M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Kirk
hehehe .. {doing my best Old Disgruntled Hunchback Man voice:}

"In my day, we dipped our hands in glue, then in nails
and had to fight for our black belts that way. We didn't have
pads, or mats, the floor was covered in broken bottles and thumb
tacks, and hot fiery coals, and we were damned glad to have it!"

HA! Thats nothing......in MY day we had to dip our hands in SUPER glue and then in RUSTY nails and had to fight for our Black Belts THAT way. We didnt have Pads, or mats, the floor was covered in broken bottles and thumb tacks and hot fiery coal AND fire was set up around the ring! While our instructors threw spears at us! We were damned glad to have that!

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Master of Blades
HA! Thats nothing......in MY day we had to dip our hands in SUPER glue and then in RUSTY nails and had to fight for our Black Belts THAT way. We didnt have Pads, or mats, the floor was covered in broken bottles and thumb tacks and hot fiery coal AND fire was set up around the ring! While our instructors threw spears at us! We were damned glad to have that!

Boy, did you guys have it easy. We had to fight 10 black belts on a 2' x 2' platform set afire and suspended over a pit of venomous snakes, and there were pointy spikes lowering down from above. We were naked and oiled up with the instructors around the pit cracking us with whips, hurling knives, axes, spikes, shurikens, spears, rats, and scorpions at us. If we got scratched, cut, stabbed, bit, stung, or bruised, we failed and had to take the test over later.

Not only were we glad to have it, we paid an exhorbitant amount for the privilege. You guys are a bunch of softies!

Mike

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by pesilat
Boy, did you guys have it easy. We had to fight 10 black belts on a 2' x 2' platform set afire and suspended over a pit of venomous snakes, and there were pointy spikes lowering down from above. We were naked and oiled up with the instructors around the pit cracking us with whips, hurling knives, axes, spikes, shurikens, spears, rats, and scorpions at us. If we got scratched, cut, stabbed, bit, stung, or bruised, we failed and had to take the test over later.

Not only were we glad to have it, we paid an exhorbitant amount for the privilege. You guys are a bunch of softies!

Mike

........*Mumbles* :shrug:

OP
D

Despairbear

I had some one tell me once will all seriousness, that MA's only work aginst other people who know MA's.

Despair Bear

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Despairbear
I had some one tell me once will all seriousness, that MA's only work aginst other people who know MA's.

Despair Bear

Yeah. That one's generally spouted by people as an excuse (or, in their words, "reason") not to train.

Another along that line is, "I'd love to train, but I'm not in good enough shape."

Not a myth in itself, but it implies that you have to be in good shape to train in MA ... and that belief is most certainly a myth.

Mike

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Despairbear
Despair Bear

Actually there is a lot of truth in it. I would say, far too many MA people who only train inside their dojo and compete with others from their own style, they would get their *** kicked when they come across someone NOT from their art. The really good ones would improvise and adapt fast enough. The rest (yours truly included) would just roll over and play dead. lol

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
Actually there is a lot of truth in it. I would say, far too many MA people who only train inside their dojo and compete with others from their own style, they would get their *** kicked when they come across someone NOT from their art. The really good ones would improvise and adapt fast enough. The rest (yours truly included) would just roll over and play dead. lol

Agreed. That is one of the few areas in which that statement has merit. But, often, I think it's not used that way.

Mike

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anyone who studies (insert style 'x' here) can kick a** on anyone who studys ( insert style 'y' here).

OP
E

Elfan

All martial arts teachers have to be called sensei.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper
hmm.. well if a brown belt keeps fighting a black belt eventualy he will beat him. But I can't see a brown beating 3 blacks..

When I trained under my brother-in-law and I was a Sankyu, I had to spar my 2 seniors at the same time. They were a Nikyu and a Shodan.

They were all over my A$$!

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Originally posted by akja
A guy I know still believes that one!

Hey, I STILL believe that one.

The one that I always thought was corny was the one propagated by every major style that their's was the only legitimate style out there. Oops, sorry, trade secret given away there, eh? "No, Mr. Taylor, Karate is not a legitimate art form. They smash boards with their heads. We do it with our feet."
Gee, big difference.

(j/k, Karate folks, don't flame me)

Seriously, there's a lot of bs out there about the MAs, which is probably because, no matter how many Jet Li or Van Damme flicks have been made, we're still on the outskirts of the mainstream. So, of course, rumours beget myths beget legends beget folk lore. "If you don't go to bed right now, the Kenpo-man will get you, little Johnny." Hey, that'd be a good one! :p

(see previous comment in paranthesis)
((of course, I'd crack one about TKD, but everybody knows we couldn't frighten a 90-pound 12-year-old who'd never even heard the word "fight" before in his life. Hey, there's a TKD joke, muahaha!!!))

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ninjas are fake.

Only a ninja can kill another ninja.

AND, back in MY day we had to dip our hands in Caramel and then roll them in M&Ms and Gummy Worms AND THEN fight to the death.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seriously, there's a lot of bs out there about the MAs, which is probably because, no matter how many Jet Li or Van Damme flicks have been made, we're still on the outskirts of the mainstream. So, of course, rumours beget myths beget legends beget folk lore. "If you don't go to bed right now, the Kenpo-man will get you, little Johnny." Hey, that'd be a good one! :p

around here I AM the kenpo-man and it works less every day.:shrug:

I always got a kick out of the old "If your instructor isn't oriental then you're not really studying MA"

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

We used to jokingly tell our students that to test for their blackbelts that they would have to wear a trenchcoat over their gi, walk out onto the dance floor of the meanest honky tonk in our area, take off the coat, say something like " who wants some", and then try to make it out the front door alive. We had a few of 'em going for a little bit and they looked scared.

:D

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Technopunk
Ninjas are fake.

Only a ninja can kill another ninja.

AND, back in MY day we had to dip our hands in Caramel and then roll them in M&Ms and Gummy Worms AND THEN fight to the death.

Bah, your training was inferior to mine, Pesilats or EVEN Kirks! :p

OP
R

rmcrobertson

How about:

a) if you get into a fight and you've trained hard enough, you won't get hit or hurt;

b) if your technique's right, and you go up against a guy with a knife, you won't get cut;

c) sparring, fighting and self-defense are the same things.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yup. This is what my instructor does. We didn't have to win, just had to do our best. And it was at the very end of the test, after we're already wiped out physically and mentally.

More a show of "heart" than anything else.

Mike

I had to do this for my Green belt in EPAK, except it was only 4 guys and also, I didn't have to win, it was more to do with heart than physical prowess.
--Dave

:asian:

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score

Mike

Originally posted by Master of Blades

Originally posted by Kirk
hehehe .. {doing my best Old Disgruntled Hunchback Man voice:}

"In my day, we dipped our hands in glue, then in nails
and had to fight for our black belts that way. We didn't have
pads, or mats, the floor was covered in broken bottles and thumb
tacks, and hot fiery coals, and we were damned glad to have it!"

(In a really bad Yorkshire, England accent)

Aye, but you try telling that to the young folk of today, and they won't believe ya!!

:rofl: :rofl:

Latest Discussions