Creating your own custom martial arts.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi iklawson you are correct in some ways, but there are times when a martial artist would want to create a more simplified and practical version of the arts they have learned, making adjustments and refinements to the techniques they have trained with.

what i mean by simplifying their martial arts to make it more practical, i am refering to cutting out impractical techniques such as the tornado kick, high side kick, hook kick and opting for more practical kicks such as the front kick, low roundhouse kick to the shin, a roundhouse kick to an unguarded head, knee kick against opponents that attempt takedowns, and as for striking techniques cutting out reverse punch and spear hands, and then opt for a straight punch with the fore knuckles to the body, a palm strike to the head , elbow strikes against opponents that managed to get in close range for grappling, those kinds of simplifications and adjustments to their martial arts fighting style, and the thing you said about watching movies, i don't watch movies, i still attend classes in taekwondo with vietnamese taekwondo grandmaster Dang Huy Duc as a brownd belt and i do Tenshikai Aikijutsu under vietnamese aikido master Dang Thong Phong as blue belt((you can look both of my masters up)) and i do attend a boxing gym as to cover the punches that taekwondo barely has((covering the aspects of punching and kicking by training in both boxing and taekwondo, and grappling covered by aikijutsu)), with that aside although my rankings are not first dan black belt and above, i have already understood the concepts and have great deal proficiency in striking kicking and punching, i even made adjustments that they don't explicitly teach in class, such as not forcing the leg into a chamber position but rather allowing the kicking leg to auto chamber and fire by the power you draw from the ground, allowing the hip to rotate by itself as you perform the kicking and striking techniques rather than doing it manually, boxing is perfect as it is for punching, because it covers that you draw power from the ground, but more importantly how to not telegraph your punches unlike what we would do in taekwondo, but the main point is you create a martial that suits your needs for each aspect and be able to apply them in serious situations such as a life threatening situations, but however i do respect that one needs prior martial arts experience before they can think about combining their martial arts styles they have learned =)
You learn what works for you by training and by experience. And it will change over time with changes in your skill, experience, and physical condition.

You are over-complicating this. Just train under an instructor who knows how to fight and do what he tells you.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi iklawson you are correct in some ways, but there are times when a martial artist would want to create a more simplified and practical version of the arts they have learned, making adjustments and refinements to the techniques they have trained with.

what i mean by simplifying their martial arts to make it more practical, i am refering to cutting out impractical techniques such as the tornado kick, high side kick, hook kick and opting for more practical kicks such as the front kick, low roundhouse kick to the shin, a roundhouse kick to an unguarded head, knee kick against opponents that attempt takedowns, and as for striking techniques cutting out reverse punch and spear hands, and then opt for a straight punch with the fore knuckles to the body, a palm strike to the head , elbow strikes against opponents that managed to get in close range for grappling, those kinds of simplifications and adjustments to their martial arts fighting style, and the thing you said about watching movies, i don't watch movies, i still attend classes in taekwondo with vietnamese taekwondo grandmaster Dang Huy Duc as a brown belt and i do Tenshikai Aikijutsu under vietnamese aikido master Dang Thong Phong as blue belt((you can look both of my masters up)) and i do attend a boxing gym as to cover the punches that taekwondo barely has((covering the aspects of punching and kicking by training in both boxing and taekwondo, and grappling covered by aikijutsu)), with that aside although my rankings are not first dan black belt and above, i have already understood the concepts and have great deal proficiency in striking kicking and punching, i even made adjustments that they don't explicitly teach in class, such as not forcing the leg into a chamber position but rather allowing the kicking leg to auto chamber and fire by the power you draw from the ground, allowing the hip to rotate by itself as you perform the kicking and striking techniques rather than doing it manually, boxing is perfect as it is for punching, because it covers that you draw power from the ground, but more importantly how to not telegraph your punches unlike what we would do in taekwondo, but the main point is you create a martial that suits your needs for each aspect and be able to apply them in serious situations such as a life threatening situations, but however i do respect that one needs prior martial arts experience before they can think about combining their martial arts styles they have learned =)

None of that is really creating a customised martial art though.

I do wonder if you truly know the meaning of the words being used?

