cross-cultural training

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was curious... in asian countries that have a strong martial history, do they tend to also import foreign martial arts? For instance, is there a strong judo following in Korea, or Muay Thai in Japan? Kung Fu in the Philipines? Fencing in China?

I find it pleasant that in most large cities you can find a wide variety of martial traditions, and I was just wondering if this was the case elsewhere!

It is generally agreed that Karate is based largely on Kung Fu. There is a well founded beleif that Tae Kwon Do is based on a large amount of Shotokan, and that Hapkido is based largely on Aikido. There is also the thought that Hwa Rang Do is based on a mixture of hard and soft styles from China, and Ju Jutsu from Japan.
Are cross cultural Martial Arts taught directly like what you say? Yes, there are some schools of Brazial Ju Jistu in China, Wing Chun in Vietnam, Kempo in Mayalsia, and so on. It does happen, to degrees. No one can really stop it, but there is such a strong cultural self value, that it is limited. In the area I live in there are schools of Martial Arts from all over the place. If I were in some were in China, they'd probably be mostly Chinese schools. America does have it's own martial arts, but we have a much smaller sense of cultural self, so it happens more often that you would train in a none-American Martial Art.

Yes there is an incredibly strong Judo following in Korea and it is called Yudo there.

You will also find martial arts from around the world in various asian cities. There is BJJ in Japan/Tokyo. When I was in India they were really, really interested in Instinctive Response Training. So much that if I could open a Training Hall there I would. There is a strong Boxing presence around asia but particularly in the Philippines.

So yes people from around the world are interested in martial arts from other places. That is in my opinion.

I was curious... in asian countries that have a strong martial history, do they tend to also import foreign martial arts? For instance, is there a strong judo following in Korea, or Muay Thai in Japan? Kung Fu in the Philipines? Fencing in China?

I find it pleasant that in most large cities you can find a wide variety of martial traditions, and I was just wondering if this was the case elsewhere!

I found Kendo and BJJ in Beijing and I suspect you might find a Judo school there someplace too but that is only a suspicion

I think a more interesting question is to what extent a so-called native art (an art that originates in the country or region that it it being taugh...i.e. Karate in Okinawa/Japan, Wing Chun in China, etc) might borrow from foreign arts? If so, what are the odds that proper credit would be given to the other arts in question?

I know in the US, it is very common to find school that teach elements (if not entire arts) in addition to their core art. My school teaches grappling derived from Judo and jiu-hitsu along with TKD. Another TKD school down the street teaches Krav maga in addition. I know a ken(m)po place that also teaches wing chun.

How often does one see that abroad?

Peace,
Erik

I think a more interesting question is to what extent a so-called native art (an art that originates in the country or region that it it being taugh...i.e. Karate in Okinawa/Japan, Wing Chun in China, etc) might borrow from foreign arts? If so, what are the odds that proper credit would be given to the other arts in question?

I know in the US, it is very common to find school that teach elements (if not entire arts) in addition to their core art. My school teaches grappling derived from Judo and jiu-hitsu along with TKD. Another TKD school down the street teaches Krav maga in addition. I know a ken(m)po place that also teaches wing chun.

How often does one see that abroad?

Peace,
Erik

Can't speak for all of China or even part of it for that matter but what I have come across in dealing with Beijing so far is that there are a lot of people teaching that have been training one art for a very long time, Chen, Xingyi, Bagua, Long Fist, Taiji, etc.

But there are others that start with one and move onto another but it has seemed to stay within the culture. For example Xingyi>Bagua>Taiji or Long Fist>Taiji or Long Fist>Tongbei.

However I did not think to ask the Kendo guy I came across if he trained any other styles but it would have been a good question to ask.

Another thing to take into account in places like Beijing is that many, not all, sifus do not want you to train with anyone other than them while you train that style. But it is not uncommon for a student to study with Xingyi master ‘A’ for a while and then move on to Xingyi Master ‘B’ either. Also they tend to hold classes 5 to 6 days a week and many of their students go 5 to 6 days a week. Now that I think of it they may run 7 days but I am not sure.

What I found interesting was that the Kendo School also ran 5 days a week but students did not all go 5 days a week and the BJJ School only ran 2 or 3 days a week.

Latest Discussions

Back