Competing

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does your Art compete in the sport aspect and if so what rules do you follow and how is it ran?
Terry

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My HKD school has no competitive team as our focus is a less sport oriented and more reality based (not to say that competing is not helpful for training) We only have a demo team at our school right now. I'm sure if I wanted to independently compete I could use my schools' name with my teacher's permission he would be cool with it.

Kashi

White Belt
Reaction score
terry; not so much. hapkido is rather brutal and many of the techniques (most?) would be illegal in a tournament setting. there have been hapkido tournaments, though, just with the 'legal techniques' a shortened list of available techniques. or you could enter a MMA tournament with a shortened arsenal; many of those guys have used hapkido effectively.

spinkick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever been to a Hapkido competition, however I did go to a Tae kwon do tournament but they made me register as a white belt.... It was brutal a hapkido blackbelts against a bunch of low rank Tae kwon do guys, weekend warriors that though because they won a few sparring matchies they could go get in a tournament. haha I'll never fight in another tournament again.

Latest Discussions