What you call refining techniques to make them more efficient I call "training".

Getting rid of techniques - all well and good until that time comes when something you specifically and intentionally chose to ignore is the best course of action.

High side kick works very well indeed if you are capable of using it.

A hook kick can put someone off balance extremely efficiently - if you are capable of using it.

A tornado kick - well it's probably not ideal as an intentional go to move, but if that roundhouse misses because they step back then why waste the momentum you created?

Conversely, something like a low roundhouse kick to the shin is a very low value move.

Train what you're good at, improve what you're not so good at, don't use what puts you in the floor - it's hardly rocket surgery.

OP
A

Ascendingsoul

White Belt
Reaction score
None of that is really creating a customised martial art though.

I do wonder if you truly know the meaning of the words being used?

What you call refining techniques to make them more efficient I call "training".

Getting rid of techniques - all well and good until that time comes when something you specifically and intentionally chose to ignore is the best course of action.

High side kick works very well indeed if you are capable of using it.

A hook kick can put someone off balance extremely efficiently - if you are capable of using it.

A tornado kick - well it's probably not ideal as an intentional go to move, but if that roundhouse misses because they step back then why waste the momentum you created?

Conversely, something like a low roundhouse kick to the shin is a very low value move.

Train what you're good at, improve what you're not so good at, don't use what puts you in the floor - it's hardly rocket surgery.
yes you do have a point that it should be common sense to not use blatantly impractical techniques like the tornado kick, the low roundhouse kick to the side of the knee is what i meant not the shin if you kick hard enough you could put the opponent out of commission, and the reason why i called high side kick impractical it is because it is not just slower to execute than other kicks, but it is because it is more telegraphed and once your opponent are aware of the side kick they can easily sidestep and counter attack.

But you are right that the high side kick still has its uses but it would be best to execute when the opponent is in a weakened state or execute it as a surprise when they are less likely to react.

and yes absolutely training is great major part of refining the techniques, however i meant the other half where you could make adjustments to the technique you train with, like opting for letting the power you draw from the ground to auto rotate your hips and auto chamber and auto extending the kick all simultaneously in one motion in a very fast time frame, and getting rid of any micro movements that would telegraph your techniques to the opponent especially opponents that are keen of telegraphic movements.

But all in all i absolutely agree a martial artist should always do what works for them and don't do what doesn't work for them.

If possible i would like to change the post title to "combining learned martial arts disciplines, and optomizing the combined martial arts for practical usage in sparring or situations that necessitates self defense".

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
like opting for letting the power you draw from the ground to auto rotate your hips and auto chamber and auto extending the kick all simultaneously in one motion in a very fast time frame

I was going to mention this bit too.

If your active turning kick (say) consists of prepare, chamber, rotate, extend, kick - you don't know the kick.

The whole thing is one fluid move in application.

In practice, in training, in patterns, in line work - then it's broken down into the separate components to build muscle memory.

In sparring I only ever do a deliberate and separate chamber (or any other portion of any technique) as a distraction...

From my interpretation of the criteria in your posts that means I have created my own customised martial art, only I haven't. I don't do pdg-fu, I do TKD.

Likewise, every martial artist who has honed their skill has, by your definition, created their own customised martial art - only they haven't. Only the most pretentious of practitioners would claim to have done so.

There are people who have customised, and have developed, and have merged and mixed - but the honest ones describe what they have done and never hide their inspiration.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes you do have a point that it should be common sense to not use blatantly impractical techniques like the tornado kick, the low roundhouse kick to the side of the knee is what i meant not the shin if you kick hard enough you could put the opponent out of commission, and the reason why i called high side kick impractical it is because it is not just slower to execute than other kicks, but it is because it is more telegraphed and once your opponent are aware of the side kick they can easily sidestep and counter attack.

But you are right that the high side kick still has its uses but it would be best to execute when the opponent is in a weakened state or execute it as a surprise when they are less likely to react.

and yes absolutely training is great major part of refining the techniques, however i meant the other half where you could make adjustments to the technique you train with, like opting for letting the power you draw from the ground to auto rotate your hips and auto chamber and auto extending the kick all simultaneously in one motion in a very fast time frame, and getting rid of any micro movements that would telegraph your techniques to the opponent especially opponents that are keen of telegraphic movements.

