Cracking Skull With Punch

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a discussion on how much force is required to fracture the skull
How much force does it take to break a human skull?

Here is a discussion on how much force is required to crack a coconut
How much force is required to break a coconut

Human Skull=1100 lbs Coconut=1400 lbs So, seeing legitimate coconut breaks, theoretically you could train the hand to crack a skull

That being said, the head is very mobile and still very hard. While it COULD be done, it would more than likely be a rare occurrence.

The human skull varies widely in thickness, shape, etc, depending on the exact portion of the skull under discussion. Coconuts are relatively symmetrical and roughly the same thickness (except for the "eye"). While the figure of 1100 lbs of force may be true in some areas, it will be waaayyyy off in others.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The human skull varies widely in thickness, shape, etc, depending on the exact portion of the skull under discussion. Coconuts are relatively symmetrical and roughly the same thickness (except for the "eye"). While the figure of 1100 lbs of force may be true in some areas, it will be waaayyyy off in others.

I pointed this out in my post and spoke in "theoretical terms" based on force/hardness. One of the thinner spots of the skull is only about 1.5mm thick.

I still think it would be possible to get enough force to crack the hardness of the skull, BUT I also think it would be highly unlikely due to the factors you reiterated from my previous post.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone can kill someone with one punch so of course they can crack a skull with one

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone can kill someone with one punch so of course they can crack a skull with one

Not going to happen. One punch is a myth in itself. You would have to rely on the environment. IE you see a wall, or a kerbstone etc. One punch theory works, but you ain't going to crack a skull. Just lovely stupid to believe that.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apology accepted

Actually I was being sarcastic. But fine, whatever you are inclined to believe. Seriously though, apply the post content about cracking a skull. A head shot of that nature is always visible. You aint gonna crack a skull with one punch. Don't have a clue why you woukd think that. So maybe chill out a bit. I am actually genuinely curious?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually I was being sarcastic. But fine, whatever you are inclined to believe. Seriously though, apply the post content about cracking a skull. A head shot of that nature is always visible. You aint gonna crack a skull with one punch. Don't have a clue why you woukd think that. So maybe chill out a bit. I am actually genuinely curious?
Chill out? Lol you're the one getting upset because I pressed dislike

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not going to happen. One punch is a myth in itself. You would have to rely on the environment. IE you see a wall, or a kerbstone etc. One punch theory works, but you ain't going to crack a skull. Just lovely stupid to believe that.

While I agree completely that causing a skull fracture with a single punch against an unsupported head is extremely unlikely, it's not impossible, so it's not a myth.
And there are certainly a number of one shot attacks which can disable or kill an opponent. Again, they're not necessarily high percentage shots, but they're possible.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I agree completely that causing a skull fracture with a single punch against an unsupported head is extremely unlikely, it's not impossible, so it's not a myth.
And there are certainly a number of one shot attacks which can disable or kill an opponent. Again, they're not necessarily high percentage shots, but they're possible.

Point taken. Yes, still a myth though.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really?

Delusion, not reality. If it were easy you would be seeing many people dead.

We do not. Hence its fantasy handed down by mental midgets.
Oh really

One Killer Punch proves too "deep" for viewers who say programme is shocking

Man who killed banker with one punch cleared of murder

Man jailed for six years for killing banker with one punch

Man killed best friend with 'one punch' in 'silly' row - BBC News

Oh dear looks like you do find that it happens. Looks like those "mental midgets" are right

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three articles, two incidents. In one, it clearly states the victim hit his head when he fell, so the punch didn't kill him. The other doesn't contain any information about the actual immediate cause.

It is extraordinarily rare for someone to die from a single punch. Falling and hitting their head is a bit more likely, and still not terribly common. Your original comment seemed to refer to an actual one-hit kill - the sort of thing advertised by some arts - and that is bunk.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Three articles, two incidents. In one, it clearly states the victim hit his head when he fell, so the punch didn't kill him. The other doesn't contain any information about the actual immediate cause.

It is extraordinarily rare for someone to die from a single punch. Falling and hitting their head is a bit more likely, and still not terribly common. Your original comment seemed to refer to an actual one-hit kill - the sort of thing advertised by some arts - and that is bunk.
Yep. The overwhelming majority of one-punch kills are from the victims falling and hitting their head on something hard (like a curb).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I don't think anyone has said it NEVER happens. Just that it's ridiculously unlikely. The vast majority of deaths occurring from single strikes are not the result of the strike, but of the persons head hitting something like pavement or a curb when they fall. I'd say that accounts for better than 99%.
I cannot recall ever seeing a single strike fatality that wouldn't fall into that category in 35+ years in the ER. Not one. Dramatic clickbait headlines of questionable accuracy not withstanding, of course.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someone who trains seriously in iron fist and has an extremely strong punch (Mike Tyson level), punches someone in the head cleanly could they crack the persons skull? And don't give me any of that nonsense of "oh they'll just break their hand." People can punch people in the head if they condition their fist. My question is specifically if the skull could be cracked by a punch?

Certainly, but what is probably going to happen is not the actual fracture of one of the large skull bones, it's the separation of a fusing line, or one of the smaller, more fragile bones, such as those of the face, temple, etc. Temporal bone, zygomatic arch, eye orbits, like that. Don't need to be Iron Mike, either, nor have Iron Palm/Fist training, just know how to strike hard, or get lucky.

Elbows and knees, if the person couldn't move away, too.

Problem is physics. If the person is standing, the amount of force needed to break something like that is more than is required to send them flying back, so what typically happens, by design by the way, is the person falls away and down. But, being down, is when curb stomps take place, and those Definitely can crack the skull, about anywhere.

Latest Discussions