Comparison

G

GouRonin

In the old system, the yellow belt technique "Spreading Branch" was replaced by "Captured Twigs."

Some people do one or the other or both. Which do you prefer to do, or both, and why?
:confused:

OP
P

paulk

Hi

I can only remember times of old but if I recall, Spreading branch puts you in a position where the attackers body weight is dropping rapidly as you have effectively kicked their left leg away.

At the point they are dropping your leg is extended beneath their centre of gravity and thus is vunerable as in the street, people actually fall over.

Captured twigs is a more complex technique for yellow belt level but offers a safer response.

OP
G

GouRonin

Captured Twigs puts you into a headlock if you're not careful.

I myself do both just because you never know and it's good to learn them both.
:hammer:

OP
P

paulk

Good point

Teach everything, when the student is ready they will mix and match bits of technique to fit the situation.

We look at set techniques as a way to introduce a student to the basic tools and their application. This lets the student perfect the use of their available weapons, learn about important stuff like safety, protection, targets, body position, application and follow up

Once a student becomes less mechanical we teach them to mix and match the tools to a level that they can hold their own in a fairly pressured random attack lineup. You don't have to get lumped too often to learn that you need to select appropriate responses and have a choice.

(We don't teach Kenpo but we still utilise the principles that we have learnt in the past)

Latest Discussions