But all in all i absolutely agree a martial artist should always do what works for them and don't do what doesn't work for them.

If possible i would like to change the post title to "combining learned martial arts disciplines, and optomizing the combined martial arts for practical usage in sparring or situations that necessitates self defense".
Friend, from what you have written so far, I just think you are barking up the wrong tree. I get the feeling that you are trying to get ahead of yourself in your training and martial arts career. To be honest, that is not a big deal because I think most people try to plan ahead of where they are in their martial arts journey and usually miss the mark because they "don't know what they don't know" (to borrow a phrase). That said, we're here trying to let you know. It is our combined experience that you should just find someone who knows how to fight and learn from him. He will teach you what you need to know and he will help you "customize" the techniques and strategies of his fighting style to your body, your mind, and your capabilities as you learn and grow.

Moving on: Your formatting and use of paragraphs has improved. This post is more readable than the last. Good job.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Do you do a martial art that allows you to develop your own game?

Or is this thread dependant on having to manage a super structured system.

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think it is very practical and has been going on before are time here on earth every style came from another at one point.Now to me personally every single martial art has something to offer and every single martial art has something they could add.Some might think there styles are flawless, but if you cross train a little i think can only make you better for instance say two guys have the same skills in bjj ,but one the guy's also maybe a blk belt or highly skilled in one or more arts who is going to be the more complete fighter imho. I think if mma taught anyone anything is that there is always room for improvements !

Last edited:
OP
A

Ascendingsoul

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you do a martial art that allows you to develop your own game?

Or is this thread dependant on having to manage a super structured system.
I do 3 seperate martial arts being Taekwondo under grandmaster Dang Huy Duc being brown belt in that discipline, Aikijutsu under master Dang Thong Phong being blue belt in that discipline, and Boxing at a local boxing gym, however i am thinking of mixed martial arts being exactly the discipline i am looking at, as it contains all aspects of being a complete martial arts system that allows you to combine multiple disciplines of martial arts that you have learned.

I think its very practical and has been going on before are time here on earth every style came from another at one point.Now to me personally every single martial art has something to offer and every single martial art has something they could add.Some might think there styles are flawless, but if you cross train a little i think can only make you better for instance say two guys have the same skills in bjj ,but one the guy's also maybe a blk belt or highly skilled in one or more arts who is going to be the more complete fighter imho. I think if mma taught anyone anything is that there is always room for improvements !
yes i absolutely agree all martial arts have things to offer,cross training allows you to attain certain skills and techniques that one art has that the other might not have, for instance if one only trained in striking arts he will have trouble on the ground, or if one only trained in grappling arts he would be too passive, whereas the one who has trained in both striking and grappling arts will be able to handle the 2 scenarios efficiently in contrast to the other 2 martial artists who didn't train for their respective opposing elements, and that is absolutely correct that there is always room for improvement, getting to a high level isn't the end of your martial arts journey rather it is a endless journey to continue improving as a martial artist.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do 3 seperate martial arts being Taekwondo under grandmaster Dang Huy Duc being brown belt in that discipline, Aikijutsu under master Dang Thong Phong being blue belt in that discipline, and Boxing at a local boxing gym, however i am thinking of mixed martial arts being exactly the discipline i am looking at, as it contains all aspects of being a complete martial arts system that allows you to combine multiple disciplines of martial arts that you have learned.

Sounds fair.

