Consciousness...

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Under that model, do you think that we have any memory or "ego" or recognition of ourselves of the past form when we move into a different form?

I have to say I have not thought about the maintenance of ego as we pass from form to form, but now that I, do I would have to say there must be some maintenance of ego or it would cease to be consciousness of self and become consciousness of simply being in a broad sense.

If we maintain the ego (in the psychoanalytical sense), then by my perception, there really is no death. We may move from one form to the next, or insight and perceptions may change, but our conscious remains in tact.

I guess that is where I was trying to get to. The physical form ceases to be, but the essential self (which must attend to ego in order to recognise it is a self) continues to exist.

If we do not maintain the ego, then as I see it, we truly do die at the end of our lives. Our "energy" may continue on in tact to a different form, or it may be splattered across the universe. Either way, our "selves" as we know it would be destroyed..

I'd like to think that this is not the actuality, but I can understand how this position can be defended. The presumption being that we are nothing more than a fortuituous energy pattern that is commonly occuring. It vibrates in a certain way for a time and then is gone. It's a bit sad really.

I don't know which is correct (nor does anyone for that matter). One definatily is more of a theist perspective then the other. Being a theist, I would like to think that the ego is somehow preserved. I am willing to take that leap of faith, anyway, at least for now.

I am not a theist, preferring a Daoist philosophical point of view, but I would like to think that we (whatever that might be) continues through the infinite ages.

Latest Discussions