Complimentary Arts

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
My school teaches hosinsul and hapkido in our curriculum. We also learn break falls, and some tumbling from time to time. I figure that way, we learn to fight on our feet, in close quarters, on the floor, and not to get hurt if we get sent to the ground.

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

We incorperate Filipino knife fighting, along with Krav Maga (sp?) and even some ground fighting, to start. As we build on these, we'll add judo into the mix. This will compliment the ground fighting aspect of it all.

You see, we are more modernized in our school and our hand usage is a large part of our training. Sure, we use those typical TKD kicks, but some of us are a little less prone (age restricted) to leaping high into the air to throw out a kick (jump high up and through a punch will through them off too :wink:)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i think any art is going to compliment your training...even if they're similar...say tkd and some styles of karate...it's still gonna get you thinking about things through a new perspective...if you're training in olympic style taekwondo...you definetly need some sort of art that emphasizes holds/locks/throws...hapkido, aikido, judo, jujitsu...anything can work as long as you can find a good instructor. I must say that a lot of tkd people like to say, "we do grappling/locks/throws/whatever at my school"...usually this means they do a couple of moves every once and a great while, but they don't do them even close to enough to be able to use them without having to think about application, body positioning and so forth...just like striking, these things need to be second nature to be effectively used...before you start attacking me...i don't know what your school does...and if it does incorporate these elements on a regular basis...great, consider yourself lucky. but if it doesn't...and you don't do any cross training...don't try to use them in a real situation...cause you'll end up getting hurt trying to remember "how do i enter into this throw" or "which hand do i grab with for that lock"...if this is your situation...stick with kicking and punching...it'll serve you best

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
The first art I studdied after TKD was Muay Thai.It revolutionised my TKD by giving me versatility of range and targets.As a TKD fighter I had been largely a long range fighter using my kicks as my primary weapon.My hands wre comparitively weak both in defence and offence.I had practised some locks and takedowns but not against resisting opponents.So I was vulnerable against guys with good boxing skills when they got inside.
MT gave me more effective hand attacks and defences,close range fighting skills(knees/elbows/clinches/throws) and of course powerful low kicks and defenses against them.I gained a whole new level of power in my kicks, and the ability to take a real hit. So I would deffinately advise TKD practisioners to look into MT or similar styles.
But it wasnt always easy to intergrate the 2 styles.One big difference is the fighting stance.TKD uses a side on stance which is good for throwing back spinning kicks and side kicks from the lead leg.But this stance makes it difficult to do effective shin blocks which are vital against powerfull low kick attacks.Thats one reason why the Thais use a more squared stance.
I actually had to try and 'forget ' my TKD for a while in order to learn MT properly.Then once my MT got better I was able to intergrate the 2.Now its more like my TKD complements my MT.
TKD definately gave me great control of my legs which I find now gives me an edge over pure kickboxers.
Now I'm working more on locks and submision to give me effectiveness in all ranges.

Latest Discussions