Do MMA.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score

what i mean by simplifying their martial arts to make it more practical, i am refering to cutting out impractical techniques such as the tornado kick, high side kick, hook kick and opting for more practical kicks such as the front kick, low roundhouse kick to the shin, a roundhouse kick to an unguarded head, knee kick against opponents that attempt takedowns, and as for striking techniques cutting out reverse punch and spear hands, and then opt for a straight punch with the fore knuckles to the body, a palm strike to the head , elbow strikes against opponents that managed to get in close range for grappling

those kinds of simplifications and adjustments to their martial arts fighting style, and the thing you said about watching movies, i don't watch movies, i still attend classes in taekwondo with Vietnamese taekwondo grandmaster Dang Huy Duc as a brown belt and i do Tenshikai Aikijutsu under vietnamese aikido master Dang Thong Phong as blue belt((you can look both of my masters up)) and i do attend a boxing gym as to cover the punches that taekwondo barely has((covering the aspects of punching and kicking by training in both boxing and taekwondo, and grappling covered by aikijutsu)).

with that aside although my rankings are not first dan black belt and above, i have already understood the concepts and have great deal proficiency in striking kicking and punching, i even made adjustments that they don't explicitly teach in class, such as not forcing the leg into a chamber position but rather allowing the kicking leg to auto chamber and fire by the power you draw from the ground, allowing the hip to rotate by itself as you perform the kicking and striking techniques rather than doing it manually, boxing is perfect as it is for punching, because it covers that you draw power from the ground, but more importantly how to not telegraph your punches unlike what we would do in taekwondo.

but the main point is you create a martial that suits your needs for each aspect and be able to apply them in serious situations such as a life threatening situations, but however i do respect that one needs prior martial arts experience before they can think about combining their martial arts styles they have learned =)

Thank you, this post explains a lot. I may agree or disagree with you , but now I understand you a lot better.
Kicking: Given that Chung Do Kwan was one of the first Kwans and is known for its overall power and emphasis on kicks to the head agrees with what you are saying. I learn Moo Duk Kwan before Taekwondo became a sport, we spent 40% of our time working on hand techniques and 60% of our time on kicking so not all Taekwondo works only on Kicking.
I agree with you on high side kicks, when I was a young man I could side kick almost straight up, but sparing or fighting my side kicks were no higher than the chest. It is your chose on how you do your side kick, your side kick sounds like the way I did it went I studied long fist Kung Fu, personally I prefer the power of the Taekwondo side. This is just my opinion if you do not do a traditional Taekwondo side kick you are giving up something special.
I total agree that you can learn a great deal from boxing.
Did you know when Ali knock out Sonny Liston , he said he used a reverse punch. It looked like an overhand right to me, but Ali was so fast who knows.
Your grandmaster taught the South Vietnamese Army, I am sure he could teach you a lot about hand techniques.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Friend, from what you have written so far, I just think you are barking up the wrong tree. I get the feeling that you are trying to get ahead of yourself in your training and martial arts career. To be honest, that is not a big deal because I think most people try to plan ahead of where they are in their martial arts journey and usually miss the mark because they "don't know what they don't know" (to borrow a phrase). That said, we're here trying to let you know. It is our combined experience that you should just find someone who knows how to fight and learn from him. He will teach you what you need to know and he will help you "customize" the techniques and strategies of his fighting style to your body, your mind, and your capabilities as you learn and grow.

Moving on: Your formatting and use of paragraphs has improved. This post is more readable than the last. Good job.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I would suggest a more liberal use of periods, however.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am wondering what fellow martial artists think about this little tutorial about creating our very own martial arts that is to be practical and functional?

As martial artists we know that martial arts is a method of using your body and limbs as a weapon, for generating power use the energy you draw from the ground as a power source rather than muscle power, don't overcommit on twisting the hip, because overcommiting the hip twist into a punch or kick ironically robs most of the speed and power from the punch and kick, instead do just the right amount of hip twist while you draw power from the ground pushing off the back leg simultaneously in one motion in your punches and kicks, if performed correctly you might notice the punches and kicks are faster and more powerful than the punches and kicks you have most likely performed before, because the power you draw from the ground through the quick push of your back leg generates alot of power ,speed, and acceleration for the striking and kicking techniques than other techniques that lack that quick push off the back leg, then once you accomplished that focus on cutting off unnecessary movements in your techniques, such as raising your knees high for kicking, instead let the kicking leg be loose so when you draw power from the back leg((which can be the kicking leg)), and do a non exaggerated hip twist the kick will be faster and more powerful and most importantly non-telegraphed, which means you can mostly likely kick your opponent without them reacting to it, because you aren't signalling your attacking intentions, the same applies in punching don't flare out your elbow or wind back to punch, instead keep your elbows tucked and while you draw power from the ground through the quick push off your back leg and a non exaggerated hip twist, punch your opponent with the 2 protruding knuckles of either fists right off the bat with none of the telegraphed movements mentioned, no winding your punches, and no flaring out your elbows and you shall see improvements in your punching ,kicking, and striking techniques in your custom martial arts, just add leg stretching for flexibility, speed training for explosive power and speed, bag work,conditioning drills, strengthening exercises, plyometrics, aerobic exercises, and if you want you can incorporate some grappling techniques borrowed from grappling martial arts, and sparring practices, and you may just have successfully created your very own functional and practical martial arts =)

