core strength

sonsage

White Belt
Reaction score
Trying to grasp the concept of core strength. I found that your core is not the abdomen itself but somewhere behind the abs. So just because you have a six pack doesn't necessarily mean you have good core strength.

How does core strength help in punching and kicking power. I understand that it stabilizes the body. However, can you feel it working? I don't necessarily feel my arms being attached to somewhere behind my abdomen when I punch. Nor do I feel my legs attached to the spot when I kick either.

So does your core strength help in striking, but you just don't feel it working?

Tabris

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your core strength is not just inside your abdomen, but rather is inside your legs and arms too, its the strength all your strikes, kicks, movement are based on. Another way to think of it is as working with smaller weights to "cut" your muscles, rather then get them bigger. Abdomen core training is for your balance, health and it really does help with your kicking, remembering the 'Basics Arts' your punch starts from your feet upward. You should be able to feel your movements become sharper when you've built on your core, but remember it is not just your abs that need the core training, legs, arms, chest, back, everything.

I hope that helped and was not too confusing. :S

Latest Discussions