just stick to one style - open your minds and try something different.
As Jay mentioned, there was a pretty good discussion of this topic in another area of the board. I agree with Tim-the differences in technique/strategy/focus can improve the original or base system. I have recently started doing some Kali with a friend whom I am teaching TKD. We have a great time training together. We are both learning...about ourselves, other arts, and our respective arts.

Miles

Latest Discussions