Fifteen years old. Starts thread about creating your own custom martial arts....

Damn, it's got to be great being young.

OP
A

Ascendingsoul

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, this post explains a lot. I may agree or disagree with you , but now I understand you a lot better.
Kicking: Given that Chung Do Kwan was one of the first Kwans and is known for its overall power and emphasis on kicks to the head agrees with what you are saying. I learn Moo Duk Kwan before Taekwondo became a sport, we spent 40% of our time working on hand techniques and 60% of our time on kicking so not all Taekwondo works only on Kicking.
I agree with you on high side kicks, when I was a young man I could side kick almost straight up, but sparing or fighting my side kicks were no higher than the chest. It is your chose on how you do your side kick, your side kick sounds like the way I did it went I studied long fist Kung Fu, personally I prefer the power of the Taekwondo side. This is just my opinion if you do not do a traditional Taekwondo side kick you are giving up something special.
I total agree that you can learn a great deal from boxing.
Did you know when Ali knock out Sonny Liston , he said he used a reverse punch. It looked like an overhand right to me, but Ali was so fast who knows.
Your grandmaster taught the South Vietnamese Army, I am sure he could teach you a lot about hand techniques.
That is very Interesting Chung Do Kwan as i have looked up is a martial art that was trained under by general Choi Hong Hi who is the founder of ITF Taekwondo by combining his disciplines in Shotokan Karate and Taekkyon including Chung Do Kwan and is the one who taught my grandmaster Dang Huy Duc Taekwondo, and you are right Chung Do Kwan is a martial art that is known for its power and emphasis on kicks to the head.

and yes i absolutely agree Boxing is a great complement with Taekwondo because you learn alot about executing fast powerful and precise punches with great timing along with evasion work, and as for Muhammad Ali he is a very famous boxer known for his great speed and power, i don't doubt that he could execute a reverse punch with such a speed that it would look like an overhand right.

and yes my taekwondo grandmaster Dang Huy Duc did taught several hand techniques such as the knife hand, hammer fist, reverse knife hand, spear hand, reverse punch, straight punch, and palm heel strike, and there are probably more hand techniques from first dan black belt and above that he hasn't taught me yet having only reached brown belt at the moment, i will continue my taekwondo training to learn the techniques that may be taught at first dan black belt and above before i will enroll in mixed martial arts in the future, and as for the traditional taekwondo side kick i agree it is very powerful and can be effective if executed at the right opportunity, preferably in a combination with punches and other kicking techniques like the roundhouse kick and front kick, and only doing the side kick at chest and gut level during sparring or fighting.

Those are great points you have brought up thank you. =)

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is very Interesting Chung Do Kwan as i have looked up is a martial art that was trained under by general Choi Hong Hi who is the founder of ITF Taekwondo by combining his disciplines in Shotokan Karate and Taekkyon including Chung Do Kwan and is the one who taught my grandmaster Dang Huy Duc Taekwondo, and you are right Chung Do Kwan is a martial art that is known for its power and emphasis on kicks to the head.

and yes i absolutely agree Boxing is a great complement with Taekwondo because you learn alot about executing fast powerful and precise punches with great timing along with evasion work, and as for Muhammad Ali he is a very famous boxer known for his great speed and power, i don't doubt that he could execute a reverse punch with such a speed that it would look like an overhand right.

and yes my taekwondo grandmaster Dang Huy Duc did taught several hand techniques such as the knife hand, hammer fist, reverse knife hand, spear hand, reverse punch, straight punch, and palm heel strike, and there are probably more hand techniques from first dan black belt and above that he hasn't taught me yet having only reached brown belt at the moment, i will continue my taekwondo training to learn the techniques that may be taught at first dan black belt and above before i will enroll in mixed martial arts in the future, and as for the traditional taekwondo side kick i agree it is very powerful and can be effective if executed at the right opportunity, preferably in a combination with punches and other kicking techniques like the roundhouse kick and front kick, and only doing the side kick at chest and gut level during sparring or fighting.

