Cross-Training JKD with....

OP
K' Evans

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just noticed this late reply. I am actually trained in the OJKD school, so we have different ideas about cross-training. I understand that the JKD Concepts school actively promotes cross-training, which I am in no way against. However, I am also pretty comfortable in the OJKD school, hence I don't think cross-training is a totally necessity (at least for now since I am still new).

Reaction score
You mentioned muay thai as a viable option, i would suggest this over both boxing and kickboxing since basically you are already training in jun fan kickboxing which derives all the basics from boxing already. Muay thai on the other hand allows you to experience training power side back as opposed to jkds power side forward, as well as more options for the clinch giving you a few more concepts to play around with. Also the focus on the thigh kick will supercharge your pananjakman and panantukan combination.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Your time might be better served doing more JKD. My uncle helped me train for about six months so I got very little, albeit, hands-on experience. It's about your personal expression of fighting method in which body and mentality play an equal role. My uncle's 'method' was wrestling. Never took a different MA class in his life. He's just capable because he doesn't go against his personal abilities, he trains with them. He boxes his way. We beleive JKD is a concept in it's individuality of fluidity. The expression of self. If you train hard, are open minded and can or already have found your natural fighting mode, keep going with it. If you know how you fight, anything else might be superfluous except, of course, the other instructors knowledge, concepts and wisdom that just might not have occured to you. Check out burmese boxing for an adventure. Bodybuild, hit the bag, stretch and eat your wheaties. Good luck.

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score
why not become more prolific at JKD? there is so much to learn,absorb, and finding your own way in it that a beginner should place all his focus on that!!!

OP
K' Evans

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, thanks for the replies. I have taken more time in developing and refining my techniques. I think I am starting to understand what it means to absorb a technique and to refine it till it is second instinct.

MingTheMerciless

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Go with BJJ and I believe that Kali are included in your JKD concept . Boxing is good as it buffer up ur punches .

Because in JKD , I believe that they may have taught u practical stand up wrist lock .

MingTheMerciless

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just give every martial art a try ya know , see whether u like it or not , and most importantly the schedule should not be too stressful on you . And also make sure that the instructor and fellow students are not an ******* !!!!!

But it would still be better to stick with an art for about a year or 2 before going into another one as by then you are already feeling comfortable with what you are doing .

Reaction score
Just give every martial art a try ya know , see whether u like it or not , and most importantly the schedule should not be too stressful on you . And also make sure that the instructor and fellow students are not an ******* !!!!!

But it would still be better to stick with an art for about a year or 2 before going into another one as by then you are already feeling comfortable with what you are doing .

I love your quote! thats what a true Martial Artist should stand for.

Latest Discussions