Those are great points you have brought up thank you. =)

I real;y liked your post.
When I was your age I though if I worked hard throw the magic of martial arts I could beat everyone except my instructors. I was in the navy in my prime with 5 or 6 years of Martial Arts training, I was in the Gym and an All Navy Boxer was lightly making fun of Martial Arts. So I got in the ring with him, the only rule was we wore boxing gloves.
With in about 3 or 4 minutes of sparing he knock me out. The only time in my life I have ever been knock out. I could not figure out why I could not beat him he was my size. I later figured out, he train in his art of boxing 8 hours a day 6 days a week and travel once a month to fight the best fighters in the arm services. I had to do a job ,so I only train 2 hours a day, The main ingredient in the magic of Martial Arts is training.

OP
A

Ascendingsoul

White Belt
Reaction score
I real;y liked your post.
When I was your age I though if I worked hard throw the magic of martial arts I could beat everyone except my instructors. I was in the navy in my prime with 5 or 6 years of Martial Arts training, I was in the Gym and an All Navy Boxer was lightly making fun of Martial Arts. So I got in the ring with him, the only rule was we wore boxing gloves.
With in about 3 or 4 minutes of sparing he knock me out. The only time in my life I have ever been knock out. I could not figure out why I could not beat him he was my size. I later figured out, he train in his art of boxing 8 hours a day 6 days a week and travel once a month to fight the best fighters in the arm services. I had to do a job ,so I only train 2 hours a day, The main ingredient in the magic of Martial Arts is training.
I absolutely agree that training with diligence is what allows all martial arts techniques to work with great efficiency, i usually train 3 times a week with 2 hours in Taekwondo and 2 times a week with Boxing of 1 and half hours and Aikijutsu on the weekends of 2 hours, continuous training along with dedication to improving your techniques allows for great precision power and speed of the technique's execution, without great dedication to training all techniques no matter how good they are would be completely useless.

the biography you shared about entering the navy and losing to a boxer dedicated to his training was very Interesting to read, it shows that without great diligence and effort in training and improving your techniques, all of it would go to waste in moments that you need it the most. =)

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would have to agree currently I train aikido 3 to 5 times a week and bujinkan a few times a week too I have been thinking of adding back some heavier based striking art im thinking some form of Japanese karate to further my over all budo.Now like i said up top every art can offer something good to further your journey and every art is also lacking things if one does not realize that I'd say they maybe to one minded and might need to expand their horizons just a bit and test there selves ion other arts just my opinion!

Last edited:
OP
A

Ascendingsoul

White Belt
Reaction score
I would have to agree currently I train aikido 3 to 5 times a week and bujinkan a few times a week too I have been thinking of adding back some heavier based striking art im thinking some form of Japanese karate to further my over all budo.Now like i said up top every art can offer something good to further your journey and every art is also lacking things if one does not realize that I'd say they maybe to one minded and might need to expand their horizons just a bit and test there selves ion other arts just my opinion!
I agree with everything you have said, not one art provides everything you need, learning through a variety of martial art disciplines is essential to improving as a martial artist, because you will acquire many techniques and skills that you would have otherwise never learned if you stick to only 1 art, being open to learning new things is essential to improving as a martial artist. =)

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think the most important thing in creating a custom martial art is to realize that not all moves are
for everyone.

I, for example, do not practice blade kicks (awful for my inner thighs) or crescent kicks (fastest
way to gain knee pain).

Also, I eventually discarded side kicks in push kicks' favor. This is just a personal judgement.
Side kicks are more powerful but also more telegraphed and I deduced that push kicks offer
a better power/speed balance.

Latest Discussions